Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm at the point where if I'm going to wear a helmet, i'm going all the way. Meaning I'm going to wear a real helmet, full face, not a costume helmet like the daytona I ordered last summer.

We don't have a hemet law in MN, so if I wear one it isn't going to be one that's "just enough to keep Jonny law off my back". It's going to be a good one because my reasons will be for protection, not for apeasing the law.

If I get into a decent sized bike shop soon I'll look for the arai line.

That Corsair-V caught my eye right away with it's wide "eye port"

looks to be about $600 so I'd definately have to try one on & see what I think.

thanks

Something clever here.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
After working in a motorcycle shop all of my life and seeing many bikes come in after being wrecked and the owners not being so fortunate, I always were a helmet. I've been trhough them all, and now all I own is Arai. If you want an Arai, make sure you try on the different models they offer, as the different models are made to fit different shapes of heads. Getting a helmet that fits correctly makes all the difference.

Jess G

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

Yes my State (Oregon) has a mandatory helmet law. Even if it didn't I think I would still wear a helmet.
I do have a detachable windshield. It is a "must have" for myself on long trips.
I wear goggles too though smile
Good job!!

Do you gentlemen that prefer no helmet find that a half helmet keeps you from being able to see or react as fast as no helmet? I can agree that a full face helmet can get in the way, all a person has to do is try one on in a shop and try to walk around without knocking anything over! But I don't find any impairment with a half helmet except when going pretty fast. Then it can act like an airplane wing as someone already said. smile
I tried a half-helmet once. The operative word there is, 'once'.. Like having a parachute tied to your neck.. Nearly strangled myself.. THAT was the end of THAT.... What a pos...

Yeah, TAX HELL WISCONSIN used to have a helmet law. They finally repealed that stupid-azzed law but I don't remember when.. Best guess is about '70 IIRC.. Obviously, we had helmets along when we were touring other states; many had helmet laws and depending on the circumstances (like I294 around Chicago) they felt truly necessary.. What a thrill ride THAT was; trying to navigate 8 lanes with a thousand semis all going 80+.... But I digress..

All I can say is, if you wanna wear one - gopherit.. If not- gopherit. But now we have this miserable state trying to enact seat belt laws as a primary stop.. KEEP GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY FREAKIN' LIFE!!! LET ME CHOOSE....... If I have to I'll manufacture a fake seatbelt segment and velcro it to my shirt so it LOOKS like I have one on...

I'm REALLY beginning to HATE this state...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
All the guys who work in our emergency dept just love people who ride without a helmet! If the rider's not DOA they make a fortune on them! They help keep my hospital solvent! You guys can ride however you wish, that's your choice but I'd rather see you on the road than in my ER! Ride smart and ride safe!
I know, I know..

But right next to my pc here in the shop are two newspaper articles regarding motorcycle accidents.. One couple crashed; neither were wearing helmets - both had scrapes/broken bones but were going to be ok.. Second article - another crash, driver didn't pay attention and drove off the road. Both he and his passenger wore helmets. Both dead on impact..

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I will not get on a bike without my fullface helmet. I think your crazy to ride without a helmet. But, its not the government's business, it should be your CHOICE!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jet pilot type with full screen.
the older i get, the more i value what's left inside my head.
i don't heal as fast nowadays, either.
i also wear an armored jacket, even in boiling weather. the mesh ones are fine in summer. i'll be buying riding pants, too, this summer. road rash is NOT my friend...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Road rash is awful!
I have had a couple pretty good cases falling of the road bicycle at 20-25 mph.
Ugly...
sick

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear a half-face helmet when I ride, but don't believe it should be mandatory. You're only going to hurt yourself by not wearing one. Unlike mandatory seatbelt laws, which could actually save the lives of others in and around your vehicle.

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and i'll upgrade to a helmet with chin bar when i find one that fits without binding my glasses and sunglasses.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is the only helmet I can wear, and the wife makes sure I have it on before I get on the bus. grin

[Linked Image]

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Reynolds Wrap or generic brand - ?????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Full face when I'm riding with a capital R; open face full when bopping around town on errands and whatnot.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by husqvarna
I will not get on a bike without my fullface helmet. I think your crazy to ride without a helmet. But, its not the government's business, it should be your CHOICE!

Agreed. But, it should also be the insurance company's right to deny you coverage if you sustain injuries to your body which could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.
I think you nailed it, Isaac.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I always wanted to ride, but I knew a couple of people who got messed up doing it, so that's always cured my desire to buy a cycle when it arises...

