Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TSEMP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Why is there no info in the campfire about the Dakota Model 10. Anyone have any information on them to share it would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
$$$$$$$$$$$
that's about the only thing I can think of.

T
TSEMP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Not really...you can pick them up for 3-4K...That NO different than building a custom rifle!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For 3-4K, I can have a brace of #1's. That's simple.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
It seems to me that I heard that they don't have ejectors, just extractors. Is that true? To me, I want a rifle that kicks the spent casing out from under a scope like my ruger No. 1's.
Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've also heard that they don't shoot very well, for that kind of money I want a tack driver.
Ruger # 1 Guy

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...I haven't any experience with the Dakota 10. But it sure is as beautiful in line and form as any rifle I've ever seen. More feline than the bulkier look of the Ruger single shot, aesthetically the model 10 is as beautiful in form as the finest of shot guns. Seems to me a gun that looks that good must be a joy to carry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .270 I had about 10 years ago was plenty accurate - every bit as much as my #1's.

Mine was an extractor-only. I don't know if an ejector is available optionally, or if mine was altered - as I bought it used for $2500.
In any event, the extractor is more desireable than an ejector for a non-dangerous game rifle, IMHO. More "sporting", if you will.
If more firepower/speed is needed/wanted, some other type rifle, other than a single-shot, is indicated.

The one I bought had upgraded wood, and a skeleton gripcap - which IIRC were options.
I DO know, that I had absolutely NP selling it within 10mins, for $1K more than I paid, by simply walking into a gun show with it a year later.

I was just uncomfortable, hunting the woods (which I did) with that nice/expensive of a rifle.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Sometimes one of these shows up at First Stop in Rapid City. They are beauties! But that's the limit of my experience with them is just looking. By the way, they may have extractors because these are supposedly silent while reloading, but ejectors make a noise which could allow a dangerous beast to pinpoint a hunter. Also I know I'll disable the ejector on my Ruger #1 since the cartridge cases cost a lot for my .450/.400!

Last edited by Golfswithwolves; 03/16/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one in a 25/06, it was a bit selective about what it preferred to shoot but it would shoot fairly well. Of the fellas that I know that have them I've not heard of one yet that wouldn't shoot.

Pretty darn sure mine was an ejector.

I'd love to have one done for me in 7 Mashburn Super.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several of them, all in varmint calibers. All of them were easy to develop a varmint worthy handload for ( 1/4" to 3/4" load ). Never heard of one that wouldn't shoot, but who knows. Most of mine were bought gently used, mostly from First Stop Guns in Rapid City. I like and have several custom and factory Ruger # 1's, but the Dakota 10 is way above a # 1.

All of mine are extractor only, but I don't know if that means they are all extractor only, but I bet they are. Getting ready to order another in .17 Ackley Bee ( bet you won't see another one in that caliber very often ) through First Stop.

But, they can be "pricey"...........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Dakota 10 in .270 that I shot for the first time today. I got a three shots touching group at 200yds (two in the same hole) with factory Federal 140gr Accubonds. I think it's what I'm taking sheep hunting this year.
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like mine:

[Linked Image]

It has shot 1/2 Minute to 300yds and handles like a dream. Having an ejector would increase the weight and size of the forearm so it's a tradeoff.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is very pretty. I like the beaded cheek piece on mine, too.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it ttrue that they cannot be cleaned from the breech end? Heard that once but never had an opportunity to check if it is true.

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, 1B that is true. The tang mounted safety doesn't allow it. In fact, yesterday at the range, I wanted to post a neon sign "yes, I know I'm cleaning it from the wrong end, please don't tell me again", as everyone there stopped by to inform me of my error. These Sunday afternoon accuracy afficinados then would shake their head mumbling to themselves about the crown as they receded back to their position on the bench, only to return later to comment about the destablizing effect of the barrel band, followed by "it cost HOW MUCH??????!!!!". Gotta love the range chats, I always feel like I brought a stripper to church.

I actually have a bore-snake for the little .270, but forgot it. This might be just the right compromise to cleaning the Dakota 10, without risking a crown ding.

DJ mentioned the other oddity of the Dakota 10 (as compared to a Ruger 1), that they don't eject.

Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DJ, I think yours has nicer wood than mine. I shoot left and do not have a cheek piece. The metal is case-colored, and I've got a 30mm Z6 mounted on it (no open sights). It does have a cartridge magazine in the stock....pretty cool; and the recoil pad is the red "old English", type.
Don
PS you may recall that a few years back, I had an engraved .270 #10 that I sold....funny, now that I think about it, I sold it and put the money down on this years sheep hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don,

Here's an idea for a no cleaning rod way to clean your rifle. First, use Wipe Out bore cleaner. To clear it out from breech to muzzle, you can make a simple little rig. Get about 3' of the heavy monofilament from your weed whacker. Form a nailhead on one end, by heating and deforming it. Cut the other end on a sharp angle. Now take a proper sized jag for your rifle, and cut off the threaded shank. Now, bore a hole lengthwise down the center, just large enough to pass the mono through, and thread on your jag. Now you just thread a clean patch on the mono, and pull it through the bore, like a Bore Snake. Difference is, you can now put a clean patch on every time, instead of pulling the same dirty Bore Snake through. Also makes a great lightweight field cleaner. As the mono, is stiff enough to push out mud/snow etc.....

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
That's a great idea! Thanks,
Don

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Is it true that dry firing A Dakota 10 can break a firing pin which requires a trip back to the factory to replace it? I remember being told that by Dakota at the Shot Show years ago. He said no field kit was available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (1_deuce, 673, 3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 21 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.