Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rosco1
there is ethic's and there is anal, why wouldnt you shoot? thats what you came for aint it?

Some of you guys crack me up. On the one hand, you say that if it's legal, then it's a question of personal ethics. I agree with that and I said so in a previous post. I sure as hell ain't here to tell you what you should and shouldn't do.

But then you want to turn around and ask me why I wouldn't shoot? And use words like "anal??" Why would you concern yourself with what I would or wouldn't shoot? That's a question of my own personal ethic. What do you care if I go sit on a stump and let 500 head walk by me? You want to question my personal ethic, now that's anal.

I wasnt directing that at you, or anyone else. I find road hunting very un-productive, but i will take an easy one if i can be that lucky. the "anal" thing is all too common on the internet when it comes to ethics, and i take it the same as some one trying to shove religion down my throat.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks rosco. The best thing about this thread is (IMO), out of everybody who said they personally wouldn't shoot, I don't think anybody tried to extend that to everyone else. And the more I think about it, I kind of agree with saddlesore, the proof is in the pudding. Heading out in the first ten minutes on opening day is one thing, heading back to camp on the last day of the season after a week of busting ass and not seeing anything is another....

That's why I like these kinds of threads, they make me think twice and look at different points of view, which is a good thing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guess a lot depends on tradition and were you hunt. In Texas it would be illegal to shoot from any public road....including any National Forest road......but it is totaly legal to hunt from a vehicle on private property.

In fact, on some South Texas ranches it is a very common method used and they have towers of 15 feet or more in height set up on trucks for just that purpose. They have conrols so the truck can be driven fom the top of the tower, and to be honest, with the thick brush in that area it would be very diffecult to even see a deer without the adde height. The "mobile tree stand" is just to cover more ground......not much different, to me, than walking the ridges and glassing in the more open terrain of the west. That's not an option in the brush-filled, flat South Texas ranches. Shooting from such a tower is not as easy as you might think.

I really get pissed at true "road hunters" who cruise the backroads during prime hunting times and screw up those who have spent hours in the dark on a stand waiting for first light. However, when going to or from a stand......I'd certainly not look a "gift" deer twice. Would I be particularly proud of the kill and brag about my hunting prowess???? No, but stories about "luck" are sometimes just as entertaining around a campfire.

I will admit that sometimes late in the season after most hunters have abandoned the woods, and I wake up to one of those overcast days with a slow drizzle of rain......I will call my partner and spend a day cruising the hunting club roads in the Scout with the top off and windshield folded. Texas, even in December, is mostly hot and dry so a slow rain means deer will likely be on the move and feedig.....often on the lush growth along side the road edges. It is a great way to fill the freezer and enjoy the company of a partner.

Do I consider this an effective and "proper" hunting method??? No.....but it can work very well under the right conditions. I don't typically "road hunt" for the same reason I don't typically hunt over a corn feeder.

It will be a rare buck over the age of 2 1/2 years that will go near a road or feeder (except possibly during the rut when bood rushes to his balls and cuts off the circulation to his brain). I do maintain several feeders each year to "harvest" (hate that word in general, but sometimes it's appropriate) does for the freezer (I LIKE deer meat). For "real" bucks, I hunt differently.

Hunting a feeder or slow cruising on a rainey day are very effective ways to "harvest" meat.....but not really "hunting" and I don't pretend otherwise. Does that mean I will pass up a 150 class buck that stupidly walks by my feeder or stands in the road.......I'll show you the mounts on the wall sometime!! Right beside the 140 class buck that was standing in my back yard on morning when I looked out the back door with my first cup of coffee in hand.

Am I as proud of those trophies as I am the ones I spent days (weeks, months?) patterning and sneaking through thickets???? Certainly not....but they are still hanging on the wall.

The scene proposed on the original post here is very much like those. Those are "targets of opportunity" and shows no lack of "ethics" to take the shot (as long as safe and legal). Not a prime example of your ability as a "hunter", but still a trophy.....no matter how it was taken.

Those who "claim" they'd pass up the shot (there are a lot more "claimers" on the internet than those who would "really" pass on a gift deer) should also pass on all shots during the rut. After all....isn't it sort of "unethical" to take advantage of a sex-crazed buck that you'd likely never see without that advantage??

