Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
#3046982 05/20/09
Z
zeNII Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
After studying a number of threads I have decided to start a thread re: the relationship between police and citizens, what's wrong, what needs to be changed, what you can do about it.
The first major change I think needs to happen is to turn the tables of electronic monitoring away from citizens, and turn that spotlight on law enforcement. I would also include that on all political activity. We have the technology (it's being used on you Joe citizen) to record, tape, videotape, digital storage etc. of encounters between law enforcement and citizens, and we should insist that we change our approach to the vexing problems of police accountability.
Here is one site that is dedicated to this very concept, an excerpt:

"We the authors and maintainers of this site are a people who pride ourselves on having our eyes open wide, the truth at all costs, forcing society to have no nonsense accountability of all its representatives. And there is no more need for this but for in the realm of law-enforcement, where much of the rules for the rest of us, easily fall away with the convenient excuse of "emergency response needs" (rightly or wrongly).
The argument here is not that police don't at times need to do some unsavory, and unorthodox things in their job to deal with emergencies, and to enforce law, but the fact that there is no (by law) objective means in place in this nation, much less in the state of California, to monitor the validity and appropriateness of these practices.
We here do not think we are asking for too much...quite the contrary. In our day and age of immense technological advance, to have simple recording devices capturing suspect/police interaction; to have in place computer tracking of all police performance/discipline records; and to have the "non-personal," " business related" portions of police officer files made a matter of Public Record are all simple, reliable, cost-effective means to secure our most fundamental values as sacred beings (human and civil rights).
Yet these few basic measures have been/are/and will be harder to bring about into reality (in this "freest country on the planet") than it was to bring down the Berlin Wall, due to very politically powerful police officer and prison guard unions across this nation. We ask you and them this simple question, why? Why the knee jerk rebuke of unimpeachable, unassailable evidence gathering means? Why the knee jerk need for secret police disciplinary files in a free state?"
http://policewatch.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=26

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why did you re-register as zeNII today.....did Zen the First get kicked off? Like you did before under you older handle?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I think whack-jobs like yourself need to be monitored more than the very,very low number of cops who cause the profesion to come under a glaring spotlght. Just like any profession.

Get a job,boy! Your nonsense got old quick!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
how about a thread just about zeN...or whatever he calls himself this week?

call it Idiot Watch.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't begin to believe you are for real. No Way!!!!!

Terry...You are so RIGHT.

Right on Bob.

Steve.....I believe you already know the answer. smile

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We here do not think we are asking for too much

Who is "we here"?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay, you first. Show us the video/photos of your encounters.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zeNII
The first major change I think needs to happen is to turn the tables of electronic monitoring away from citizens, and turn that spotlight on law enforcement. . . . We have the technology (it's being used on you Joe citizen) to record, tape, videotape, digital storage etc. of encounters between law enforcement and citizens, and we should insist that we change our approach to the vexing problems of police accountability.

Dude, where are you living? Have you been around many police interactions lately? Everyone with a cell phone has a still and a video camera. Police action gets recorded every day. It just doesn't make the news because so much of it is uneventful and/or totally justified.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Watch away. Hell, follow me around and record everything I do. I operate under the assumption that SOMEBODY is recording me that way, if they are, I don't have to worry about it. I "sir and ma'am" people to death, even when I'm rollin' with them.

You are one funny guy. You might want to ask the Free-Staters in Keene how this is working out for them.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My footage would be even more boring. Four hours with the State this morning discussing allocation of resources for the evacuation of special-needs citizens and now constructing resolutions for City Council. Woohoo

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Ask me again why I'll never give up my stripes smile .

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It just doesn't make the news because so much of it is uneventful and/or totally justified.
==========================
Except for militant smart-assed punks like himself and his sheep brained fringers who foolishly search for oppurtunities to push the limits and, unfortunately, their luck.

This zen dbag, because of his HS here, couldn't garner any sympathy if he was tased while innocently helping a elderly woman across the street. He comes here thinking folks are OK with police over-stepping their bounds and he can't figure out why he isn't getting anywhere trying to convince us we're not getting it.

He must be a pledge with one of those anti-police fringe groups!

Last edited by isaac; 05/20/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
He must be a pledge with one of those anti-police fringe groups!

That's code for "taking the bar to be a defense attorney", right?

George

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You REALLY are an optimist Bob.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you had video of my entire career you would be BORED to TEARS for 25 of my 26 years, that is an optimistic guesstimate of the physical encounters I had, as most last less than 10 minutes max.

Police work consists of hours of boredom interrupted by a few minutes of adrenalin once in awhile.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by zeNII
The first major change I think needs to happen is to turn the tables of electronic monitoring away from citizens, and turn that spotlight on law enforcement. . . . We have the technology (it's being used on you Joe citizen) to record, tape, videotape, digital storage etc. of encounters between law enforcement and citizens, and we should insist that we change our approach to the vexing problems of police accountability.

Dude, where are you living? Have you been around many police interactions lately? Everyone with a cell phone has a still and a video camera. Police action gets recorded every day. It just doesn't make the news because so much of it is uneventful and/or totally justified.

=====================================

Those in car videos and other video reporter wannabes, while making a very small select few rich,have mostly forced defense lawyers and their clients into plea deals. Can't tell you how many times I've heard a defendant version of what happened before an arraignment only to have that version significantly modified by the prelim because of a video.

With the exception of a few instances,videos have hurt defendant's and their counsel more than they've helped.

William Arthur Ward

Z
zeNII Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Well, it's obvious the POLICE COMMUNITY and their little minions don't like the idea of the police being monitored by the citizenry, that's a big suprise, isn't it? LOL Oh well, it may take some time for the LE community to realize that you work for us, and monitoring your activities is really a done deal, even if the Police State really happens, but you have to ask yourself, is it really appropriate for police officers to make replies on a citizens forum re: this topic, and attempt to censure public opinion? After all, on this subject, LE is the SUSPECT

Last edited by zeNII; 05/20/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who said it wasn't okay?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ZeNII,
How can you expect to have a rational discussion on this forum since your anti-law enforcement bias is so blatant?

In case you didn't know, the LEO's on here are among the best folks on this website and that also includes others such as Isaac and Steve NO-all good folks, if you will show them some respect.

I would suggest that you sit back, take a deep breath-if you do so, you may find that you actually like it here.

I will go back and sit in my corner now.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,808
Posts18,496,405
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.