Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
A recent chainsaw question was timed perfectly and was quite helpful since I am also in the market for another saw. Been using an 18" Homelite I bought form Home Depot a few years ago for $150 or so. I cut firewood for myself and my dad so I do not use one everyday. But for a week or so every year it gets a pretty good work out. My old saw does OK on the smaller stuff, but struggles when I have to cut a bigger tree.

The guy at Ace Hardware recommends a Stihl 290 With 18" bar and 56 cc motor for $359. I have also found a Husqvarna 455 Rancher model with 20" bar and 55cc motor at Tractor Supply for $399. Even though the Stihl has the same size bar as my old saw it is going to be much more powerful. Probably even more so than the 20" Husqvarna. Both brands seem well thought of with what seemed to be a slight preference for the Stihl based on the previous thread. I'm leaning towards the Stihl, but wondering if the 2" longer bar will really help for those rare occasions when I have to cut a bigger tree.

Opinions please.

Sorry, I accidentaly posted in the wrong forum

Last edited by JMR40; 05/28/09.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Go visit real pro shops that sell and service the saw brands you like. Mix and match the powerhead you want with the size bar you need. May cost you a little more but you will probably end up more satisfied by supporting the mom and pop business that will support you and your saw.

Last edited by carbon12; 05/28/09.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Carbon gives good advice go to the local dealer. I have a Stihl and Husky and they are both good saws. I have 2 Lombards here I inherited from my FIL I need to get running!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do the 2 contenders BOTH have roller nose bars ?

.....maybe I should ask,.....do either one of em' ?

they both equipped with dogs teeth ?

Are both sprockets reversible ?

CARBON 12 JUST GAVE YOU THE BEST ADVICE.

Hardware store clerks are just that. Saw Loonies at the local small power equip shop are something else entirely, God Bless 'em.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
T
I have a stihl 290 with the 18" bar like you mentioned. I have had it for about 5 years and it still runs like a champ. To me the 18" bar serves me well. Good luck

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had an arborist out to remove a birch that was leaning and getting too close to the house. He used a small Stihl in his limbing and topping. Then he asked if he could use my Stihl ms 290 to fell the last 11' or so of the tree. He shared a lot of tips and techniques with me and I learned a lot.

Bottom line, I bought my saw 5 or 6 years ago from a local shop upon advice and council that they gave me in regards to the type of "logging" I would be doing. My arborist confirmed all that was previously decided. He said that I probably would have been just as happy with a Husky (he uses Stihl) but the Stihl shop and service is close and very worth while...not that I've needed it.

Get the Stihl and put an Oregon chain on it and be done with it. Keep the origional chain as an emergency backup but stick with the Oregon Chains.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks, but the Ace hardware is independently owned and is the local pro shop. Have their own repair and service center in back. The salesman was helpful and knowledgeable. I was unable to speak with anyone who knew anything about the Husqvarna at Tractor Supply. That is why I am seeking advice here. There always seems to be someone here that has the right answers.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think you will go wrong with either. Both the Husky and Stihl models you are looking at are about the same power size. I think the ergonomics and how each feels for you will be the deciding factor. When I was looking at saws I was looking at Stihl, Husky and Jonsered. I got the Husky because at the time, it was slimmer and lighter than the comparable Stihl model. Whatever you decide, both will be hands down better than the one you have.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Both are good saws but I would go with the one that is easiest in your locale to get parts and service for it.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a related question.....

While I was upstate helping my friend clear the tote roads of winter wind falls from this past season, we were talking with his neighbor about chain saws and he recommended making sure any future chainsaw purchases had a cast iron engine vs. aluminum. I'm no pro, but since JMR40 is shopping for one, do any of you think this matters? I THINK he's reasoning is that the engine will last longer (if memory serves). I imagine it would make for a heavier chainsaw. Anyone?

Thanks in advance. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go with a saw that can easily push a 24" bar. For Stihl, the MS310 comes to mind. It's always nice to have a little more than less when it comes to chainsaws and for about $50 more you can have it. The longer bar is safer and much easier on the back in my opinion. Stick with the places that deal and repair saws and stay away from the Home Depot stuff.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I didn't know any saws had cast iron engines. Someone here will know.
I think it was a Stihl video I was watching that said they are made of magnesium and/or aluminum and it showed them being put into an oven to temper. I don't think I'd want to lift a cast iron saw.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Bulletbutt. I haven't even researched the cast iron/ aluminum choice (if there is one) until now. My buddies neighbor is a hard core wood cutter and heats his house year round with wood from his property (I think he has Kero as a back-up), so I assumed (that could be dangerous) that he knew what he was talking about. I did a quick search on Yahoo, and all I found is a reference to: "CYLINDER: Aluminum with cast iron sleeve." on a Vintage chainsaw site. Hmmmm??????