I'm not as afraid of crashing the bike, as I am of the other idiots on the road -- the ones in cars, yapping on cell phones, failing to signal, etc.

Here in PA we just got rid of the mandatory helmet law a couple of years ago. What ticks me off, is that we have a mandatory seatbelt law, which IS a primary offense now IIRC -- meaning they can pull you over for no other reason than not wearing a seatbelt.

Don't understand that one at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I commented before reading ND's comments.
If your helmet is being blown around, that's because your fairing stinks, or your lid wasn't fitted properly. Too loose, sounds like. Some helmets have different shapes just like some shoes are lasted different. AND you can pad up most helmets these days for a custom fit.
As for peripheral vision being unduly restricted, that is completely not true. I've never worn a helmet that I could ever "see" where it matters, on the SIDES where peripheral "attacks" come from. The only restriction is above, but that's no worse, and in fact is as useful as a ball cap in shading your eyes at certain times of day.
Nobody's ever tried to hit me with a refrigerator, but they sure as heck have tried to attack me with Cadillacs on down. And the one time I WAS attacked from above, the bird died, not me.
Furthermore, a good skid lid keeps the wind, and the TEARS, and the BUGS away from your eyes, which helps you SEE. That's why I saw that *$^#(%*& bird coming and had a chance to spike him with my helmet.
Finally, as for chaps, they are not protection at all. If you ever fall and go boom, it is your BUTT (and your knees) that takes the most punishment. That's the way our body folds up and flops around, trust me on this. The only thing chaps do is splatter bugs, if you are going to wear leather that matters, not just to be cool, you need the whole works.
And what flops around the most when you go boom? Your HEAD.
Sorry, ND, but I just have to wave the bovine flag on this. Go get a decent open-face and good goggles from a dealer that will take the time to fit you properly.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by husqvarna

Agreed. But, it should also be the insurance company's right to deny you coverage if you sustain injuries to your body which could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.

Yep.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I say wear (or don't) what you want, just don't expect any medical coverage when you crash without one. I went for a ride yesterday on my buddy's bike and didn't wear a helmet. Not necessarily a smart thing but, whatever. However, when I was riding my bud's Yamaha R6, I did the whole gloves, helmet, jacket, etc. Also rode my friend's '06 YZ 250 dirt bike, and that thing just riding in the yard put more fear in me than any motorcycle I've been on yet, other than maybe the R6. I'd say get full riding gear for dirt bikes, as well.

If/when I do get my own bike, I'll definitely be wearing as much protective gear as I can comfortably. It was 90 degrees yesterday, and I was dying in a cutoff and jeans. I can't imagine wearing chaps and a jacket, it would've been miserable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few years back we went to the drags one weekend. The guy won his class in eliminator on a cycle. He had just went through the traps at 135 MPH don't remember the ET. Then as he cleared the clocks he lost it. He looked like a rag doll flopping down the asphalt. Well you've never seen any better response by emergency teams. After a very long 10 minutes he got up and walked into the Aid van. It made me a real believer that someone wearing good protective gear could walk away from that. He was released from the hospital 3 hours later. Wear it all you go around only once.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Half helmets are NOT the issue!!! The issue(s) corresponding to half-helmets are two-fold:

1. Riders NOT using DOT approved helmets. Far too many of the half helmets you see out there are cheap-o pieces of crap and/or "novelty" helmets. Those are typically worn because of helmet laws. Stupidly, the laws allow for these garbage helmets to be sold/used.
2. Improper sizing and/or strapping. A helmet of proper size and one that is strapped correctly will not come off in a wreck, particularly a low speed wreck!

I have been riding bikes for over 20 years and have used every variety mentioned here (always DOT approved, properly sized, and properly strapped). If you do those three things, you are much better off. For each of those three criteria you fail to do, your risk goes up exponentially!

I was in a bad solo high speed highway wreck one year ago. I hit the deck hard, at 75mph, after a tank slapper (wheel wobble). I was wearing a half-helmet that was DOT approved, properly sized, and properly strapped. I sustained no head injury at all, and the helmet did not come off even after tumbling and rolling down the highway.

Be smart with the helmet (see above) regardless of type. Wear pants, a leather jacket, gloves, and riding boots. I was, and I walked away with some scrapes, a broken finger, and a torn rotator cuff. Everything I had on protected me from near certain death!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (ATC, 38HBWC, 808outdoors, 35, 257_X_50, 11 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.