Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
guys,<BR> I am very dissapointed with the government. As everyone knows I am in college. I have not been able to qualify for a pale grant. I was discusted to hear that a girl my friend knows qualified.<BR> HEre is the background, I come from a divorced family. I live with mom. She makes around 32k a year, she is single and the sole income producer of the household. she pays it all by herself. I work but it is just for gas and school supplies. I am a hispanic. I figure with this no doubt I would get a grant. no such luck.<BR> Her background, parents live together. dad makes over 120k a year mom 50k a year. very rich. she is Cuban and works herself. applies for a grant and gets it. <BR> is there something wrong here. Why do the rich get richer and the poor get poorer or stay the same? I feel the rich get more help then the mid and lower class. I can't complain though I am getting by. just wanted to see if this was strange to other poeple too. <BR> I guess jo dee Masina says it best in her song "I'm above the below and below the upper stuck in the middle where money gets tight but I guess I'm doing alright".<BR> <BR>any input would be great.<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pell grant doesn't cover much, anyway. the bulk of the money will come from stafford loans, and most of that is unsubsidized.<P>did you apply early enough this year? it operates first come first served...<P>funny you mention jo dee messina's song... i've been finding truth in that song since it came out.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is odd to say the lest. I wouldent think that any one who was in a famly that made more that 80k total could get finacial aid. There must be some other thing (like what big time was saying).<P>well i knew that are government was f***ed up but that more that i would think

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
when I was in college first year students could not get pell grants because priority went to the seniors first then the juniors then the others. I only started getting them in my jr and sr years. <P>the money runs out after that, yes first come first served.<P>I also found out that it depended on your individual income, not your families. When I claimed my self as head of household and "lived independently" i got money faster. I guess they figured I was not being supported by "dear ol dad".

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The "government", meaning the rest of us taxpayers, owes you nothing. Years ago my Mom was widowed with five kids, me being the oldest at age six, when she was 26 years old. She had a high school education and no work experience. She kept us together, somehow, by waiting tables ($18 week plus tips), working in housekeeping in a hospital($1.25 an hour) and several other sundry jobs. All of us started working at a young age and we all were able to get through college or trade school on our own. (And yes, I walked two miles to school.) No sob story here, but it can be done. Think positive.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with John White on this one!! My son-in-law worked his way through college at a fast food restaurant. When he graduated he looked for a job for six months. Since that time he has held four jobs in seven years, now is a catagory manager over all the stores and tobacco sales for a major oil company in the US. It comes with dedicated work both mentally and physically. Quit looking for a hand out, work and the help will come. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
john white,<BR>no sobbstory here bud I was just letting everyone know how screwed up the government is, I was not talking about the tax payers, just our people at financial aid. I pay taxes aswell as everyone else. I think the gov should worry about the mid or lower class before the rich. maybe you took affense to this because you are rich. maybe if you feel this way you can kiss my a**. I don't complain about sh*t, I just let people know my feelings about certain thing. This was not made to bring any sobbing it was just to let all people see how it is in college in my times.<BR>I am working my way through college and it is damn hard and I am damn proud of it. I guess I don't need no gov't handout if it is coming from the rich they then I guess they can keep it. I just wish people that ain't as fortunate as others can be cared about. I look forward to being rich someday, so that I can try to make a difference. You my friend need to think before you speak.<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
YoungBuck,<BR> Don't fret John white,,he's an ass. But I agree in part with what he is saying. I'm paying for both my wifes and my college educations. We were lucky enough to get loans for our education. We would never expect anyone to pay for our education. every month I write a check for $245 to sallieMae. Not to be an ass, but it is better when it is earned,,,,BEARHUNTER

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Youngbuck, you just keep plugging. <P>My wife and I went back to school together after being married for a while, knowing we were going nowhere without an education. We went to school together, fulltime, for five years. We got real familiar with Top Ramen - sometimes we'd splurge and have an egg in it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <P>She worked as a waitress for the most part, and I cleaned meat markets as an independent contractor, because it was at night, and the money was decent.<P>It's amazing what can become easy to do. One summer, we didn't have anything to eat. Nothing. So I threw a crappy old lawnmower we had and half a can of gas on the roof rack of our '70 Beetle, and drove around town looking for lawns that needed to be mowed. I walked up to the doors and asked if I could mow their lawns. I don't know how many were pity jobs, but I ended the day with enough money to buy groceries for a couple of days. Some of those people became regular customers for the rest of my college years. Mowed lawns in the day, cleaned meat markets at night. <P>I had the Vietnam-era GI bill benefits coming in, and that helped a lot. But remember, there were two of us, going to school at the same time. <P>I know how discouraging it can get at times. But you hang in there. It does pay off. And looking back on it, my wife and I agree: those were some of the best times of our lives. <P>greggun