Just my opinion.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Take what ya can get!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Those who "claim" they'd pass up the shot (there are a lot more "claimers" on the internet than those who would "really" pass on a gift deer) should also pass on all shots during the rut. After all....isn't it sort of "unethical" to take advantage of a sex-crazed buck that you'd likely never see without that advantage??

Just my opinion.

Funny you should mention that. Some people disdain feeder hunting - or at least prefer not to do it, but that depends on one of the few driving forces an animal has. Yet the drive to breed, an even greater urge, if shorter in duration, is never quibbled about. Feeding animals rarely lose their survival focus, they're just more easily located. Breeders can be just plain stupid. It can be really a laughable way to acquire a trophy, yet few regard it that way.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Besides it very well could be a decoy.

Yes indeed! If one wants some great entertainment, run down a local game officer and ask if he/she has some decoy footage. The behavior of some of the classic road hunters is beyond belief. Stupid, dangerous, and nearly always a violation.

1Minute
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There's some great youtube videos of state cops busting people for shooting from the road.

Good for a laugh.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Twice, while walking back from my hunting area on an old closed forest service road, I've walked up on a bull standing in the road and shot him. Both times, as soon as I saw the bull I thought WOW, an easy pack out. Afterwards though I felt like I'd cheated myself. The hunt had no character. So I vowed to never do that again. That's not something I look forward to every year and drive 1500 miles for.

I guess I like to see my tactics and strategies come to fruition. That's what I get a kick out of. After all, after the shot the work begins and the elk hunt is over until next year. And who knows if there'll be a next year? Before the shot is what's fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill.338
Twice, while walking back from my hunting area on an old closed forest service road, I've walked up on a bull standing in the road and shot him. Both times, as soon as I saw the bull I thought WOW, an easy pack out. Afterwards though I felt like I'd cheated myself. The hunt had no character. So I vowed to never do that again. That's not something I look forward to every year and drive 1500 miles for.

I think it can be so true what you say. It's a very personal thing. Once, after hunting hunting hard in the fall for several days, nearly scoring on a long tundra hike in the first few hours, and then coming up empty, I had given the fall season up. Winter can be easier. As I was coming back down to the boat, my "wheels", I glimpsed the antlered bull I needed barely a quarter mile from the boat. No problems there.

Another time, last couple days of the fall season, and last opportunity for me to get out; wife had just left town and- with kids at home with a sitter, I had just a few hours to try my luck. After making the 22 mile ocean run, I was a quarter mile or so off the beach when I saw a legal bull not 75 yards up the beach. I could have taken him right there, but I waited 'til I landed. What could easily have been let-downs under other circumstances and certainly for another person were very welcome in those instances.

But I can certainly see your angle.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In Oregon they call that mechanical stalking grin . During bow season I have seen guys with racks on the front of their trucks to hold their bow so they can jump out and grab them. I have seen guys setting on the front end of their cars and drive around not to mention the easy boy or couches in the back of trucks. I crack up at those guys but it does bother me when I see them with a truck load of boys all holding their bows in the ready in the back of the truck what a way to teach young kids how to hunt. That is sad. Then there are the rifle hunters who have their guns sticking out the window on with pillows to rest them on.
Last year I almost had a hunter hit my truck with a rifle barrel he was in the back seat of a SUV and did not see the that the driver had pulled over to let us pass. The other guys pulled theirs in pretty quick he must have been asleep. They did have all four windows covered with guns. Its bad in Oregon.

Originally Posted by BC30cal
Mr. oldslowdog;
In my experience it is more to the point is whether or not the paint scheme on one�s rifle matches the interior color. Pardon the correction but details can be important. grin

I was actually thinking of working on road hunter camo that was made from the same fabric and color of common hunting vehicle interiors. That way the animals would be fooled into thinking the hunting rig in question was just running on auto pilot and didn�t contain any meat eaters! laugh wink

In an only somewhat more serious vein, the part of Saskatchewan that I grew up in had some road hunters that had the whole thing down to a science, including hunting rigs that had switches that disconnected the brake lights among other modifications.

Here in BC the vernacular is �trolling the logging roads�.

I�ve hunted where we backpacked far from anything other than a horse trail, I�ve gone in on horseback, on mountain bike and I�ve been present when game died in close proximity to a 4x4 pickup.

