Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I just received a new Bansner stock for a Remington M 7. It has a noticeable mold line where the two halves come together and at the tang. The rest of the stock is slick and very nicely done. Does anyone have some advice re what grit(s) sandpaper to use on the mold line before I have it painted?

There are also four or five very small holes along the mold line. Is that normal? Should I fill them in before painting? With what substance?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fill the holes with epoxy. More will pop up as you sand. Loctite makes a putty epoxy. Great for filling pin holes. 5 ton expoxy from Lowes work on the mold line. So will glass bedding. Sand the mold line down take a razor of squegee of some sort and force the epoxy down the mold line and voids. sand it smooth. I scuff with 220 after I bed it. Mask off the bedding and hit it with some Krylon. They are real easy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Blueprinted gave you some good advice. I can't think of anything different to add. The only thing I did do differently was the use of Marine Tex for the bedding.

They are very easy to work with as he stated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blueprinted
Fill the holes with epoxy. More will pop up as you sand. Loctite makes a putty epoxy. Great for filling pin holes. 5 ton expoxy from Lowes work on the mold line. So will glass bedding. Sand the mold line down take a razor of squegee of some sort and force the epoxy down the mold line and voids. sand it smooth. I scuff with 220 after I bed it. Mask off the bedding and hit it with some Krylon. They are real easy.

Someone's done this before.... grin
Excellent advice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just 9....

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the advice. This is my first "unfinished" stock and I don't want to mess it up.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You may want to confirm the action and floorplate inletting depth is correct for your action. My High-tech (bansners) stock need some work in these areas before I could bed the action to properly feed rounds.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had one like depopulator had. I have had some that got hunted and shot before they got bedded. They have a bunch of tips on their site. You can not screw anything up that can not be fixed with devcon. When you do your bed job, sand down/open the area of the barrel channel that is straight shank, easiest place to get stress or a crooked bed job. Put the stock in a vice, get it level keep working the inletting down until the barreled reciever does not rock. A set of 5 dollar inletting pins are worth their weight in gold. I bed before I finish. It is easier to sand off finger prints and run over then becuase you have to scuff the stock any way. I get better results doing it backwards and masking the bedding. tape will hold out piant better than it will hold out expoxy.

Banser's will help you through any place you get stuck. If you can do your own bedding and fitting, they are alot of stock for the money.

Last edited by Blueprinted; 05/25/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 58 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.