Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
1st time GPS buyer. I've been scouring the net trying to get a good answer. I'm looking for a hiking/hunting GPS and want a dependable GPS. I've heard the Vista has a lot better battery life, but that it originally had some software issues. Advice please???????

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
60CSX is very tough to beat IMO..

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
60CSx for me also. I don't use it constantly so I don't drain the batts too quick. It starts and finds it's location fast and is really accurate. I haven't tried the Vista.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a vista and it works very well.Locks on to sats. usually faster than anyone around me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own the Legend HCX and it works great. I would not buy one that does not have the high sensitive receiver. A must for heavy cover or deep terrain. Mine has only been tested in the Eastern U.S. but has performed well. I believe the Visa has the altimeter and electronic compass, both cool features but something you can do without. Just plan on getting the TOPO maps, they make the device even better.
If your batteries go out then your compass also goes. Carry a compass separately and use it with your GPS...

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Love my 60CSX! I have used Megellan and the Vista in the past and there is no comparison IMHO. It locks on quick and stays locked in. I use it on my dual-sport motorcycle as well. Great unit!

Good Shooting!
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by hunting1
Love my 60CSX! I have used Megellan and the Vista in the past and there is no comparison IMHO. It locks on quick and stays locked in. I use it on my dual-sport motorcycle as well. Great unit!

Did you use the Vista HCX? Apparently the H models are even more sensitive than the 60CSX. I was just worried about software and dependability with the Vista series. It's about $100 cheaper too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went lower end now anticipating crossover/hybrid GPS's (like the onyx and megellens, but with better map prices/resolution and faster CPUs) in the near future from Garmin.

http://www.tigergps.com/refurbventurehcg.html

Disposable technology at that price point.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It was an early version of the Vista and would loose signal if not held upright. It was not as user friendly either. I had I think it was the Summit as well. Software is easy with the 60.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Have you considered Delorme PN-40? IMO, I have just recently bought the 40. I am no GPS expert and did some research on other GPS's. I found the 40 was the most reasonably price especially with the mapping software. What do you plan to use the GPS for? The Delorme website, along with others are so helpful, I am very glad I made the purchase with Delorme. The only additional benefit that I can see coming from Garmin is the radio receiver that works with others. That's great if you hunt with others and want to hear unwanted radio chatter surrounding you. It's just my thoughts on GPS's. I am very happy with the 40 along with everything that come with it. The batteries have lasted for me for two days straight with tracking, routing, etc. Total of 24hrs. I have never had a problem getting a signal and I live at 8500ft and have done about four hikes with the 40. It's been raining the past five days up here and I walked about two miles within my neighborhood and I never lost signal. I guess they say the rain will loose the signal to your GPS. Anyways, that had been my experience so far. Just wanted to input what I have experienced with the 40, good luck on your purchase!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went the PN-40 route too because of its ability to display raster images (aerial photos, actual USGS topo maps, BLM maps, etc.). With DeLorme software, you can also upload line files and shapefiles, which gives you the ability to draw property boundaries around areas you want to hunt and display them overlaid on the raster images. I use a Garmin 60 CSx for work because Garmin's our only option and they work great for giving you your location, marking waypoints, tracking and routing. But the PN-40's ability to handle raster images makes it a much better hunting platform IMHO. It is a little spooky though when you're sitting in your house and turn it on and it shows your location icon on top of your house in the aerial photo!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,129
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.