Print Thread
Hop To
#3044854 05/19/09
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Have recently tried - Sawyer Premium insect repellent for Clothing - to use against ticks.

Son and I have been out twice now and it has worked great. No ticks. Watched a couple on my pants and they eventually fell off. The time before having this on my clothing - pulled off 17 ticks.

Supposed to last 6 weeks. Smells initially, but after it dries it is odorless. Sprayed socks, pants, undershirt, outershirt and hat for me and my son. Used a little over 1/2 of the bottle.

http://www.rei.com/product/768970

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
6 weeks? WOW!!! Do you have to re apply after washing?

Okay, I just read the description. 6 washings or 6 weeks.

Last edited by NightBugle; 05/19/09.

07' Bowtech Allegiance 28" 70#
Vapor trail limbdriver, Spot-Hogg Hunter Hogg-it,
Carter BK Hunter,
Lowe 4900, Clark Jungle Hammock,
Mountain Hardware +20 Down, Cabelas XPG -10 Down.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mtnfisher: Thank you very much for that report and for the link to the product.
Did you buy that product through the mail or did you find it somewhere here in Montana?
I went on a canoe trip down the Winchester Wasteway near Moses Lake, Washington several years ago.
This spring trip was marred by enormous numbers of ticks.
I had new blue jeans on and they were a tick magnet.
Wherein the other three fellows would take 8 or 10 ticks off of themselves a day I was averaging 30 on me!
The only difference we could see was that I had brand new blue jeans and my partners had old jeans on???
Thanks again for the tip.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
VarmintGuy,

The REI in Missoula has it - which is where I got it.

I was wearing a relatively new pair of blue jeans - only washed a couple of times. It is the same pair I sprayed. But, these were equal opportunity ticks - they were on our shirts, hats, backpacks, everywhere, - inside and outside of our clothes. Then of course, the end up in the house, car, on the dog.

The enjoyment level has gone up without having to deal with ticks

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They've been out thick this year in Montana. I may be in the Zoo in the next couple weeks. Where is the REI down there?

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
2230 N Reserve St. Across street from Sportsman's Warehouse. Next to Albertson's and Town Pump.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know how much you're paying for that Sawyer spray, but you can make it yourself way cheaper. It's just Permethrin at .5% concentration (Ex Officio uses Permethrin in their bug-proof clothing, too). I've been using Permethrin on clothes and on my lawn to control mosquitos, chiggers, ticks, etc. for several years. Tractor Supply sells it in a 10% concentration (they only list a 32oz bottle online, but they have smaller bottles at my local store):

Permethrin 10% - 32oz

Just mix 1 ounce of the 10% with 19 ounces of water, and you'll get .5% concentration - exactly what Sawyer sells. The 32oz bottle ($18) from Tractor Supply will make 5 gallons of .5% spray! How's that for cheap wink

Hope that helps,
Scott

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Scott,

Will look into getting a jug of it. That's definitely cheaper.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
mtnfisher--
Please post if/where you find it. I'll call Quality and Cenex and post if they have it. I'm getting too many, too.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Called Quality and they said they had it - wasn't sure of the size or the price. Haven't gotten around to stopping in thou.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cenex/Mtn West has it, but only in quart bottles. Look at the online warning sheets; the stuff is high octane.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Quality Supply
$27/16oz

Cenex
$9/8oz
$22/32oz

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My brother and I got the stuff from REI and it works great, he used me as the control the first day out bear hunting before he told me about it mad . He had zero ticks, I had 30-40 in about 2 hours that I pulled off. I might have to go get some of the concentrate and mix up a big batch.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was talking to the local veterinarian recently. Apparently we're having lots of tick and mite problems here in Northern Virginia this year as well. I haven't seen so many ticks since I was at Fort Bragg.

Frontline has worked well, at least so far, in controlling them on my pets.

Thanks for the permethrin posts above!

chuck

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Permethrin works against chiggers too, and is great for those sensitive to DEET. Great stuff.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Big R has it also.

They had 8, 16 and 32 oz

Picked up a 32 oz jug in Great Falls ($19)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How well does it work on the mosquitoes? Lately, I haven't found a bug spray that has deterred them at all. The ones I always used to use just seem to have stopped being effective.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 10 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,511
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.