Print Thread
Hop To
J
janos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I just had to replace my old gas cans with the yellow plastic nozzle with a simple plastic tab at the end. They had a similar tab on the back of the can to allow air air to enter the can as you pour so you don't get large splashes.

Well the new "beauty" that I just bought is all sealed except for the black nozzle. The nozzle itself has this retarded design marketed "to not spill as you pour." Basically you turn the can upside down, stick the nozzle into the tank you want to fill, and push down on the can so it opens the spring loaded valve in the nozzle itself.

I can say with certainty, that I have never spilled so much gas in my life as I have in the last week using this piece of crap. When you initially push down the gas splashes all over. When the tank fills you can't see it because the nozzle is in the way and you get gas spilling all over. trying to hold open the valve and just pour the gas usually yields about a 1/4 ending up all over the outside of the tank and my hands.

The kicker was a guy ran out of gas outside my house. I drove him to the gas station and he bought one of these gas cans, filled it up and tried pouring it into his car. The nozzle wouldn't fit into his car and he maybe got 2.5 gallons out of the 5 to pour into his car tank.

If anyone out there still has access to the old style gas cans with the simple pour spout with an air valve on the back (probably only "red staters" I'd imagine), please PM me and I will send you cash to get my hands on a gas can that won't kill mine and my customers' grass.

There is room for all of God's creatures...right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they take FOR EVER to get the gas in the truck aswell......takes me longer to put 5 gallons in with those damn jugs than for me to fill the whole truck up at the pump when its running on fumes...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is just the government taking care of you. smirk

I am using gas cans these days for a couple of generators in camp and I am sick of the new cans too.

stumpy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
wal-mart in arizona has "kerosene" cans right next to the gas cans same can different color. blue i think. nozzle works a little better and can be improved with a piece of hose and hose clamp. i gave up and just use my sons motorcycle gas cans. much eaiser to use and still have a vent so it does'nt take all day

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As coincidence would have it, janos, my old ribbed yellow spout broke on me this Spring, and I also was disturbed (spelled "pizzed") that only kind now available are those horrid things you describe or some $5 piece of chit with a valve advertised as "green."

They can stick their green spout up their brown hole for all I care. I'll pour it straight from the can with a funnel before I let them dictate how I can fill my own lawn mower!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

They can stick their green spout up their brown hole for all I care. I'll pour it straight from the can with a funnel before I let them dictate how I can fill my own lawn mower!

Now that is some good reading. grin grin grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep, some little s.o.b. worked overtime in China designing that p.o.s. I haven't found one type yet that works right more than once...if that.
My favorite is the one with the rotate-the-nozzle-one-quarter-turn-after-you-get-the-can-inverted, to allow the gasoline to flow. I don't know how something so simple can leak in so many places.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I got tired of the slow flow in some self-vented tanks and put a big screw in the top rear of the handle. I can remove it easily to vent the tank when filling. The new ones seem all to be so tall and skinny that they turn over easily in the back of the truck unless you tie them down. I like short and squatty when it comes to portable fuel tanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With just a little work a fella can take the central plug out of some of these spring loaded gas can safety nozzles. In about 2 minutes I had all the push-to-pour parts removed and ready for disposal.

My kerosene (blue) cans didn't come with the safety nozzles.

I also got a fair length of clear tygon tubing and made extenders for all the spare fuel tanks. Now I can set the extended fuel spout in the tank fill pipe then tip the fuel can up and pour.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by JacquesLaRami; 05/18/09.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those new cans have been out seems to be about three years ago I had to buy 6 of those suckers. Learned real quick to unscrew the lid and pour without any of the junk , put a transmission funnel in the gas filler area,fill up whatever. This was talked about above, the funnel works.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.