Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by safariman
So, where did you hit piggy number 1? Where did hte bullet exit? The rifle and load should be good to go, I suspect, as I said before, that the rifle and load will perform admirably in the long run. Good luck, good hunting, and do report back when you can.

Only one pig was shot. It was a broadside shot, third rib behind the shoulder, went through both lungs and through oposite shoulder between 5th and 4th rib.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think he was operating on the assumption that you would use them on another 3 or 4 hogs to continue your testing.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any chance that the bullet tumbled before hitting the boar? Could it have hit some brush on the way to the animal or for some other reason hit when it was not point on? Anyway to examine the entrance hole in the hide?

Do the bullets that you have loaded have plastic meplats? Thats what TTSX means to me. That tip should resist closing from a bump better than the old plain TSX in theory.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by vital_kill
Here in california the big hogs are out and rooting all over the wet hillsides. My brother popped out of nowhere and grabbed me and my rifle and we took off. We stopped by the nearest toy store and I decided to grab a box of Federal 110 grain Barnes TTSX to try out. We got to the landowners house and saw rootings everywhere. So off we went, and within 2 hours of the hunt me and my big bro saw two big hogs wandering around a knoll and I placed the crosshairs right on him, a nice broadside shot. I took the shot and the boar just flew off like nothing hit him, ran into the thickets of live oak and I wasn;t able to get a second shot. We waited for 2 hours before we started tracking. No blood, nothing for 3 hours of tracking. Called in my buddy and his dog, he came up and we tracked for 2 miles of where I shot him and then finally the dog found the boar. Upon examining the entrance hole, it was very small, then we flipped the pig over and the exit hole was very small too. We gutted him up and the organs weren't heavily damaged, just a small hole through both lungs. Looks like it was hit with a FMJ. I supposed the bullet didn't opened up. I am very dissapointed with this style bullet. But, I will give it a few more chances to see how it performs as only one experience is not enough to judge.

Personally, I have never tried these bullets yet though I've recently been thinking of giving them a shot. Vital kill describes my apprehension. If my first experience was like this, it might be enough for me. IMO, there is something very wrong with a two mile track job on any double lung hit animal. Pigs are tough, but not armor plated. I'd be running partitions or A-Frames and the like.

CLB

Last edited by CLB; 05/01/09.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Very well put safariman! Took the words out of my mouth. This does not match my experience either and I have double lunged a PILE of game with TSXs.
Keep us posted on future experiences!
Ingwe

Remember, he was using the tipped TSXs, this might make a difference. My experience with that tipped Winchester bullet is the same- NO expansion at all on a bull elk. One incident doesn't define anything, but it was enough to [bleep] can the box and never use one again on big game. Hard to get over first impressions.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People that have had nothing but the usual excellent results with the mono-coppers often have a hard time making sense of how poorly they also work sometimes. I expect that if another dozen pigs are shot with what's left in the box, the results will be completely different in a very satisfying way. Whether that is enough to convince you to buy more or not is another question. I was an advocate of the early X versions before some of the current adherents even tried copper or at least before some of them had become convinced of its superiority. People's tolerance for failure versus success varies though, and some won't put up with unexplainable failures more than once. There definitely room in town for more than one show.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Much of California pig-hunting land falls in the dreaded Save A Condor zone where lead bullets are a big no-no...

Folks are going to have to figure out how to make the mono-metal bullets work...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What are the chances this was a different hog? Even with a dog, tracking a hog that's not bleeding is a hell of a lot less likely than a TTSX not opening. I'd be needing some tall reassurance that this was the same hog shot at before I'd go one step further

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wink Denial works. It's also a very useful tool for managing the data.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cali if full of hogs running around with holes through their lungs....

How could it NOT be the same hog! The 270 caliber X bullets are notorious for being unreliable- at least I have heard of more 270 problems than any other caliber.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well gentlemen, the first time I used a 175 Hornady at 7X57 velocity it didn't even penetrate the shoulder blade of a 160 pound blacktail. When it turned, I put one in the back of the head.

