Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hmmm....define 'hunting rifles'?
Can always stash one more somehow in a safe, so the answer is NO!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife doesn't mind at all.Thinks I need another safe,she helps me keep up with the inventory and enjoys shooting the 'little' ones.She has a Cat named Ruger?
I think she can't wait for my retirement so we can hunt more,she loves the stories about Africa and has great legs too....
I'm in Heaven here! I think too many may be impossible to reach...........rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Too many to hunt with in a given season, perhaps, but never enough to shoot, touch and enjoy throughout the off season.I do however find myself mainly looking at rifles that will increase in value, to help make a purchase legit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only rifles I feel bad about are the ones I traded or sold. The ones I gave away make me feel good. I have a bunch of hand guns that I really do not use anymore, but each of them have at least one good memory to go with, so whenever I think of selling or trading off, the tender gentler side takes over and I put them back in the safe. I have a S&W 586 that I have traded or sold four times, and somehow it has beei brought back home once more.

Right now I am thinking it is time I went small bore and am looking at 22hornet, 223 and 22-250 as options. The reading and ballistics study is reward enough for the process.
Randy
I am not a gun nut, or rifle loonie, I am a firearms afficiado...hehehe

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Is this a rhetorical question?

How a man acts when he wins reveals part of his character, how he acts when he loses reveals the rest.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, am I going to do anything about it?....NOPE.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Too Many" and "Rifles" don't even fit in the same sentence.

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've kept the number to what I consider an amount that I have time for. I like to spend as much time as I realistically can shooting and hunting but if I had a lot more rifles my time would be quite divided and I'd likely be less proficient with them.

While I own a total of nine long guns and one pistol, I've been doing all of my big game hunting with two rifles, a Ruger #1B in .270 Winchester and a Remington 700 BDL in .35 Whelen. Other stuff catches my eye but then I think "what would I do with it?" In fact my only varminter is a Ruger #1V in .22-250 and although I shot it on targets last year I never went hunting with it. That being said, nailing groundhogs with 110 grain V-Maxs from a .270 is pretty funny. I have on occassion even gone hogging with the Whelen.

For me the result of a not-so-big rifle collection is that I shoot better than I otherwise would be able to and I know the trajectory of my rifles very well. With my .35 Whelen, I expect my shots to land in a 6" group at 300 yards from unsupported prone. While I'm sure that there are guys here who can do better, I'm also sure that if I was dividing my practice I personally wouldn't be doing as well as I am.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So here is THE question: If yer gonna have too many, how many would that be, exactly?????

.....I don't know, either!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Somebody said you can never be too thin or too rich. I would like to add, or have too any rifles.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I figure that my shooting sports hobbies have kept me off the street and out of bars for nearly 25 years, so having a room full of firearms and the ancillaries that go with them isn't a bad thing at all. Besides, after the 1st 100 or so, they all start to look pretty much alike.

Jeff

I agree. No hookers, no blow, no gambling, no girlfriend, no drinking, well a beer or two once in a while.

Haven't hit the 100 mark yet but I passed the half way mark a dozen or so ago.

Maybe I should re-think the girlfriend thing on second thought.

Don't think the wife would mind at this point.............

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The answer to the question is yes, and no... grin
Yes, I have too many rifles to fit in the gun safe.
And, No, I WILL NEVER have too many. grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H

No, I have to little room to store them. So I slowed down on rifles and started adding to the pistol side of the house. Seems to work for me. The collection grows and my gun junky fix is good for a while.

Hoeram
NRA Life Member

NRA Life Benefactor
USAF RET.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sir_springer
. . . On the plus side, the wife doesn't pay attention, or at least can't seem to count very well. wink

Someone who has a wife like mine! whistle

Buying and keeping guns is a disease. Fortunately it is a hobby that can be an investment in most cases. I began buying and collecting guns (in duplicate) in the 1970s, explaining to my wife I needed two of each since we had two boys. I slowed down in the 80's and 90's but have since ramped up again. I must stop since I have totally run out of gun safe space. I have a half dozen muzzle loaders, a half dozen shotguns, a half dozen .22s and .22 mags, including two very nice Win 9422 mags with which I began my collection back in the '70s, an Anschutz Manlicher stocked .22 Hornet, a Cooper .204 varmint rifle, a beautiful and accurate walnut stocked Steyr .260, a gorgeous CZ custom 6.5x55, a customized Jap Arisaka mauser in .300 Savage, a Mauser 7x57, an beautiful Whitworth Interarms 30-06, a Rem 700 30-06, a Rem Model Seven MS .350 Rem mag, and a very nice Ruger Mod 77 .416 Rigby I hope to take to Africa one day. I also have scopes for most of those rifles. I have a few nice pistols as well, but that is another story. I must stop buying guns. Help.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
DKA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Told my wife when I bought the last one, when she ask me why I bought another rifle, when you already have 11. Said sometimes a fellow, just needs to buy another rifle.

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jason280
I am beginning to think I have too many hunting rifles, and I know it is heresy to suggest this. I have beanfield guns, brush guns, wet weather guns, guns I can loan out to new hunters, lightweight rifles, compact rifles, small caliber, large caliber, and just about everything in between.

I can remember when it was simple, when I only needed one deer rifle. In fact, it was the first rifle I ever bought, a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 that I picked up almost 13 years ago. Now, I find that I rarely hunt with it, as I am trying too hard to "match" the rifle to the conditions.

Anyone else notice this in their collections?

Not wanting a gun is better than having one.

OTOH, a hobby isn't a bad thing...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mike103
[quote=260Remguy]

I agree. No hookers, no blow, no gambling, no girlfriend, no drinking, well a beer or two once in a while.

Haven't hit the 100 mark yet but I passed the half way mark a dozen or so ago.

Maybe I should re-think the girlfriend thing on second thought.

Don't think the wife would mind at this point.............

Mike,that is pretty funny! laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB
Those who hunt a lot have fewer; whereas, those who don't have many more. Rifle cranks tend to think and talk about this stuff because there isn't much opportunity to actually use their rifles.

Pretty fair assessment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by RinB
Those who hunt a lot have fewer; whereas, those who don't have many more. Rifle cranks tend to think and talk about this stuff because there isn't much opportunity to actually use their rifles.

Pretty fair assessment.

Rifle crank....yeah, pretty much that's me!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No not me. I'm the practical sort wink . I have my R93/338WM which I reach for every time I head high, my Bruno .22LR for foxes & rabbits for when the mood strikes me & I'm having a custom 338 Federal built up off a Pre-64, which I dare say my son will use. But I must confess I want one of those new FN Model 70's in 338WM. Just thinking about another 338WM in a CRF FN Model 70 gives me a woody grin

Taking my rifle for a walk
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 257 roberts, 55 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,894
Posts18,518,374
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.