Campfire Kahuna
OH CRAP, I love it, least he's honest.

[Linked Image]

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It got him excused it sounds like. Wimps.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thinkin I'll go count...........................................

Except my dog's female. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Daddy told me, "Son, if you ever do anything that gets you put on trial, throw yourself on the mercy of the judge. Otherwise you will be putting your fate in the hands of 12 people who were too stupid to get out of jury duty".

I did serve on a Jury once. The boy on trial had shot and killed a drunk who was coming onto his property and threatening him. I'm not bragging but I believe that because I was on that jury, and foreman (not that that means anything) that the defendant was not convicted of murder. If I had tried harder to get off perhaps a kid who was defending his home and family would be in prison today.

There was another time that I told them that I could not be impartial as a juror. The case was where a guy had gotten drunk and had beat a woman and some other men with a pipe. They asked an honest question "could I be impartial?" (he was using the 'poor me, I was drunk' excuse) I gave them an honest answer, "Hell NO!" I was dismissed.

Jury duty is a pain, no doubt, but a necessary pain if we are going to preserve our freedoms. If the only people left to decide the fate of persons accused of crimes are truly those too stupid to get out of jury duty then Obama is going to smile at that one.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sounds about like my dad's attitude when he filled out the survey....never been called for jury duty and chances are aslong as i work for the paper its unlikely i will.....they sure as hell wont put me on the a district case cause i prolly know as much as either lawyer and i see most the paper work for the federal stuff out of Great Falls aswell.....every time someone who works here gets called, they drive the couple hundred miles to Great Falls, the lawyers find out yah work for the newspaper and they excuse you.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A friend of mine likes to say that we have as much access to the justice system as we do to an Olympic Four Seasons Hotel.

The current jury system is a joke and this guy in Montana gets it. I would like to see them pay something like $50 an hour portal to portal, and see how that works for them.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, if I ever had to rely on a jury I'd rather it was a group of people like on this site, than a bunch of people who had nothing better to do.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's brutal for the self-employed, I can tell you that.

If I had a job that paid me my salary while doing jury duty, it might actually be kind of a nice break from the grind.

But, I don't, and the last time I was called in it cost me some real money, at a time I really needed the money.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just wear my old shooting vest,.....covered with alla' the Right wing "Extremist" Organization's patches.

Never get picked.

That T-Shirt that you sent a pic of, Les,....that'd be a nice compliment to my vest,....No?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Downright skippy it would.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It's brutal for the self-employed, I can tell you that.

If I had a job that paid me my salary while doing jury duty, it might actually be kind of a nice break from the grind.

But, I don't, and the last time I was called in it cost me some real money, at a time I really needed the money.

Absolutely so.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife and I have probably come close to setting a record for the number of times we've served Jury Duty. There was always a reason to beg off but none ever convinced the presiding judge or Clerk of Court, so we just served.

These days it's a real inconvenience and sometimes, even a dangerous situation. We live about 40 miles from the courthouse and when the roads are covered with ice, neither one of us feels confident about making that drive.

Other than that, we feel it is a our duty and for the most part, we find the experience to be enlightening and worthwhile.

Everyone should have the experience of sitting on a jury with a number of their "peers". Some pretty astonishing things happen in a jury room and the opinions and beliefs are often very strong and diverse.

JMHO, YMMV

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Profession? Engineer
Education? Post Graduate
Background? Military, Conservative, Midwesterner
Pro Death Penalty? Yep.

Somehow they never select me... grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was asked once. Considering the duty was in Michigan and I was living in Texas and active duty - didn't have to go.

If asked I would be real honest about my answers - guessing my full honesty and answering questions the way I know how - I wouldn't ever be picked.

Me

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Served in the jury pool only once. Got tossed out of most trials for being an excop. Yeah,they asked that question. Only served on one and sent the b!tch to prison. Loved it!

If I get called again I'll show up with bells on.

O

Too old to suffer fools
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had it several times and it could be boring as crap. I live in a small area and a lot of people know each other. The last time I was called I knew both the lawyers, and was asked the standard questions if this would influence me. I said no. Finally the plaintiffs came in and I went to school with one of them. He said "Hello Marc", I replied "Hello Henry" and judge said you may step down!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Every time I got called for jury duty, I just did what someone told me a few years ago. " Be yourself, answer the questions as you would, not as you think they want to hear...it'll get you thrown out so fast..."
Sure enough, it works every time. Last time the question was any ties to LE? Yep I says, I train K9. " Could you be impartial?" Nope, I have a DISTINCT Law Enforcement Bias..." didn't let the door hit me in the azz on the way out...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My better looking half got a jury duty request packet once. One of the questions was about race. At the bottom of the multiple choices was the box marked "other". She wrote in "human, and that you even ask suggests you're a racist."

Never heard from them again.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course, compulsory jury duty involves every bit as much involuntary servitude as subpoenas and conscription.

I don't buy the "But you might be sending an innocent man to prison if you don't serve!" argument. If a thug says to you, "Do X or I'll beat your wife," and you don't do X, and he beats your wife, are you responsible for your wife's beating? Of course not: the thug is. Same-same if the thug is the State, X is jury service, and the beating is imprisonment of an innocent man.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.