For about the next twenty years I used 175 Nosler partitions at 3,150 from a 7-.300 Weatherby. One deer in partictular acted as though it were not hit at all. It was at most 110 yards away. The 175 grainer made about a 2 1/2" entrance hole and a 1" exit hole. It hit just above the heart about two or three inches back from the heart. If the deer had run the quarter mile in the woods, I may have lost it. Fortunately I was in Eastern Washington and saw it fall in the sage. I called my shot so didn't shoot it again because I didn't want to destroy the meat.

I switched to Barnes and have great success.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Over/under at 6 pages............... easily.

Well friend, you are a prophet! One day and we are already at 4 pages. This is almost as reliable as a which is better thread wherin we are asked to pick a .270 vs 30/06 or 30/06 vs a 300 of some kind. smile I have about four posts in here already.....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Over/under at 6 pages............... easily.

Well friend, you are a prophet! One day and we are already at 4 pages.

It all depends how your computer is breaking things up. You just made the seventh post on page two for me. wink Now if these bullets were as boringly reliable as something like an '06, then you probably wouldn't get so much input. They're easy to love when they work right (kind of like a 220 Swift on deer or elk), but the argument for failing as a "solid" - which works well in theory- doesn't sell so well when it actually happens.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
First off, the pig was shot on an open knoll, no brush anywhere to deflect the bullet. Second, this is the same pig, as the pig I shot had no tail. My brother confirmed that too and the property is private and we were the only hunters. Yes the bullet is the "Tipped TSX." I have a GPS on hand it it was a confirmed 1.68 mile tracking and that hound is a champion bear tracker. Like I said, I am going to give this bullet more testing. Tomorrow morning I will head out to the ranch again and do some real test and I will also bring along a camera.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
vital kill,

Have you seen penetration to be a problem on these pigs, using other bullets, in the past?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i wouldnt waste the $2 bullet on a pig when a core-lok will kill 'em deader-n' dico.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
vital kill,

Have you seen penetration to be a problem on these pigs, using other bullets, in the past?

On the big boars, you need a tough bullet. They rub their hides on blue and live oaks and if the acorn crop is good they put on a big hunk of fat and 2-4" of hide. I used .270 130 partion in the past but I would lose the front core to the hide so I started using A-frames and 150 or 160 Partitions on big boars. For young pigs I can get away with 130 partitions and accubonds. These pigs that I hunt feed heavily on blackberries, figs, grapes, and acorns and they are tough.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I thought the tip on the TTSX was supposed to cure the occasional failure to expand?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Shoot enough bullets at enough things, and sooner or later you see inexplicable stuff. There is just a random element. I have no doubt that it happened just the way the OP described.

I started a "TSX pencil through" thread last summer, it went like 20 pages. Dangdest thing I ever read; I was called all sorts of things. In spite of that, I used 210 TTSX on a bull elk last fall--after I had the failure to open. Both those bullets were recovered with advertisement-photo-worthy expansion. (But I also chose to shoot it twice. Just in case.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vital_kill
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
vital kill,

On the big boars, you need a tough bullet. They rub their hides on blue and live oaks and if the acorn crop is good they put on a big hunk of fat and 2-4" of hide. I used .270 130 partion in the past but I would lose the front core to the hide so I started using A-frames and 150 or 160 Partitions on big boars. For young pigs I can get away with 130 partitions and accubonds. These pigs that I hunt feed heavily on blackberries, figs, grapes, and acorns and they are tough.

Ditto on that, brother. When I lived in Taxifornia, I used to hunt hogs quite a lot and had a big sow take several rib hits from a 338 Win Mag and keep going.... and going..... upon autopsie, the Nosler 200gr Ballistic tips failed to get into the offside lungs at all. She fially bled to death from several large holes in the on side lung.

I also have not been doubting your story at all. I will be waiting to see the report on how you do with these bullets over the weekend. Good luck and good hunting.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.