-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My son's 7-08 has a loose sling stud. I want to keep it rotated in the proper position for the sling, but I guess the screw hole is buggered up in the wood. Can I just remove the stud and put a drop of epoxy in the hole, thn replace the stud to the proper position?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Is it the front or rear stud?
Different fixes for each.
If it's the rear stud, you can fill up the oversize hole with some slivers of hard wood, then use Elmer's white glue (or similar wood working glue) to repostion the stud correctly. If you use epoxy, which will work, you won't be able to remove the stud easily in the fiture.

Don

Last edited by DMB; 05/29/09.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is the front stud. Prolly have no plans to remove the stud down the road. Rifle is a browning A Bolt- Micro Medallion.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some front studs have cut out in the forearm iside the barrel channel that a recieving nut fits in.The wood gets worn or shrinks and lets the nut turn when the stud wants to swivel.In those cases,I take some glass bedding compund and secure the nut in that cutout/ making sure the nut nor beding contacts the barrel.
Some cases ,I very carefully drill out the hole that the stud screwed into and glue a piece of walnut dowel in.Let dry and then redril a pilot hole to screw the sling swivel stud back in.

Make sure the glue sets up at least 34 hours and the hole to put the dowel into is no bigger than the head of the sling swivel stud so the repair cannot beseen

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Hell, I'd just wait until I had some epoxy mixed up for another job and put a dab on the threads, make sure it was lined up straight, and call it good.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still cannot imagine why the MIchael's QD100 swivels are not the only thing going... The stud sticking out there does no good and I have seen more than one bench problem caused by them.

The flush mount style is slicker, quieter and as far as I have seen 100% reliable. I bought 100 tubes direct from Uncle Mike's for about $75 and they will last me a very long time!

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8892&title=UNCLE%20MIKE'S%20QD%20100%20SLING%20SWIVEL

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, I have never seen those before. So the tube gets epoxied in the former stud hole? Slick!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've got an A-bolt that had the same problem. Wasn't sure what was going on and in 2007 as my dad was taking my rifle back to the truck the stud pulled out while he had it slung on his shoulder. He caught it before it touched down. There is a metal "nut" pressed inside the stock that threads onto the stud. It had completely stripped out. Nut was tight in the wood. My gunsmith said it wasn't the first Browning he'd seen this happen on. I'd get down and get it fixed. Smith charged me all of $12 to replace mine with one he had on hand.

Shut up and hunt!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd just add some epoxy and call it good. I did put Pachmayer flush mounts on my model 70 Featherweight though.Hey SitkaDeer. I like the Uncle Mike's tubes also but how do you install them to match the contour of a stock such as the featherweight's? Do you sink them below the curve of the wood or can you put a radiius on them?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, that's what I am going to do. The stud is not stripped out because I can tighten it, it just does not line up anymore. It goes a 1/4 past center.

2 part epoxy it is.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wax the stud before inserting it or it will be a real problem to fix the next time it strips out... Lots of force concentrated on those studs...

All of which is why I like the QD100 set-up.

Dealing with round surfaces and a flat tube mouth is a problem. I have built small flats on the belly of the buttstock to allow them to go in flush, but that defeats the purpose of the smooth stock when the sling is off...

On factory stocks I split the difference between top and bottom and cover the exposed wood endgrain with epoxy. I usually bed them in epoxy.

I have cut a crosswise trough to bed them down in so they came up flush, but that was drastic and I did not like it when done.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
coat the screw with Johnsons paste wax if you think you might ever want to remove it and do the 2 part epoxy thing, otherwise skip the wax and it will be permanent

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 73 invisible), 3,271 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.