Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yesterday my 5 year old boy came into the house crying. He was riding his 50cc honda dirt bike out in the yard & suddenly he was up by the house crying.

I figure crash maybe... but i looked out in the yard & at a glance his bike looked fine, didn't run into anything, he had just stopped.

He was holding his hand which was in pain, he was crying.. He had a little scrape on his hand. It really wasn't clear at first what sort of accident he had or what exactly happened.

My older boy went out to investigate, he returned to the house to tell me that my largest landing net for fishing was all wrapped up in the back wheel of the dirt bike, basically destroyed.

My wife assumed he had ran it over somehow...

I had a pretty good idea what might have happened though.

so, when he stopped crying I asked him "Joey, which one of the animals were you trying to catch with that big net from your dirt bike? Was it Gus, Lucy or was it Gary?" (our pets. Gus is a lab, lucy is a basset hound & gary is a filthy outside cat)

He looked at me with big sad eyes.... "Gus, I almost got him too dad."

grin

so, picture a 5 year old boy on a tiny dirt bike with training wheels chasing a black lab with a huge landing net...

I'm so proud.

grin

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We "boys" are a dangerous sort arent we...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You best hope he doesn't read some of those "When I was a kid" threads that were posted recently or you are gonna have your hands full big time proud dad! laugh

Sassy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dave,

Glad to see that your son is developing quite normally.

Hell, how many of you guys have jumped off a roof with an umbrella, just to see...

Chris

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nah, that'll never happen. But Mom are real good at ratting their kids out to the grand children!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

Im all teared up for you. What a day to be a dad!

This got me too, "gary is a filthy outside cat".

Regards,
Gary

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He looked at me with big sad eyes.... "Gus, I almost got him too dad."

Congrats Dave , that is truly a " Yep !! That's my boy " moment cool

Last edited by M1894; 04/24/09.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not wanting to start the "dog breed" debate again here, but I am glad to hear that it was a lab your boy was chasing with a landing net and 50cc's of Honda fury!

Maybe I have just been lucky, but of the 50 or 60 labs that I have known over the years, I have never met one that wasn't nice or had ever turned on even the most abusive kid (and I have seen kids do some rough things to labs).

True of many other breeds I am sure, but based on my personal observations, labs (and beagles) are surely laid back and trustworthy breeds for kids to abuse.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just like John Wayne sitting on the fender of an old truck trying to lasso a rhino.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 8 year old son Team Ropes... Over the winter he was brainstorming and come to this conclusion.

"Dad, can you put the throttle of my 4 wheeler on the left side of the handle bar?"

My answer: "probably but, why"

sons response: "I have a hard time roping the dog right handed because the throttle is on the right side of the handle bar!"

The throttle is still on the right side of the handle bar!!!

Have Fun

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yer a killjoy BrocksDad. wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great story and you can be justifiably proud!

On any other forum you'd have the Libtards calling the ASPCA and HHS. This is "growin' up" as I remember it. wink

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
The pride a father feels for his progeny goes right to the top of my list labeled "The Good Stuff".

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Dave,

Im all teared up for you. What a day to be a dad!

This got me too, "gary is a filthy outside cat".

Regards,
Gary

Sometimes I resemble that remark!

Another Gary
Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Yer a killjoy BrocksDad. wink

Sounds more like he is encouraging the 8 year old to learn to rope left handed as well as right handed. cool

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
God bless boys.

They are something else.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When my son was about 7 years old, he was out swinging on the swing set - on the verge of a loop-da-loop. My wife is watching from the kitchen window at the sink, (No, she was not barefoot!) bill goes through the laundry room into the garage and came out wearing a bicycle helmet. Wife thinks, he's done with the swing and wants to ride. Nope, back on the swing set.

This was curious enough that she went out to see if there was a plan in place. Oh, yeah, says Bill. I'm gonna get the swing up as high as I can so I can do a flip!

Safety first! He had a helmet. grin

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I had to cut the landing net out of the back wheel. I imagine he had the little 50cc engine wound up as fast as my parental governor screw would allow. He probably had ole gus at a healthy trot reaching out to try to get that net over the dogs head & he must have missed & caught the net on the ground ahead of him.... from there, it ended up in the back tire & I imagine he went from full speed to a dead stop pretty much instantly which probably sent him over the handlebars...

Gus got away, Joey got scuffed up, dad's good "big fish net" was ruined... oh it just went from top of the world to "oh Chitte" in an instant!! grin

God i love that boy.

Going to have to talk to him about maybe trying for that filthy cat next time instead though.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave

God i love that boy.

Sounds like a great kid, but he ain't gonna date my daughters . . . .grin

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.