I do know that Stihl and Husqvarna are the brands I'd be looking into if I were in the market. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They call it a Stihl because when the guy with the Husqvarna is done cutting the fellow with the Stihl is Stihl tryn to get his saw started.

Bad joke I know, they are both great saws.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Look at the Husqvarna 359. They weigh 1 lb less than the Stihl 290. They hold more gas and oil than the Stihl and have a couple more CCs of power.

I bought the 359 and threw an 18" bar on it a couple years ago. My buddies with their big Stihls and 24"+ bars all laughed because I bought a "bitches" saw.

The funny thing is,whenever we go to cut firewood,they all end up wanting to use my "bitches" saw after a couple hours of lugging their big ass saw through the woods.

I cut 3-4 cords per year. A couple for 2 weeks in camp,and a couple for the house. The 359 does everything I need.

B
B
I have had a bad experience with a 455 rancher I purchased a year and a half ago.The oiler has never worked for more than 3 fillings without dying.Have taken back to the dealer 4 or 5 times and each time the same thing,run 2 or 3 tanks through it and the oiler quits completely.
Not putting down husqvarnas,I also have a 359 and it performs pretty much flawlessly.One of the guys at the dealership told me that husqvarna was having problems with the oiler on the 455 and wouldn't admit it.He said they had gone through several differnt part numbers and near as I can tell they haven't solved the problem yet.
Bricker

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Within the circles I find myself, Stihl saws are the overwhelmingly popular choice. I can run about 20 family members and friends through my recollections and all of them own a Stihl and not a single Husky anywhere. Sizes run the course from old 026's to brand new 440's. None of us are professional loggers by any stretch but all of us depend heavily on a woodpile as a primary heat source.

My dad ran his 026 for as long as I can remember, until keeping up with his buddies sort of forced him into a brand new 290 recently. He did upgrade to a longer bar though. I run a 390 and think it's a little small, but hell, three of my close friends here all run 440's so maybe I've got some keeping up of my own to do. I'll pass the 390 down to my son when I make the leap to the 440. I've owned it for almost ten years now, with no regrets.

Beyond prudent maintenance I've had no trouble with my 390, except the time I had a tree twist on me and come down the wrong way...pinching the bar, trashing it and the chain, and then popping loose one of the vibration dampeners in the handle mount. A new bar & chain and a little two dollar piece of plastic that holds the rubber mount in place, ordered in, got me back in business. It's always ran fast and every cold start is exactly the same....two pulls to get a pop on choke and one more to run, after that it starts on every first pull. I've NEVER had to pull that saw more than three times to make it run. Like I said, I've had no horrid issues with my Stihl, it's a good saw.

Personally, I like a little heavier saw. The homeowner model Huskys at Tractor Supply are too light for my liking. I'd rather let a sharp chain, a long bar, and a little weight do most of the work for me. But then again I've only been making chitloads of firewood since 1977, so what do I know.

Stihl dealers are everywhere, at least everywhere that I am...and I guess that's a factor worth considering too.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I agree with the other guys here who are recommending that you go with the saw that is locally supported. To that I would add, Echo and Jonsared, if you find them locally.
I own both Huskys and Stihls, and have used many examples of both. I prefer and have had better service from Husky. More to the point, I prefer a Swedish saw, which includes Husky, Jonsared and Echo. The Swedes build a superior saw. But the German Stihl will do OK, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mooch
Look at the Husqvarna 359. They weigh 1 lb less than the Stihl 290. They hold more gas and oil than the Stihl and have a couple more CCs of power.

That's an excellent saw, I have the 353 and wished I'd went with the 359 or maybe even the 375 with a 20" bar. I'm actually considering selling it and getting a bigger saw.

My dad cuts about 30 cord a year (I help when I can) and he uses Rancher and has for the past several years. He's went through quite a few chains and a couple of bars. It keeps on running, great saw.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have no quarrel with Huskies, but have run Stihl's for more than 30 years, as have most of my friends and family. In this part of the country it seems as though there are Stihl dealers everywhere and they always have any parts needed. (If you run them forever, sooner or later you'll need some parts.)

Someone recommended getting an Oregon chain and keeping the original as a spare. My advice would be run two chains, when one dulls, switch out to the other chain and flip the bar over. When both chains are worn out, replace the bar and sprocket as well.

One of my sons is still using a Stihl I bought new in (IIRC) 1980.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,459
Posts18,529,130
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.