Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
According to a corrected report by FactCheck.org, there's no dispute that thousands of handguns, military-style rifles and other firearms are purchased in the U.S. and end up in the hands of Mexican criminals each year. It's relatively easy to buy such guns legally in Texas and other border states and to smuggle them across.

But is it true, as President Obama said, that "more than 90 percent of the guns recovered in Mexico come from the United States?" Government statistics don�t actually support that claim.

The figure represents only the percentage of crime guns that have been submitted by Mexican officials and traced by U.S. officials. We can find no hard data on the total number of guns actually "recovered in Mexico," but U.S. and Mexican officials both say that Mexico recovers more guns than it submits for tracing. Therefore, the percentage of guns "recovered" that are traced to U.S. sources necessarily is less than 90 percent. Where do the others come from? U.S. officials can�t say.

Fox News has put the percentage of guns that have been traced to U.S. sources at only 17 percent, but we find that to be based on a mistaken assumption that throws its figure way off. We can't offer a precise calculation because we know of no hard information on the total number of guns Mexican officials have recovered. But if a rough figure given by Mexico's attorney general is accurate, then the actual percentage of all Mexican crime guns that have been traced to U.S. sources is more than double what Fox News has reported.

Correction, April 22: We originally concluded that Obama�s 90 percent figure was �not true� and based on a �badly biased� sample of recovered guns. We are retracting both those characterizations, and we apologize to our readers for this error. We have rewritten the article throughout to correct this.

Our error was to think we had confirmed that Mexican officials submit for tracing only those guns they believe likely to have come from the U.S. Law enforcement officials say they don't know if that's the case.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and places like this are the only places you will read this 'retraction'.
MSNBC certainly won't give it air time.

Sam......

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This means nothing. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knew those grossly mispreprented numbers were a bad lie. The liars that inhabit our government know no truth. It is inconvenient to them and immaterial.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They do it in the name of Gun Control which means People Control

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the article: "Where do the others come from? U.S. officials can�t say."

Can't say...

hmmm.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will believe it when I hear BHO say it 5000 times!

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is old news but the administration is using the 90% figure in conjunction with talk of a treaty on gun control-no legislation, no representation, no seeing the light of day until/if/when it gets past, then, wham-O!

Email your congressmen now; it does no good preaching to the choir here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alan

I've listened to Obama long and hard. Every thing he says comes across to me as a half truth, a deception or a flat out lie. He always has the lying lawyer smile plastered on his face.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 04/23/09.

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
No, 90% of the guns in Mexico do not come from the United States---but, 90% of the Mexicans in the United States do come from Mexico..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickyD
This means nothing. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knew those grossly mispreprented numbers were a bad lie. The liars that inhabit our government know no truth. It is inconvenient to them and immaterial.

And LYING, when the stakes are this high,.....

Could / Should become a CAPITAL offense !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
They do it in the name of Gun Control which means People Control

People = Capital offense, too ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
17ACKLEYBEE, Everything I hear BHO say I take as a bald faced lie. I don't believe anything he says. (even if he says it 5001 times).

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knew those grossly mispreprented numbers were a bad lie.

Well your intelligence qualifier rules out 90% of the liberal voters so this stills matters...

This is such a typical tactic of the shameless liberal politician. Throw a completely unsubstantiated lie out there that supports your position, let your buddies in the biased media play it a 1,000 times, then quietly retract it. That way, many people have already chosen to believe your lie based on false information and the damage is already done. Then they agree to forfeit another one of their valuable freedoms based on the lie you used as an entering argument. By the time you slip the retraction under the door in the dead of the night, they all forgot why they agreed to give up their freedom in the first place- friggin azzhole manipulators (no pun intended for you Barney Frank fans).

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,461
Posts18,508,218
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.