Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30120 07/29/01
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guess I have used about all kinds of hunting knives and have my preference, just like calibers, they all work if used properly, all have their,"special",application. They are made from different materials, some hold an edge while others must be sharpened frequently. I have seen every configuration used from huge Bouie to kitchen paring knives used. Considering everything what is your best all around knife for the,"big Game,deer,elk", hunting fields? What do you carry in your pocket or belt, and why? -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hey NO,<BR> I'm a big knife fan and I'm always looking for something new. For my everyday pocketknife I usually either carry a SOG paratool or just a small schrade single blade folder. Sometimes I'll have an uncle henry papa bear in the sheath with me. In the field I have found that the little schrade "sharpfinger" is a great little knife. I love the shape of them and the take an edge pretty good. I have 2 of these and have put nice wood handles on them instead of the resin ones they came with. The other hunting style knife I seem to use the most is a norwegian HELLE knife. It is called the harding and is a really well balanced, nice handling knife,,,BEARHUNTER<BR> <A HREF="http://www.helleknives.com" TARGET=_blank>www.helleknives.com</A>

'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
For me, I have mostly used the "Whitetail Skinner" and "Big Game Skinner" that cabela's sells.....very versatile, and goes through the skinning and quatering process like a hot knife through butter...<BR>DS

'Slayer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a 4 inch Imperial Frontier lockblade for field dressing. I don't like a big knife for that. One slip and you've got a mess on your hands. [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img] <P>For skinning, an Old Timer 6 inch is used. Both are honed to a razors edge in anticipation of hunting season. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] I got good blades on a Sawzall for quartering duty. The "Old Man" is the official butcher in charge of steaks and such. He's got a box of butcher knives, that we all use. His are also kept ready for season. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] We process all our own. Mostly steaks and burger. I dry some for jerky in a dryer, but most of that is done in brine and a smokehouse. You can't beat the old fashoned stuff. Now, I'm going to eat! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hey Needone,the only knife I use any more is the gerber gator. it has a great shaped blade and the grip is rubberized so it does not slip. tom.

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got hooked on the Boker ceramics. I carry the small folder(3inch) in my pocket all the time. I have the large folder (5 inch) in my pack and I have 3 of their kitchen knifes.<BR>These knives don't get dull. They can't normally be sharpened by the user as you need a diamond wheel to do that. They come with a life time sharpen and repair policy. I have had these knives for 5 years now. I'll be sending my chef to Boker USA to be sharpened soon.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will not own another s.s.knife.I've had custom ones and have never found one that sharpens easily,yet holds an edge.I have two Moore Bro.pocket knives that I switch out.I found the Master HUnter by Cold Steel about5 years ago and it beats anything else I've ever owned for a belt knife.<BR>Moore Bros. of Matador TX make the best pocket knives,period.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to carry a Buck 110 "Hunter" for years until I got tired of carrying the weight and came to the conclusion that it really didn't hold an edge as well as I would like. Several years ago I replaced it with a much lighter, easier to keep sharp Gerber "Boltaction" folding lockblade for my everyday carry knife. In addition I keep a 2" Gerber LST in my pocket at all times for doing delicate work. I also like the 3 1/2" LST that I have only seen in red (flat top and no serated blade). My current big hunter/skinner is the skinner that comes in the "Kodipac"? I removed the gut-hook to make it a true flat top and was able to retain the nice big radius on the front of the blade for skinning. I also use the caper that came in the set for the purpose it was intended, by the way it is almost identical to the caper made by Knives of Alaska. I also have 4" custom knife that is nicely pointed, has a flat top and still has a good skinning surface with a big laminated wood grip.

Walk softly and carry a big stick. Prefferably one that shoots big bullets.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
For dressing, and skinning, big game, I use a Buck Switch Blade Folder. I use the gut hook for doing that, then switch over to their skinning blade for that job. They are nice and light. You do need a diamond stone to sharpen them. I use the Lansky system. I usually carry a small, light saw to break my kills down to transport them. So far, I haven't had to bone one out in the field. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I favor the OldTimer locking blade 90T,though I use others(grin). The serrated Victorinox,is without a doubt,the most blade for the money(less than $5). I travel nowhere,without at least one,diamond sharpening stone........<P><BR> <P>(Hopefully reformatted,so that all text is visible without scrolling to the sides)<BR> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View...p;p=44285198&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For every day bumming around, I carry a Gerber Bolt Action. Bummer that they don't make them any more. For hunting, I mostly carry an Anza. These knives are something else. I bought this knife in 1987 and I have only had to sharpen it twice. They are made from old ******* files and they really hold an edge. They will cut through bone like butter. I have cut metal, wire, trees, and just about anything else I could find just to see what these knives will do. Anza has started to expand their line of knives to cover just about every size from little skinners to almoat Bowie size. Just purchased a Fillet knife from them and have cleaned close to 300 fish this year and still have not had to touch it up. The rest of my fishing buddies have to sharpen their satinless fillet knives after every trip. The Fillet knives are made from old Bandsaw stock. All of their knives come with exotic wood handles.<BR>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've carried my Shrade folding lockblade for over 20 years and have used no others.I know there are better but this knife is like an old friend,always there when I need it and never let me down.2 years ago I field dressed 2 deer and an elk in 1 day and didn't touch it with a stone or steel.<P>Big Stick I don't think you have enough knives,better get another one [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Buck Zipper but am not very happy with it. It seems like it dulls easily and is hard to get sharp again. A taxidermist gave me a tip that I used on my last deer with terrific results: instead of a knife for skinning and cutting the hide, take along a three-pack of razor blades. I've only used them on one mule deer, but they sure were easier to use to get the hide off, and the cut goes right where you want it to. Justin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Justin H, -- Try a box knife and you will have something that won't cut your fingers and slide around. They make them now where you slide the blade out and when it get's dull just break it off and continue. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use an Anza knife also. I sent it off to blade tech to have a Kydex sheath built for it. (The sheath was more than the knife, but I don&#8217;t have to worry about losing the dang thing). I shot a hog the other day and I gutted, skinned and quartered it with the little 2.5-inch blade. It is still sharp. I bought two more to give to friends. I like them a lot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Newguy,<BR>You said that you sent your Anza to Blade Tech for a custom shuck. How did it turn out? How much did it cost you? About the only complaint I have with the Anza is the sheath. Good quality leather and all but not so good on the retention end of things. Thanks.<BR>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an old Normark skinner that I have worn out three sheaths for and a small Gerber folder made in Portland back in the sixties plus my old Eastwing scout hatchet. These have served me well most of my adult life, I carry a simple 4 blade Swiss army knife as daily wear. [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Buck Odyssey for everyday carry and use on ranch, sharpen it with and accusharp in about 10 seconds and keep skinning in deer season.<P>When I am traveling I always include at least one Swiss Army knife, usually 2. One big one that you use for almost anything, which is carried in my kit, and a pocket type model, mine is called the Spartan, I think, that has the most important tool besides a blade known to man on it, a corkscrew. You can breeze through airport checks with a Swiss Army where they will make you check something else with the same length blade, go figure.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a Ken Woosley custom made 4" drop point fixed blade for all my field dress work.<P>I also carry a Gerber Multi-Tool on my belt everywhere but church. I carry a small Uncle Henry 3 blade everywhere including church.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keeb,<P>It was about 50 bucks per knife. It turned out great. I sent two knives to them (one of the knives I gave as a gift) and they had them made and shipped back in about two to three weeks. I got mine in OD green, but I think you can get them made in about 3 or 4 different colors. It has an adjustable clip that can mount on any belt up to two inches. It is really secure, but easy to get out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 20 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.