Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The DNR officer where we hunt said a camera set up on a coyote den saw 24 fawns draged into the hole over a weeks time. I did not see this so cannot vouch for the reliability of it. On our new lease the yotes are all over. Last December one almost climbed into my lap and my bud saw 5 of them I guess running deer. Today I saw 3 of them in broad daylight at 3:00PM running along the side of the road. A black one and two normals.

What Fox Pro call will work?
How many can we kill if we start calling and shooting them?
Will they come to a call this time of year?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Seems you've got some 'yote hunting to do!

I don't know about the Fox Pro calls, but yeah, yotes can be called year-round.

It's amazing the impact they can have on a deer herd. I appointed myself "protector of the herd" some years ago and have been steadily whacking our Washington coyotes - yes, they prey on mule deer. Particularly the fawns, but I've seen them after adult deer when the deer are having trouble getting through the snow.

Not sure I understand your "how many can we kill" question. Usually I get one shot. If I hit, it's a dead coyote. If I miss, the coyote runs at about Mach III and it's not worth attempting to hit it on the run. Usually...

If there are two coming in, I'll often get one, but I've never nailed the second coyote. It can be done, I just haven't managed it myself. They're usually departing pretty fast.

Good luck. Go kill some coyotes!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pup in distress works the best at this time of the year. How many you can kill at a setup depend on the type of setup you call from. If you set up and call them across a open field you may get more that one. If you call one in and kill it keep calling for at least another 10 to 15 Min's and you may get another one to follow the first one in. Good Hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds to me like a fawn in distress should be more than adequate.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Wow!! You must have a huge brain to come up with that one. Such wisdom should never be muted. Please continue to embarrass yourself.

There are many copies.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DPole

Wow!! You must have a huge brain to come up with that one. Such wisdom should never be muted. Please continue to embarrass yourself.

DPole, do you ever wonder why you get into so many arguments here?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jimmy, nearly any prey distress scream will bring those dogs in, but if the word is out about using fawn calls, try something different. Any bird or rabbit in distress will also work, even if the prey doesn't exist where you live. I have called coyotes in Montana with grey fox pup distress and there are no grey fox here. like already said, a coyote pup in distress is dynamite during summer.

If you hunt near the dens, it is quite possible to have the young and inexperienced pups all respond at the same time. The most I have had respond at the same time was 5 (that I know of). I think that was a family group and I only managed to get 1 out of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are a problem. On my lease near Butler, GA we always gut the deer somewhere away form the stand - but not near the camp. No matter where we do it, the guts piles are completely clean with 2 hours of leaving the scene. This year, I'll be hunting them as well as the deer.

RH

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Life sucks doesn't it?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pretty funny for a Troll.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

DPole, do you ever wonder why you get into so many arguments here?

He's just practicing being the small minded prick he is.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 05/26/09.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put out a feeder you can see long ways off with cheap dog food and see if it helps,also what county you in?I know Talbot county has a bunch!Good Luck & post pics so we can see the devils!Also try a turkey call if all else fails...just put one in your bag of tricks..

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.