Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Still haven't seen it- but really- how much fun would it be to watch a bunch of Army Rangers, or Navy Seals in the same situation.

For one thing, the camera crew would not keep up-and F&G might have to restock the country afterward....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
We have various shows about army training and such,the best i saw was about selection for the marines,it was the 6 day survival
and the boys "found" this "dead" sheep and luckily for them it was still warm!!! TFF. They had the B gen on who said that sheep do have a habit of dying like that!then they go and pay off the farmer for his "dead" sheep!!!.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

B
B
Originally Posted by las
how much fun would it be to watch a bunch of Army Rangers, or Navy Seals in the same situation.

For one thing, the camera crew would not keep up-and F&G might have to restock the country afterward....

Excellent post, I'd pay good money to see that show.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wonder what survival school they went too.
There are berries all over. I would be eating berries and drinking tea.
They didn't learn how to snare grouse or rabbits properly.
Strangely, the old lady who quit might have been the one person who was not spoiled. I think she saw the writing on the wall and bailed before true misery starts.
Strangely, maybe with the exception of the river guide who isn't the guide I would want to hire-they all fit the victim survival archetype.

This should be fun for us and miserable for them.
Sincerely,
Thomas

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I could not do it.. I mean being thrown in with a bunch of people like that, helpless. i think that was what the old lady was thinking. can tbeleive they couldnt scare up a ptarmigan or grouse in 3 days, or catch a fish, guess they never heard of a trot/pole line!

did you guys see they were using blue cord for thier snares? us campfire folks know that will never work!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kinda my feeling too. I only seen the last half of the show. What I found funny was them standing in a circle telling each other how hungry they were.
Are they getting paid to do it? Too bad they don't have two different groups...One, like the group they have & the other a group of experienced hunter/fisher types...I'd imagine the show would be even funnier...One group haveing a good time, the other, miserable as hell.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
it was entertaining smile

I enjoyed watching last season, made even ME feel smart!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That "old lady" is 47. Sheesh, she must have lived a rough life to have aged like that at age 47.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I about chit when i found out they were packing around a dutch oven!

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
33% gone

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked the "cocking" noises of .410 Shotgun. Seems like the fisherman dude saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to be around all these incompetent boobs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BIGBOB11
Originally Posted by las
how much fun would it be to watch a bunch of Army Rangers, or Navy Seals in the same situation.

Excellent post, I'd pay good money to see that show.

Seems there was a group of Seals dropped off just above Anchorage here a couple years ago and they had to call for rescue choppers because they got too cold...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dont know about a couple of years ago, but I know some seals had to be medivaced out of ship creek (arctic valley) about 9-10 years ago.

We also had some Marines do a freefall jump into malumute drop zone on ft rich in the middle of winter (around the same time). we had to warm up quite a few super grunts.

Some folks dont listen to common sense due to ego's. we didnt have a problem reminding them either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, those are the ones I was talking about...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not sure what these shows prove? That people that live in a city and are placed in the woods without the proper gear and/or the skills to use it, are going to have a tough time getting by?

They're all carrying heavy pretty packs yet no one seems to know how to improvise anything useful from the items they've been given. The .410 is sort of a waste because I doubt that anyone would opt to bring a gun of such limited use if they were in this situation...So why have one? If they're going to allow one gun why not two, or three? Trying to improvise fishing equipment by using sticks and handlines is also pretty tough to do. Why not just bring a pack rod? At least you have a fighting chance. Fish aren't that stupid.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
i watched that show for the first time. Its entertaining and funny. I just wonder what type of fishing guide that guy was?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah I watch too. Its like a train wreck, you just can't not watch it. The fishing guide was labeled as a "fishing outfitter", I guess that could mean guide, it could also mean travel agent. I guess I would assume that he has had some guiding experience under his belt. Although, he seemed like he didn't have much to offer. If I were him, I would have been fishing day and night not to look like an a-hole by not catching any fish. The older lady seemed like she knew something, but she didn't have much leadership ability. If you're the most experienced in a situation that involves real survival then you need to take control and start delegating and teaching. She could also have been full of it too.

They've been a little cagey about what gear they have. They appear to have everything they don't need. It seems crazy to carry heavy packs loaded with useless items. THey're lugging around a huge iron skillet, but they don't have proper fishing gear? WTF. I guess its pretty clear that they've run out of ideas for tv shows.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by TomSmith

They've been a little cagey about what gear they have. They appear to have everything they don't need. It seems crazy to carry heavy packs loaded with useless items.

That was part of the premise, when they started the show, they gave them all the gear, and told them to choose what to take.

Their inexperience led them to take everything, including useless and overly heavy items.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the show started, yes they made choices on what to bring.If the items available for selection are senseless, then you will end up with senseless and useless items in your possesion. The show is called an experiment and it really lives up to its name. If it wasnt for the scenery it would really be a waste of time. Ken

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by vssb
i watched that show for the first time. Its entertaining and funny. I just wonder what type of fishing guide that guy was?

I live just over 30 miles from where Joe, the fishing guide lives in Ashland, WI. Ashland is on Lake Superior and this is just a guess but I would saw he guides on the big lake where down riggers, skis w/relaases are trolled for Lake Trout, Salmon, etc... Somewhat different than what he faced in Alaska, but one would still think that he would/could have improvised.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,801
Posts18,516,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.