Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some of you may have noticed flags being flown at half-staff today. This is in honor of Peace Officers who have died in the line of duty. Today is Peace Officers Memorial Day and this week is Police Week.

From Wikipedia:
Peace Officers Memorial Day and Police Week is an observance in the United States that pays tribute to the local, state, and peace officers. The Memorial takes place on May 15, and Police Week is the calendar week in which the Memorial falls.

The holiday was created on 1 October 1961 when Congress asked the president to designate 15 May to honor peace officers. John F. Kennedy signed the bill into law on October 1, 1962. According to a proclamation by George W. Bush in 2002, "Peace Officers Memorial Day and Police Week pay tribute to the local, State, and Federal law enforcement officers who serve and protect us with courage and dedication. These observances also remind us of the ongoing need to be vigilant against all forms of crime, especially to acts of extreme violence and terrorism." Much of the holiday centers around the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial wall in Washington, D.C., whose walls feature the names of the more than 17,000 law enforcement officers who have been killed in the line of duty.

Link to Presidential Proclamation

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JUST A COP
The funeral line was long,
There's an awful lot of cars,
Folks came out of the restaraunts,
They came out of the bars.
The workers at the construction sites
All let their hammers drop.
Someone asked,"what is this all for?"
And they said,"Aw, just a cop."
Some chuckled at the passing cars.
Some shed a silent tear
Some people said,"It's stupid.
All these policemen are here."
"How come they are not out fighting crime?"
"Or in the doughnut shop?"
"Sure is a lot of trouble,
For someone who's just a cop."
They blocked the intersections,
They blocked the interstate.
People yelled and cursed,
"Damn, it's gonna make me late!"
"This is really ridiculous!"
"They're makin' us all stop!"
"It seems they are sure wastin' time,
On someone who's just a cop."
Into the cemetery now,
The slow procession comes,
The woeful Taps are slowly played.
There's loud saluted from guns.
The graveyard workers shake their heads
"This service is a flop."
"There's lots of good words wasted,
On someone who's just a cop."
Yeah, just a cop to most folks.
Did his duty every day.
Trying to protect us,
Till they took his life away.
And when he got to heaven,
St. Peter put him at the top.
An Angel asked him,
"Who was that?"
And he said,"Aw, just a cop."

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Be careful out there, boys.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't know that, thanks to all the LEO's out there. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a small ceremony complete with Honor Guard. It's always a somber moment.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for posting that.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the poem . Just sent it to my Nephew .

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I went to Washington DC a few years ago. During this time. The Peace Officer Memorial is a site to see. With all the Departments Honor Guard. Bagpipes playing.

When you read a name of someone you know engraved onto that cement wall, it will bring a tear.

Have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've done the NH Memorial, and keep promising myself a trip to DC again.

Stangely enough, I don't think I want to go during THE Memorial. It's something that I want to do with just the boy and I.

Remembering the fallen isn't something reserved for a special day.

George

Last edited by NH K9; 05/15/09.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Remembering the fallen isn't something reserved for a special day."

True.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Excuse me. but I think I will pass on peace Officer's week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MdAQWhc8tg

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
What, exactly, does this have to do with the PO's Memorial?

Nothing you can post takes away from the sacrifice of those that have died in the line of duty.

Please, do us all a favor and continue to pass. We don't want you around anyway.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feel free.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by zeN

Still looking at some back up time while out on parole, ain't ya'?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zeN

That's an asinine thing to post on this thread.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
You are not we, you represent ONE opinion-yours, and yours alone.
Since you asked, I will tell you what it has to do with the PO Memorial.
The video shows the police chasing a suspect, the suspect goes prone, puts his hands behind his head and surrenders, several police who have guns trained on the subject close in,
a policeman runs up to the suspect and KICKS HIM FULL FORCE IN THE HEAD, he appears to be OUT, 3 policeman pounce on him, cuff him while one THRUSTS his baton into his torso REPEATEDLY. After this, the policemen HIGH 5 EACH OTHER. All of this recorded from a helicopter (a good example of the need to videotape all law enforcement/governement activity in order to bring their activity to the light of day-we have the technology, we should employ it as a check against abuses, we should not be eavesdropping on the citizenry).

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
Since you asked-a policeman is a SERVANT of the public. Does this look like service to you? A policeman does not have the right to abuse people in his job. If you want to be an outlaw, be an outlaw, but don't put a badge on and beat the crap out of people uneccessarily under the color of authority. The video shows an attitude that I believe is rampant among police at many levels.
A great many 2nd amendmendt supporters here and in other forums/venues believe we are witnessing the rise of a Police State, where presently the government, and therefore the police, who are the armed branch of the government are PRESENTLY violating citizens in numerous ways, including our 2nd amendmendt rights, we have been violated by illegal searches in our cars for several decades during traffic stops, which the Supreme Court recently declared Unconstitutional (again), every sane citizen has known this, it doesn't take a law degree to figure that out.
Get into a domestic dispute (alleged)? The police take your guns, Refuse to register your guns (Unconstitutional)? The police take your guns, etc., etc., etc.
And what is the excuse police most often reply, "I was just following orders."
Well sorry, but "I was just following orders" doesn't cut it, you violate someone's Constitutional rights and you are acting on your own, you bear full responsibility. You break into the wrong persons house and point a gun at a citizen he has a right to shoot you in defense of his life, too many cases like this have happened and the police walk away-BS-citizens demand an end to this.
There are several threads on 24 right now re: H. S. Precision with Lon Horiuchi, FBI sniper who killed Vickie Weaver, representing the co., no doubt to their law enforcement clientele, now you tell me-why would Lon Horiuchi be a selling point to law enforcement (if you read the threads here he sure isn't to most 2nd amendment supporters)? Might that be because many share the same general apathetic cold-blooded mindset as Lon Horiuchi toward the people they are honor-bound to SERVE? (He was PROMOTED for his actions)
When I see law enforcement standing up for the Constitution and REFUSING to take part in lawlessness like this THEN I will celebrate their service, I will NOT celebrate their totalitarian COMPLICITY.

Last edited by zeN; 05/16/09.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
What does what happened to that gang-banger, who raced through city streets at 85 MPH, eluding police officers and while throwing contraband out his window and then, after crashing his car into another citizen's car before bailing, have anything to do with a fallen officer's memorial?

The gang-banger will get his due as will the LEO. But to point out this instance, as the premise for your posts above, borders on the absurd and pathetically lame.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I called a few of my co-workers and I stand by my "we" statement.

As far as the rest of your post goes, you quickly pointed out that my opinion is only that. Yet, at the same time, you choose to lump all LEOs together. You can't have it both ways.

I've said it before and, apparently, I need to reiterate my standpiont: nobody hates rogue cops worse than I do (normally I would use "good cops" in place of the "I" but I don't want to offend your delicate sensibilities again).

I'm pro-gun and pro-Constitution. I don't engage in "outlaw" behavior and hide behind a badge nor would I tolerate it from those who work with/under me.

Again, all this has NOTHING to do with the Memorial. Save your venom for other LEO-bashing threads. There are plenty of 'em.

George

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well stated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks George

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 11,809 guests, and 1,575 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,032
Posts18,540,624
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.