Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30367 08/10/01
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Picked this up over at the Triple F Ranch forum and since there are so many Texans (and those that wish they were [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] ) here I thought I would ask. Mine is a 1952 Colt Commander .38 Super with Ivory stocks and Colt's Bright blue in a Lawrence Hi-ride holster on a matching Lawrence belt and magazine pouch. Not fancy by Texas standards, but then I like plain and simple. Besides I live in Florida! [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

#30368 08/10/01
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TLee,<BR>What you posted made no sense to me. Your note said you picked something up somewhere but nothing was added to show us anything. You must have an incomplete message or else I am missing something on my end.

Rolly
#30369 08/10/01
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rolly:<BR><STRONG>TLee,<BR>What you posted made no sense to me. Your note said you picked something up somewhere but nothing was added to show us anything. You must have an incomplete message or else I am missing something on my end.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now I am confused, what are you talking about?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

#30370 08/11/01
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Glad to hear you picked something up in Texas. Yawn.

4pwr
#30371 08/10/01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What you guys smoking?

IC B2

#30372 08/10/01
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T Lee, -- this Texan missed the point also, but what you want for it? My oil well might burp up another gallon. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
#30373 08/10/01
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OK Guys, I was hoping some of the Texans would chime in. <P>Here goes, what y'all need to understand is in Texas, a Barbeque is a formal affair. Western Black Tie if you would. This AIN'T poppin a burger on the grill. Many an oil deal or political arrangement has been done at a Texas Barbeque. Thus for the elite of Texas Law Enforcement, The Texas Rangers, and many of us in the south, to arrive at such an event with a normal carry pistol was like going to the opera without a Tuxedo. It just isn't DONE! <BR> <BR>The concept came from Law enforcement guys showing off their "dress guns" Most notably the Texas Rangers but also again, some of us in other parts of the south. So, I have seen some really tricked out Smith .44s, Gold inlay, engraving.... And I have seen some really sweet 1911s with all kinds of decorationsas well as Colt revolvers of all flavors.<P>While visiting the Texas Rangers Museum in Waco, I saw a large number of such pistol finery. Every thing imaginable is on display there. So a Barbeque gun is indeed something from our collection which we consider special enough for such an occasion. <BR> Understand now?

Old cat turd!

#30374 08/10/01
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two questions. One is , "Where's the picture?" and two is "Why on earth would anyone want to be called a Texan?" Most of them are just Oklahomans with their brains blown out or Mexicans who got lost or ran out of gas on the way to Oklahoma.

#30375 08/10/01
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by need one:<BR><STRONG>T Lee, -- this Texan missed the point also, but what you want for it? My oil well might burp up another gallon. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] -- no</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>need one, If you are refering to my Commander, it is NOT FOR SALE at any price. It was given to me by my Dad many years ago and someday will belong to my Son.

Old cat turd!

#30376 08/10/01
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real reason for the BBQ guns is an archaic Texas law that makes it an offense when at a formal affair to shoot anyone with a borrowed gun.Since there has never been a BBQ which was not attended by at least one person who needed shooting,an openly displayed revolver or pistol demonstrated that you were a responsible party goer.<P>Since these affairs are often attended by the affluent,and one of them might be the shootee,a nicer than usual sidearm became customary.The exception was a hundred mile radius around Austin.Politicians could be shot with any old gun without it being considered a serious breach of ettiqute.Cutting a politician with a borrowed knife was ok also.<P>I hope this clears the matter up for you non-Texans.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

#30377 08/10/01
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, my only "non-working" gun (meaning, not used for hunting) is a Para Ordnance P14 (1911). But it's too plain jane to be a BBQ gun. [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Maybe some nice ivory (Suluuq?) grip inserts would help? [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Thanks for enlightening us on some of Texas's finer traditions! I might be persuaded to return, but not during the summmer!

