Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
This ones a little differant. Keep your defense's up !!<P>Another malicious email virus is going around. <P>A Trojan horse that uses ActiveX is lurking on the Internet. Trojan horse Offensive, so named because it makes offensive references within the Windows registry, could arrive via e-mail as a link to a Web page ending in .html. When opened, the Web page will display a button that says "Start." If pressed, Offensive will severely damage your Windows operating system: no icons will be visible on the desktop, no programs will execute, you will not be able to shut down Windows, and you will not be able to work around these effects in the Safe Mode either. According to Symantec, if you have been affected by Offensive, you should contact a computer professional. Because Offensive is not yet widely reported but may cause serious damage, it currently ranks as a 5 on the CNET Virus Meter.<BR>At this time, only a few antivirus companies have updated their signature files to include Offensive. You can limit your chances of exposure to Offensive by disabling or selectively accepting ActiveX components when visiting untrusted Web sites.<P>This one isn't as obvious as the "Hi, How are you?" that has been going around recently, so be extra cautious when you click on links in your emails.<P>Cheers<P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tex, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I think it may be too late for my home computer. I think my daughter downloaded this virus, since I couldn't get my computer to work properly all day yesterday and even in safe mode I couldn't seem to troubleshoot the problem. Guess I'll have to instruct my daughter in internet protocal AGAIN! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]- What will it take to repair? Parts replacement or a wipe and reinstall?- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Call me.<P>Tex<P>469 426-0833

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
texas_hunter thanks for the heads up. i will be on the lookout.

OSAMA BIN LADEN YOU WILL BE MEETING ME VERY VERY SOON.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tex,<P><BR>What virus protection is the best? I used Norton when I first bought my machine, but it was consantly flashing warnings and locking up my screen. The folks at Dell said my symptoms were common. On their advise I reinstalled Windows '98 and did not reinstall Norton. I am unprotected as far as I know. No problems so far (six months), but I am probably on borrowed time. Any suggestions?<P>Thanks pard,

Rick

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.