-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice hunting video footage, good to share different perspectives in European hunting through commercial (and thus professional) videos.

The BAR and the driven hunt (looks like Belgian hunts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obhzeGHHWNc&feature=related

The Eurobolt and the scottish stalking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCdOT284B04&feature=related

The B5.25 Hunter light + B5.25 Heritage and the French Partridge / Pheasant hunting (driven hunt only, unfortunately ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goE09L6FDlI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeb11kbKpk&feature=related

Last edited by grand_veneur; 05/08/09.

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
thank you for sharing

T
T
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
thank you for sharing

+1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
http://www.browningint.com/news/video/

Check the BAR Zenith, X-Bolt and Wildlife Scenes video links. Awesome footage with a very good feeling of European hunting context and games.

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really neat video. The European hunting looks like a lot of fun.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grande Veneur,

thank you for posting. Nice footage - although the Bar Short Trac tape shows how driven hunts are NOT to be conducted.

Wrong and dangerous on all counts - placement of hunter stands, type of hounds used, shots taken at running roe deer, blasting away at speeding, distant wild boar are just a few examples.

No critisism directed at you - just placed to convey the issue and not mark this as a representative drive.

Research and hunting practice have left the portrayed way of doing it in the eighties.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're right but this is not a documentary about how to manage a battue wink

We always shoot on running roe deers here. I'd rather stalk them or shoot during silent pushes but ... I can't change the battues ...

I've juste checked the Bar Zenith Viedo again and still think it's awesome footage showing the feeling of a battue.

http://www.browningint.com/news/video/

Check the BAR Zenith, X-Bolt and Wildlife Scenes video links. Awesome footage with a very good feeling of European hunting context and games.

Just checked the old ones (youtube videos at the beginning of the thread). The new videos (from Bronwingint website) are far better.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 07/19/09.

Va t'in tch�re !
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great - GV. Makes Me want to go to Scotland and bring back some venison. Can I take my Remington or Mauser? Sold my Browning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GV - hunting is evolving. Especially the knowledge of drive hunting grew in bounds with the work of Dr. Woelfel and others in the 90ies.

The argument, you cannot change this and that, for we have always done it in this fashion is mood.

Space here prohibits explaining the differences of a battue like displayed in the clip and a drive conducted in modern fashion -

where

Safety (ratio shots / downed animals no greater than 1.5)

is paramount.

Most videos on European hunting display this old fashion, outdated way of doing things.

P.S. We have a ways to go with this - I do my part by teaching forestry students, conducting such hunts regularly each winter.

If anyone is interested, we may do a analysis thread on this.

For now,

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
CMG, I'm not a driven hunt addicted. I do prefer stalking, really ... And I believe the driven hunt style we do perform is not a so-called "success story" unless you give tons of corn to the boars so there are too many of them, fat without trophies ...

When I say I can't change it that's because at this time "young" ideas like sustainable management and sharing of the hunting environement simply can't face the shell of the old style of old hunt managers and big money ...

No problem for me if you want to discuss the driven hunt techniques. I like the challenge of the changes.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GV - thanks for being openminded. I really did not want to critique or lecture you in person. Like stated - just wanted to convey a side note to the movie clips.

Cracking the shell of old style hunting, introducing new knowledge is my day job - most the time I manage not to put off to many oldtimers smile

Best wishes,

Carl

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
CMG,
Sorry to interfere but I get the feeling that we may be comparing appels and pears. Unless I'm wrong you are referring to the "dr�cken", i.e. a silent drive with no beaters, hounds and/or shouts. Animals are not chased by running dogs but deranged by a few discreet drivers, so that they leave at a slow pace. This mode of hunting allows selective harvesting and is closer to stalking than the drive hunting with hounds and beaters that create quite a racket in order to flush out the animals. 99% of these are shot on the run (the shooter needs to be experienced and familiar with forward lead techniques). This mode of hunting is much less selective and is meant to achieve a shooting plan (= numbers). Considering the weight of traditions, short hunting seasons, cost of hunting (20-30 hunters participate and do help in bringing down the cost), shooting plans, etc., drive hunting "� cors et � cris" (= with horns blowing and lots of shouting) remains the most popular hunting mode in Belgium, France and all south of Europe.

Where do I stand among those different hunting techniques ? Easy, I like them all for different reasons :

- "pirsch" (=stalking) and high seat : are my favourites for I have the feeling to participate in the ongoing show and drama of Nature. Besides, it's the way I regulate "my" Roedeer's population ;

- "dr�cken" (= silent drive) : in many ways comparable to the high seat, still highly selective and with more chances of seeing game. An uncommon hunting mode on these shores but introduced here and there as an experimental concept. The limited number of participating hunters will keep it from ever becoming really popular, though ;

- "battue" (= classical drive hunting) : the most popular hunting mode, allows for lots of participants (20-40 rifles). Not truly selective, allows gender-, size selection (some experience needed for wild boars and lots of it for Red deer!), which is about all. Often the only way to realize the numbers imposed by the authorities (wild boars !). "Ambiance" is guaranteed though and action often becomes hectic. Of course, safety rules are mandatory -absolutely no shooting in the beat and only allowed outside an angle of 30� away from neighbours (= 5 steps toward + 3 steps laterally). Dangerous behaviour is sanctioned by fines and exclusion. On the downside and considering all shots are fired at game fleeing at high speed, wounding is more frequent. To compensate, the law imposes an obligation of tracking, using highly trained bloodhounds. The latter, mostly Bavarians and Teckels, may be called in 24/24 h. BTW, their's is also a success story with a wounded game recovery rate of 70% !!

If I were to draw a conclusion and say something "final", I'd state that ethics are not to be found in one or the other hunting mode but rather between the ears of the hunter... blush

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you mean by "sex-size selection" ? Speaking about the hunters ? grin

BTW I see no "ethical" question here.

Va t'in tch�re !
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Read "gender/size", meaning game animals...

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
wink

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Andre,

I made no regards toward silent drives, but towards 21 century chase hunting. I am well aware of the distinctions - and will not feel slighted for being lectured, though I wager having organized more chase hunts for paying clients last season than you have partaken in.

Hunting ethics is a word used a lot on the internet - I live and practice. Each shot fired at the fleeing boars would have a dog team (me), after analysing the feed back from the group leaders check, while the hunter sits at the fire.

I have a professional interest in hunter safety (for obvious reasons), clean kills (less dog time for me and less trouble selling the meat) and in the satisfaction of my guests.

Something done wrong 100 times and then called experience leaves the ability to learn out of the equation.

Further - my "chase" means your "battue".

Where we differ - game is not neccesarily running hard and needs not to be shot as such, when the hunt is layed out properly.
I started conducting such hunts in 2003 and have been doing it since - both as a professional on the free market and as a teacher at the forestry faculty in Eberswalde, Germany (see link in my profile).

The finer points of the issue are conveyed to students in a term through classroom presentations, field work and the organization, conduction and analysation of a chase hunt by the students.

Last edited by cmg; 07/20/09. Reason: clarification

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To illustrate the point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr8ZUrzgCTQ

My terrier trackvoicing on the trail of a doe showing deliberate and no excerting enemy avoidance. Correct judgement and good shotplacement where possible even after filming - please excuse my poor video skills.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 67 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,788
Posts18,496,024
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.