Brian

#30378 08/12/01
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think the concept of a "BBQ" gun is very interesting. I know in some scandinavian cultures they wear presentation style knives for certain occasions. Of course when these traditions were started guns weren't around yet.,,,,BH

#30379 08/12/01
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope they don't hold a B-B-Q in South Dallas or someone will steal them and the police never find anything. The only person I ever caught in my closed locked building at Fair Park was a policeman. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
#30380 08/13/01
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now that I know what a BBQ gun is,I apologize for my crass post about it.

4pwr
#30381 08/14/01
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me! Why anyone would want to waste a lot of good money just to impress the "Texicans" at a BBQ is beyond me. Heck, it would probably be easier to just let the "more deserving" among the guests to drink themselves into a stupor and lead them over to the corral to be kicked silly by a horse, or better yet, into the pig feeding area for a little "recreation". Don't you Texicans have any imagination? [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<BR> Now, if you want to talk about a serious pistol-carrying affair we'll show you the weapons we carry on our boats for the fish we sometimes have to dispatch before putting them on the boat. Heck, from Stick's picture of the bait fish in another thread, I bet he went through a whole load of +P loads to put those critters on the boat. Comes right down to it, we really don't care how sissified the gun looks as long as you know how to hit something with it, or am I missing something here? [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]-Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
#30382 08/14/01
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
For the non-Texans how about a list of the offenses that culd get you shot.<P>My vote for #1 is - Try and tell the host how to make BBQ.

#30383 08/14/01
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheister,<P>You mean the Bass crowd (with their fancy "glitter paint" [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]) don't carry guns on their boats too?<P> [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>The other day, when I was taking my boat to the shop, I cleaned out some of the stuff inside. When I came across the S&W .22lr pistol, I had to laugh, because I had forgotten it was there! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] Guess I need to catch more 'but...

Brian

#30384 08/14/01
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dubya, I guess any excuse to shoot something is better than no shooting at all! Even if it is just a little Bass or Texican! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]LOL- <P>BTW- those purty Bass boats are just about as useless as a purty gun- I'd sure like to see one perform at the mouth of the Columbia river sometime- that would be worth the price of admission! I'll take my plain ole' stainless 45 and my Sea Ray anytime up here and probably sort out any BBQ or fishing problem I come up against. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]-LOL- ducking for cover, Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
#30385 08/14/01
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Daddy always said;"Son,dont ever ask a man where he's from.If he's from Texas,he'll tell you.If he aint,dont embarrass him."

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
#30386 08/15/01
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T Lee:<P>Sorry, I was on vacation, I understood your post immediately. Although I may switch to a Kolton Roberts engraved Smith 686 with the Texas State Seal on one side and the Star of Texas on the other, my current BBQ gun is a Clark Combat .45 with Karen Reno scrimshawed ivory grips of a semi-dressed girl on the right side and her nude on the left. I recommend Reno's scrimshaw for those who are interested.<P>Sheister:<P>It is obvious that you carpenters up there in Oregon don't have a clue as to the traditions or values of Texans or how to throw a party for that matter. Just so you will know,a TEXAS BBQ is a serious social occasion with a few hi-jinks and a lot of fun thrown in to the mix, we save our drunken rages for visiting foreigners without visas (or mastercards), primarily those from the Northwest who are shot through with some nonsensical feelings of superiority since they use pistols to shoot fish. What sport, and how interesting! Do tell us more, yawn.<P>A BBQ gun is exactly that, an often decorated or enhanced in appearance firearm that serves the same purpose as silver trimmings on saddles and tack, that is, none, except to show the owner has pride in his tools. Some do, some don't. Some get it, some don't.<P>You could probably call a Texas Ranger a Wuss for wearing his BBQ gun and he wouldn't do anything but smile at your stupidity, but tell him you were going to take out your .45 and show him how a gun is supposed to be you used and you wouldn't get past the sentence.<P>Finally, bass boats are a very highly refined design that are just about perfect for their intended use, which is not to run the Columbia River mouth. If we needed to do that down here in Texas, we would have found a better answer than a mere Sea Ray.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (6MMWASP, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 11 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,941
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.