Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wall, -- unless Gerber has changed their multi tool, get ready for some blood blisters on the palm of your hand first time the pliers slip off a nut or anything. Sherry gave me a Gerber when they first came out and I had to take them back, now carry Leatherman or Coleman. That Coleman has a great thing going with the detachable tool packs in each handle, gives you something to hold backup with. Can use pliers and screwdrivers or knife at the same time. Like Stick, been collecting knives forever, hard to choose which I want to carry hunting just like rifles. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Need One: <P>I could not find a Master knife on Browning's website but they do have a Wingshooter FDT at $78.00 MSRP that did not look to bad.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wall, -- don't laugh, the Master is an all metal knife, black knurled handles, with a belt clip on the side. I wear beltless dress pants 90% of the time and the knife slides inside the pants with just the SS clip showing. It is a lock back about the size of a Buck folder. The blade tension is adjustable so it will open to your want's. The blade is SS, opens cans or deer with ease. Model #AUS-8, belt clip is marked Taiwan, but most countrys get their steel from Japan. This knife is a sleeper, great value. I have seen them sell from $25 to $35 at the gun shows. I have bought several and gave them as gifts. Just a flick of the wrist and they are open, press release and it closes with weight of blade, comes with an Allen wrench to adjust tension. Also has hole through heel of handle for a lanyard if you desire. I usually tie on a nylon or leather lanyard in the form of a hangmans knot about 8-10" long, to use tieing deer legs together for transport or hanging in tree,(Texas deer are small). Great while fishing, nothing to rust or deterioate if it gets wet or bloody and one hand operation. It has become constant companion Church, business, or in the field, the clip is hid behind arm most of time and no one notices. Blade is thin enough but strong enough to slip through a pelvis with ease on deer when you hit the sweet spot. Have carried it into Dallas FtWorth International Airport many times without a hitch, just drop it in the basket with keys, organizer, and other junk no problem with security. -- no

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Need One:<P>Who makes or made this Master knife?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wall, I bought an extra a couple of shows ago just in case I lost this one, will get the box out of the safe when it cools off this evening and post the information tonight. -- no

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wall, -- all the box had on it was Master the model is HC 889, the blade was AUS-8 which designates plain blade, same knife comes with half serrated blade if you like. Don't have any idea who imports them. -- no

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
n.o., I own a bunch of knife's and have used a bunch through the year's and have yet to find one as good as the one I've used the past 4 year's. It's a Cutco with a serrated blade. I used my cousin's 5 year's ago to gut a whitetail that I had shot because he had been bragging about it and I could not belive how sharp it was. He had used it on 3 elk and numerous whitetail and it had never been sharpend. I used my on mule deer and whitetail's and haven't had it touched. I never thought that I would ever use a knife with a serrated blade but now I wouldn't use anything else. I use regular butcher syle knife's for processing my deer but only the Cutco for the field work.<BR>poleman

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Poleman, -- can't get along with a serrated blade, they must be good, just me I guess.<P>Wall, -- I just noticed Cold Steel's new knives are using the same steel in their blades as the Master. Told you it was a sleeper. -- no

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i've been carrying and using the same Buck 110 for the past 23 years, in my humble opinion, its the best knife out there...gut

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my favoret knife is my fixed blade Buck, i wish i got is with the gut hook, it dose dull ,but most knives do that. i think it is just the right size for most things and its well made.

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned a Case XX. I have a couple of Case folder and a couple of fixed blades and haven't found a knife yet that will beat them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WV Shooter, -- I carried a Case XX sheath knife from 1947 to 1959. Great little knives long thin blade went through meat great, had to use a rock to drive the blade through the pelvis and marked up the back of blade pretty good after several. It was long enough to reach the bottom of the Mayonnaise jar to make sandwitches. This is important point when you are hungry and you make more sandwitches than open pelvises. I changed over to a high dollar knife,(not better just looked more impressive),I thought, at that time. Later I gave one to my hunting partner and he liked it until he fell out of a tree in Texas,(broke his wrist), the knife fell out of the sheath and could have killed him. I went down and bought him a Browning folder while he was in the hospital. Deer hunting I carry a folder, elk hunting I carry both folder and sheath. The Case XX was great in it's time but there are better steels out there now. I still have both Case XX knives in my collection. -- no

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Had to go way down in the sack to drag this topic out. I notice we all use many different knives in our hunting and most are carried in the sporting goods stores. Anything marked SPORTING means higher cost. Many years of experience has taught me to seek other options for better quality and better value. Like most of us, I have a ton of knives collected over the years and many like old friends, and some custom,(expensive). Some do it all, some sepecialized. To butcher meat knife, go to a meat cutters supply, kitchen store, cutlery supply, and you can get a good knife for a fraction of the cost. The money you save can be used to purchase two or three knives made for the purpose.<BR>I have found the most usefull knife in actual hunting, camping, is a folder large enough to reach way down in the Mayonnaise jar to make sandwitches, peel apples and such, cut up my steak or rope, open a can once in a while, and just general work that happens EVERY time I go hunting or camping. To buy a knife to work on an animal is a specalized knife for that purpose, not to be used on cans, cardboard, rope, and never for prying anything. The thinner the blade the easier it will work, and a joy to use. Hinkle, Forshner, have top of the line meat knives.<BR>There are so many "GOOD" knives out now and a few "GREAT" knives, all have good steel, even some of the cheapies, it comes down to personal preference in size and shape.<BR>Every time I look in the Cabelas Master Catalog, I drool over some of the knives I wish I had but don't need. This knife, gun, thing is a desease that causes many serious side effects with wives, pockets, accounts. <BR>Observations JMHO! -- no

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I also love knives but do not collect them. To me, These are tools.<BR>I always wear a folder, the Spyderco serrated endura or the incredible Military, or a swiss type knife, either from victorinox, or better, from Wenger (large one, a bit heavy but very handy).<BR>I like to have a fixed blade also, to use as a camp knife. This one must be tough, light and low cost. A short machete is fine for me.<BR>olivier

Age quod agis
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
350RM, -- Hey Guy, please drop me an e-mail, I will trade information with you. <BR>sonniepeoplescom.net Thanks -- no

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 59 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,910
Posts18,518,654
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.