Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Has anyone used the black cloud steel? What's the verdict? Our local walmart has the 3.5" mags on clearance for $19/box. Still not cheap but it puts it about where normal 3.5" steel is.

A friend who works for ATK said that they are so busy producing .22, pistol ammo, and rifle ammo that they might be a little short on steel shot stuff if there's a mad rush for it during the season. So, I'm thinking about picking up some early while it's on sale. There's only about 4 months til I can use it.

Bb

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy all of it you can at that price. Locally BC is about 25 to 29 a box.

As to effectiveness, I still have about 3 cases of Kent and Federal to go through before I will need some steel so I haven't used it but my friends have - it does seem to put the ducks down solid when you hit them.
Local DU regional rep has moved to all black cloud and other "designer" steel. If you buy the inexpensive (sic) steel and have to spend shells putting down cripples - it's a false economy over buying something that absolutely kills well and he is a fan of Black Cloud.

Warning - do not shoot Black Cloud through a patternmaster type of choke unless it's the one specifically made for BC by patternmaster. Heard some bad deals on using the normal patternmaster style.

Me

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

The Black Cloud is really good stuff - especially 2/BB size for geese. I usually get a couple of boxes each year in the larger pellet sizes for geese.

As far as ducks go, my favorite factory steel load is Winchester Supreme 3-1/2" #3 shot. Hevi-shot is my all-time best all-around favorite (it crushes everything).

HTB

HRCH Superchamp's Pocket Change "PESO"
�Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.�-GENESIS 1:28
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by teal
Warning - do not shoot Black Cloud through a patternmaster type of choke unless it's the one specifically made for BC by patternmaster. Heard some bad deals on using the normal patternmaster style.

Any issues using a tight choke with this stuff? Both my shotguns have fixed chokes. the 20 is modified and the 12 is full. Shoot steel through both without any issues, But ussually just the Kent stuff or what ever is on sale grin This stuff goona be an issue through those chokes?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't say - the patternmaster have these little ridges in them to slow the wad down so the shot comes out unmolested and improves the pattern (allegedly).

Me

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gotcha, might have to give them a try, I need all the help I can get grin grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't had issue with hitting the ducks we hunt (teal and blue bills) it's killing them. Was shooting Winchester Xpress. Didn't care for it. Switched to Kent - seems to be better - getting more pellets on the birds. Shot the heck outta the snows this spring anyway.

I'll probably pick up some BC even though I won't need steel for a while.

Running a Win Super X2 with Patternmaster.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus we don't have a dog - I need to put them down NOW.

Me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No dog either. Gotta canoe for a chase boat though grin

I started with the Federal generic stuff but seemed to get more hits with the Kent 2 3/4". Got enough for a while.

Just started using the 20ga and only got to use it on one lil trip so I still gotta get ammo for it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I ended up with 5 extra cases of 3.5" BBB's & 4's. Just picked em up for another guy and he changed his mind after I got them. Cost me a $1000 I'd rather not have spent today. So, if anyone needs a case or two I'll sell em at my cost + shipping. They cost me just over $20 a box after sales tax.

If I don't sell a few I'll be stocked up for years because I also picked up several other cases for myself.

Bb

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A bunch of guys around here have tried them...(I have not)

They've run threads on our local forum discussing them.

It seems the general consensus feels they're good at close to mid-range and NOT so good at the longer ranges. (Hey what's not?) Perhaps not even as good further out as "regular" loads.

Again it seems like the general consensus likes them and would buy them/use them more IF they weren't so expensive.

Most are sticking with their Kent Fasteel 3" #2s or #3s or similar Winchester or Remington loadings.

Last edited by BillC_sbio; 05/19/09.

Bill C.-sbio
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DO NOT SHOOT BLACK CLOUD THROUGH A PATTERNMASTER OR ANY OTHER WAD STRIPPING TYPE CHOKE.
You will risk a barrel blow up or a choke tube blow out.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot just one round of trap (25 birds) last night by testing 3 loads of steel shot and 2 loads of lead � 5 shells of each. I was using my Tri-star 12 gauge semi. (�Ducks Unlimited� model).

For future reference:

Federal 2 � shells with steel shot broke 3 of 5 birds.

Federal �Black Cloud� steel shot in 3 inch shells broke 4 of 5 birds.

Remington 3 inch shells only hit 2 of 5 birds and two of five shells failed to eject (they were long enough to hang up when expanded).

#2 sized lead shot over 24 grains of Herco hit 3 of 5 birds (larger shot = more space between pellets).

And plain Jane # 8 lead shot over 24 grains of Herco busted 5 of 5.

End result was hit 17 of 25 (I blame the Remingtons!)

Lead worked better on clay birds, but I have to use the steel shot to be legal on waterfowl.

And Federal Black Cloud seems to be the best choice found so far. It better be, the silly stuff is about a buck a shell.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buddy been shooting Black Cloud this year - absolutely folding up the geese HARD. We've all noticed that in the very non-scientific way of shooting geese next to us - his dead geese just fold up and fall. I am impressed...

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How does Federal justify forming pellets with the ridge moulded all around the circumference, and then try to pass them off as somehow superior in function? Round pellets fly true, deformed ones do not, how could it be otherwise? Those pellets seem like a gimmick to me! No more likely to kill cleanly than a round pellet, likley to pattern poorer, and much more likely to scratch the bore if one sneaks past the wad shotcup. Am I wrong?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been running Black Cloud for two years now. I'm impressed with the stuff. Plain out folds geese.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been killing greese with steel for 20 years now and it comes down to one thing, How well you shoot, if you've machted the shot to the gun and choke you will fold greese. My SBE likes BB and gives me the pattern I want. Duck or greese I shoot BB.
Other than winchester seem to leave a lot of residue from thier powder I just buy whats cheapest by the case.

I'm leaving for Sask. the 2nd of October and I'm taking a case of 2 3/4 BB to show my son there no need for 3" shells. I'll try to remmeber to give ya a report when I get back.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I shoot straight BB as well. But when a guy's shooting doesn't change (I am a decent shotgun shot) and he does make a switch - it just kills them. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe ya, Did you by chance drop down from 3 1/3" to 3" when you made the switch. I can tell ya my shooting improved when I gave up the 3 1/2" shells. I mite grab a box of Black Cloud for the trip up north. I shoot a improved cylinder so it should not be a problem.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope - 3 inch all the time.

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.