Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Anybody use friction tape on the exposed steel to improve grip and reduce slipperiness? I'm thinking about doing it on the front- and back-strap of my Browning HP. Would there be any rust issues?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
there's sure be some ugly issues.....Pachmayr makes a rubber replacement grip that's cheap and includes a "checkered" front strap.

the tape would pick up all kinds of crud and get very dirty very fast, I would think.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use the stuff VZ sells, not very abrasive to clothing.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Steve, the Pachmayr grip feels like a 2x4 to me, so it's out. I have a nice pair of Spegal grips on it, and they help, but not quite enough.

JB, what's VZ?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VZ is a grip manufacturer, they also sell skateboard tape cut to fit the frontstrap of 1911's and HP's. You can buy and cut skateboard tape on your own of course.

FUGLY - PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!

There, I feel better now...

"Stippling" is the method of choice for Hi-Powers. The frame isn't thick enough for checkering or other methods that remove metal. Stippling is done by tapping a special punch with a hammer evenly throughout the frontstrap. A slight burr raised by the punch provides the 'gripage'. The stipled area is lightly sanded/buffed and refinished.

I prefer the "sharkskin" stippling, which is generally smoother and tighter feeling than other types. The final effect will be different from 'smith to 'smith. Cylinder & Slide charges about $100 for a basic stippling job, with a refinishing charge on top of that.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Just get it stippled, properly.

You'll be much happier later.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I've had this HP since 1980. I bought it after getting rid of one that I'd had for eight years that was stippled - I couldn't get past the knowledge that the pits were a way of culturing rust.

It's funny, but the Spegal checkered grips tend to make me more aware of the slipperiness of the parts that aren't checkered.

Thanks. I'll take a look at VZ, or even buy tape since it appears there's no rust issue. I'll be sure to take the tape off when there's a chance anyone could catch me with an ugly gun!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
VZ is a grip manufacturer, they also sell skateboard tape cut to fit the frontstrap of 1911's and HP's. You can buy and cut skateboard tape on your own of course.

FUGLY - PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!

There, I feel better now...

"Stippling" is the method of choice for Hi-Powers. The frame isn't thick enough for checkering or other methods that remove metal. Stippling is done by tapping a special punch with a hammer evenly throughout the frontstrap. A slight burr raised by the punch provides the 'gripage'. The stipled area is lightly sanded/buffed and refinished.

I prefer the "sharkskin" stippling, which is generally smoother and tighter feeling than other types. The final effect will be different from 'smith to 'smith. Cylinder & Slide charges about $100 for a basic stippling job, with a refinishing charge on top of that.
Yep.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Taping a gun just feels too "gang banger-ish" to me. Unless of course it's tape on the old triangular handguards of an SP-1. We used to do that.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Taping is an ok fix if your shooting IPSC or similar, but it is ugly. Go with stippling, more classy

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WELL, I use the skate board tape on a couple of mine. Just cut it so it goes under the grip panels and when it get worn replace it. Hardly notice it on a blue gun. 'Sides I prefer function over form. If you look close at the Colt Pocket .32 you can see it on mine.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by T LEE; 05/28/09.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just remembered something.....you can use emory cloth. It's dark...you just put the ends under the grips and tighten them. Looks much nicer than tape, and gives a good grip. It will eventually wear out, but you can replace it in a minute.

not a permanent solution, but.....

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
'Sides I prefer function over form.

Yep, but I can have my cake and eat it too. 'Sides, none of those guns are Hi-Powers. wink

Tell you what, you'll convince me when I see skateboard tape on your pet .38 Super Commander. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with the skateboard tape is the fact that sooner or later it starts to come off. When that happens, it will often scratch your gun, or stick to clothing etc. It's a somewhat temporary solution. For long term, stippling is the way to go on a Hi Power.

Or, try to find a way to make the frontstrap and backstrap panels on a set of Pachmayr's slide under your Spegels.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Or, try to find a way to make the frontstrap and backstrap panels on a set of Pachmayr's slide under your Spegels.

Yeah right, like you've done that to a Hi-Power. wink

I should post a photo of the S&W M19 that I had Rhino-Lined...

Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It does have but alas my son is now the holder of that one. frown

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Stippling is definitely out - I went that way once, disliked it intensely, and haven't changed enough to want to revisit old mistakes.

There's plenty of friction tape that isn't skateboard sandpaper, I think, and should just be ugly/functional, and not ugly/functional/destructive - aluminum baseball bat tape, for instance. When it peels off, apply anew. Few enough people will see it long enough to be offended - unless I post a pic...

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, fine. I know when I'm beat. I'll stop trying to convince you.

[Linked Image]

Robert Frost
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Nice looking. What do you do to prevent rust from forming in the pits?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Why not good old checkering?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 51 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.