I would also admit there were times we�ve stopped the truck, looked out the window and waved off legal bucks because we didn�t feel like cutting our one per year mule deer tag on a �truck buck� that day.

As with many things in life, as I age I find myself less dogmatic about my stance being the only right and true path, so there exists a good probability that I'm wrong in this instance as well.

Like as not it�s just as important we get �out there�, wherever our individual �out there� might be.

Here's wishing a good weekend to you all, may you get at least some time �out there�.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by ehunter; 05/01/09.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I much prefer hunting wild anmals by hiking off my "hind legs," but for many years have thought that passing up a gift from the hunting gods might offend them. Chance is bigger part of hunting than most of us like to admit.

Taking one by legally shooting from whatever distance off the road is a lot different than what we call the "F-250 sneak" here in Montana.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F250 sneak. LOL. I always thought it was "Death before Dismount". Like has been mentioned before most of the hunting accidents involve weapons around vehicles. In Oregon it's legal to be cocked and locked in a vehicle. Amazing the whole exploding pinto thing doesn't happen more.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
When I see people hunt from ATV's I see little difference with doing that and hunting from your truck. Drive around till you see something. I am not against all forms of road hunting. If we see a deer going to lunch or driving back to camp or the hotel, and you can get out and legally shoot at it, we'll do it. I don't condone trespassing or violations like shoooting from a road. You need to be 50 feet off the road here in WI and it has to be a road marked on a county map. So, if you are in a driveway, you can shoot from it, or a logging road, or a dirt forest service road. As a sole way of hunting...I think road hunting is pretty bad. Most of the people who do it are too lazy to really hunt and my guess here a large number of them are drunk.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Didn't go back to read it all again, but a few things. First to assume that folks in a vehicle are drunk is way off base IMHO.

Second, its kinda funny to me that its a debate here, though I do it at times looking for one last doe or whatever, or simply to enjoy riding around looking at other game, that its taboo here to lots of folks, but a major practice in Africa and accepted there.

I suspect its kinda like feeders or no, I was raised around feeders and come to accept them and used correctly I've no problems with them. Yet go to other places they are taboo.

The topic title still says it all, personal ethics debate. Thats how it should be. If its personal anyway. If its legal and you are happy, what more matters. I don't like to preach to folks about what to use, how to do it, how close or far to get, what minimum caliber, perfect shot etc... I have my own thoughts but those are ..... personal and shouldn't be shoved down someone else's throat. I"m sure I"m guilty of that even though I try not to be.

I don't like seeing folks drive around so for the most part I try to get to wilderness or at least country where they are not allowed. I've even done it here on public land.... walk in 3 hours in the dark and get passed by an illegal ATV.. and no cell signal or tag for the ATV driver......

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Road hunting while drunk is a good thing because a lot of those guys are too drunk to walk safely while carrying a firearm. grin

TIC

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Not all people who do that's right. I was referring to some of the always in the truck road hunters I see in northern WI. You can tell how long they've been out sometimes by the number of cans in the bed. I see handicapped people out and others who aren't drunk or drinking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
toltecgriz;
Good afternoon, hopefully you and yours are well. Regarding your comment about being too drunk to walk I have this tale for you.

I was out sheep hunting one fine hot Okanagan afternoon when I happened upon a fellow I knew to say hi to but more by reputation via his brother who I knew quite well. Both were in the logging industry and neither was a stranger to Mr. Molson�s products. wink

Anyway we were both on foot and at least a half an hour from where any vehicle could be parked. As soon as we exchanged pleasantries, I noted this chap was absolutely gassed. I was amazed that he was hiking in moderately rough country in such condition much less that he was �hunting� sheep!

It was a hot afternoon and perhaps the heat had caused a great thirst, I can�t say. whistle

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
As has been said, lots of questions to know the answer before that happens. Saddlesore pretty well answered it for me.

This sort of deal is what I consider to be a target of opportunity. If I wanted it I'd take it and not hesitate an instant.

BCR

Ditto- Never look a gift deer (or whatever) in the butt...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The only thing we did in that situation when I was a kid was announce that you have to take a leak and as you get out grab your iron and do the old HOLYSHIT and point quickly up the hill on the other side of the road so your buddies pile out looking in the wrong direction. Then it's all windage and elevation.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 338reddog, 375sunrise, 35, 35WhelenNut, 264mag, 15 invisible), 924 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.