Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some people have shiite luck when it comes to customs, some don't. I've been fortunate.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They know their regs about as well as some postal or UPS counter employees know the regs about shipping firearms.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That figures, this was back in 2001 when my wife brought me the box full, tis when I got my humidor., grin It is well seasoned now. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ran by JR's in Burlington,NC late yesterday afternoon on my way back to Mooresville after slaving over a hot customer base all day. Picked up some La Gloria Wavell's and had a nice relaxed smoke on the way home, tempered with a bubbly Diet Dr Pepper. Sun roof open, listening to the wind, watching the sunset. It was a good day made better.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm hoping Barak will weigh in on this thread.

My favorite Internet source is cigarsinternational.com; but I have also had good experiences with jrcigars.com and cigar.com. I like Thompson's International for non-cigar cigar stuff, like humidors and lighters and humidifiers and cutters and so on, because they generally have good prices; but I haven't had a lot of luck with their actual tobacco--especially their house brands.

I'm a very light smoker, so I don't have extensive experience with hundreds of brands; but when I think "smooth and buttery," two come to mind. The first would be a Padron Maduro: I'm not sure a smoother cigar exists. The second would be CAO's new mx2 model (mx2 means "Maduro times two"--it has two maduro wrappers, one layered over the other). It has a very dark, sweet, thick flavor that might be described as "buttery."

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NathanL
The Cubans day has come and gone. They got left behind...funny with no money how that happens.

I've never ordered them I buy them at a local shop but I really don't do much quantity.

I do the same thing....it would be cheaper to buy from Thompson's or JR....but I want to make sure my handy downtown cigar shop stays in business despite recessions, layoffs, hurricanes and tobacco taxes, so I buy mine there. Plus, I like to squeeze and sniff.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Padon Maduro is duly noted. I'm a light cigar smoker as well and that sounds like my preference. Have a JR's local and will check out the brand.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I usually buy mine in Tucson, but have had good luck with JR's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tobacco Valley was the land along the Connecticut river from Hartford all the way to S. Vermont. Its a rich flat river bottom land. The farming is just about all gone now for tobacco. I remember when it was busy. Tobacco Valley

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Padon Maduro is duly noted. I'm a light cigar smoker as well and that sounds like my preference. Have a JR's local and will check out the brand.

Oh yeah. If you're a light smoker and you haven't yet tried one of those, you owe it to yourself. Not a cheap stogie--about $7.00/stick around here or so--but not a premium ($15-20) or super premium (>$50) either.

One of the best things about the Padron is its characteristic easy draw. It means you get scads and scads of flavorful, creamy, off-white smoke with no effort.

Even if I could afford to smoke one or two every day--and enjoyed smoking that often--I wouldn't, because I want to continue to be surprised by the quality and the flavor, not to become accustomed to it.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://phoenixcigar.com/shop/

I stick with short, fat cigars as I don't have two hours to smoke one. I also like the flavor of Central American cigars over that of Dominican Republic cigars, except perhaps the Bauza Robusto.

Astral Besos
Baccarat Rothschild
Don Tomas Clasico Rothchild (my main smoke)
Helix X550 Robusto
Hoyo de Monterrey Rothchild
Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend Robusto Grande
Joya De Nicaragua Antano Consul
Punch Rothchild Natural
Puros Indios Rothchild
Te Amo Robusto

If I have more time, for me there is nothing like a Padron 6000 or Te Amo Toro.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Barak, 'preciate it. I'll try that Padron out.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Yesterday, after a couple of hours work and hearing that we were going to be in the high 70-80's for a few days, I left for my place in Rehobeth. As I usually do, I stopped in at my favorite cigar joint to gather up the latest 411 (his opinion, of course) and the man gifted me a Perdomo (lot 23) saying he felt Nicaragua was the leader in cigar making these days. Anyways, went to the boardwalk,staring at the ocean and lit her up. Not a bad cigar, at all. Mild to slightly moderate to my untrained palate.

Today, after a stop at the Levi, Brook's Brothers and Gourmet Kitchen outlet stores, I think I'll buy Barak's Patron recommendation.

Beautiful day at the beach. Watched the surf fisherman try their luck but saw no one enjoying success. I'm thinking we're still 3 weeks early with all the rain and cool temps we've been having.

Anyways, have a good weekend gang!

Last edited by isaac; 04/25/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd recommend anything Padilla (minus the Obsidian) and anything Oliva (especially the Serie V).

Go Ducks!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montecristo,Opus x and R&J's here.....at least two a day!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[email:http://uptowncigar.com/]http://uptowncigar.com/[/email]

Great service , great prices and selection.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you get some, do like Billy Bob Clinton does and soak them insiderher. Gives them a pork flavor.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I smoked up some sticks from Cuban Crafters in Miami. Readers digest type review;

Cuban crafters cabinet (I smoked various sizes) I thought these were damned good tasting. They tend to canoe, but they're powerfull and very tastey.

Cuban crafters cupido criollo. This is hands down my favoite from CC. Much like the cabinet, just a little better in taste. awesome, and reasonably priced

Don Kiki white and brown labels - both very good tasting. Kiki red and green labels - yawn.

Medina 1959. I've only smoke one of these, so it might not be fair here, but I thought this one was bad. It is supposed to be the flagship stoggie of CC. I let this stick sit in the humi for 3 weeks before I smoked it. I'm not sure how to describe it, plywood or sawdust. Hopefully others had/have better luck, as I know CC prides thenselves in this one.

Cuban crafter contraband. These sticks are stupid spendy. Not my type of go to everyday smoke, but definatley a good tasting cigar. decent burn, draw as well as taste. But they're $300 something per 25.

Arte Cubano (Honduras) 7x48 - These are dogshit. A friend and myself smoked a couple of these, and we both agree it was a total waste of $40. I have about 21 of these left if anyone wants them or actually likes them, if so PM me. Otherwise they're going in the garbage. Unless my dog wants to chew on 'em.

CC cupido tuxedo. These are spendy, like $7 ea. I've only smoke one, so again take this with a grain of salt, but for the flavor they offer, they should be sold in cheap bundles at about $2 per. This one tasted "okay", but not $180 per 25 okay.

Barak, per your recomendation I smoked up a 5 pack sampler of rocky patels, ordered from Thompson, and I thought they were pretty good. Thanks.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently have been going through a stash of Rocky Patel Fusions - nice smooth smoke for me...

However, sis and her fiance got back from Cuba last week and for my birthday I got two Cohibas...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I smoked a ton of Cubans in Hong Kong and China, and didn't think they were by and large any better than a number of other Dominican or Hondurans. I'll still put an Avo No.2 up against about anything.....except an absolute top of the line and perfectly fresh Davidoff or R&J. And they cost eleven bucks instead of twenty.

Many Cubans have quality control, package sealing and storage issues. I try to only buy the ones in tubes which give you some guarantee they won't be dried out.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,857
Posts18,478,540
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.