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Youngbuck I know about the crazy rules. Have two in college right now. When they were babies my wife and I stated puttin money aside for them to go to school on. I figured that four times what it took me to get through would be enough. It wasn't. BUT when we went to try to get grants and such as that the finance people said NO Way. They have too much money. So the boys have done every thing from spreading human manure to baging groceries. They washed their hands between jobs. I would have rather they wouldn't have had to work but that wasn't possible. Crazy. I think those that show they really tried to get it together and fell a little short ought to be helped over those that didn't make any effort at all.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
youngbuckaz86,<P>I know exactly what you mean. I was fortunate enough that my parents were able to contribute a good bit to my college education when I was in my first two years. The rest I paid for with academic scholarships, whatever jobs I could scrounge, and student loans that I just about have paid off ten years later. What always amazed me was how kids that were driving brand new cars and had the latest in stereo and computer equipment somehow managed to qualify for Pell Grants and other "need based" financial aid. The truth is that their parents were just very good at manipulating their finances to make them appear "poor" on paper. The real kicker was when I got married between my sophmore and junior years, those same "poor" kids were still getting their "need based" aid, while my wife and I didn't qualify for anything when we were making about $20K per year combined. Oh well, at least I learned that humans can survive indefinately on hamburger helper and ramen noodles! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

Stush
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stush, -- Golleeee, here I thought I was the only one that knew about Hamburger Helper on Sundays, the Ramen is just everyday food,(no meat needed). I didn't get to college so worked my way through the "school of hard knocks",(oil field, also known as,chicken or feathers). A lot of the time it was feathers for most. Some professions cannot be taught in a classroom but take much experience to learn. The learning can be just as demanding as any college although not as expensive in the monitary way. Just like hunting or fishing, experience is the "best" teacher. You struggle in college but after graduation you are paid back with interest! -- no

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
john whites approach may have been a little crude, but you did come across as whining about not getting what was owed you youngbuck. I also worked my way thru school after serving 2 tours in the army during the vietnam era. a lot of us did. there were no grants in those days so we had to make do with the gi bill and what we could make on the side. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No,<P>I have to agree with you that "some professions cannot be taught in a classroom". I have always felt that a college degree simply indicated to an employer that you were capable of learning. The grades that you got along the way were indicative of how quickly you were able to learn. Most of what you learn in college is never directly applicable in the real world. The idea is to learn to be able to write clearly, read and comprehend, and utilize the mathematical tools necessary to do your eventual job. I have learned more "real world skills" on most jobs in the first six weeks than I did in my college career. <P>You are right about the struggle paying off eventually. With my degree, I have been able to land myself a job in a field that I could not have broken into with a high school diploma only. In this job, I have been blessed with double digit percentage pay increases for the last ten years running. I have met a lot of people that tell me how "lucky" I am to make a good living. The truth is that "luck" generally has little to do with success, as most of us here already know. Whether you go to college, start your own business, work your way up through various jobs, success is ALMOST ALWAYS the result of a lot of personal sacrifice and hard work. <P>I do understand youngbuckaz86 frustration though. It is tough to see kids that don't work and have the means to pay for school outright get handed a check from a grant program while you work two jobs and drive an old beater car that you pray passes inspection each year. But, thats the way life is. There are always going to be some people that get a free ride. I learned a long time ago that you can't dwell on stuff like this. You simply do what you must to reach your personal goals. I think now that youngbuckaz86 has vented, he will probably end up doing what most of us hve done - go back to work and keep plugging away. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Stush
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Ya'll - not to add fuel to the fire but youngbuck you may want to look into scholarships. A place I have been accessing and getting great results from is a website called Fastweb. You fill out the questionaire and it gives you a complete list of scholarships you qualify for and they update your file each time a new one comes up. I will have my college paid for but I will have to submit numerous essays, stay within the field of what the scholarship is for etc. Another reason I qualify is the years of experience I have in the aviation field. <P>As far as the goverment not being very beneficial or fair it is what we have allowed it to become. <P>Good luck and if you need more info on the website email me. FYI - a co-worker of mine qualified for a full four year scholarship which is worth close to $45,000...she chose to go to Cornell which the scholarship will cover right down to books and housing!!!<P>Toons<P>PS - also keep in mind things which are earned are far more appreciated than things which are handed to you

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Toons, -- you still interested in shotguns? Are you coming to any shows in Dallas? -- no

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Youngbuck- Toons is right. Get with your guidance counselor and financial aide office and try to find out which schlorships, grants, work study programs, ect. are available. You have to learn to play their game. Start in the fall applying for aide for the next year. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Visit them often. I used scholarships, pell grants, and work study programs way back in the dark ages to get through college. My elementary school provided me with a small but helpful schlorship. I received an academic schlorship to a local Jr. Collage. I had a work study program working in the biology prep lab at Ole Miss, plus a Pell grant back when the interest rate was 2%. Many schools offer scholarships for choir, band, athletics, academic, ect. Plus you don't have to pay them back. What is your major. Maybe someone on this board knows of something you can apply for. They usually require writing an essay or filling out the right forms. Good luck. Bob

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guys and gals,<P>John was not being the ass, I feel like and ass. He was not trying to down on me I think he was trying to make me think positive. I wrote a apolopy before I read everyone elses reply. I am keeping my head up and will continue to plug at it. thanks for the reply's and understandings. and again if anyone was hurt by this, I am sorry.<P>86

Enrique O. Ramirez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Morning NO - <BR>I am more interested than ever before but for the next month or two I will be focusing on wrapping this "era" in my life. Once I am settled I will be getting all the info needed to go out and buy my shotgun, and I would be honored to have both you and IIFID meet me in Dallas to find my new shotgun. So be looking for me and let me know of any good ones you see.<P>Hope all is well with you<BR>Toons

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Enough has probably already been said, but I just want to check in as another example of someone who worked his way through college without any grants or hand-outs. <P>I came from a household with very little income (widow mother with 5 kids at home earning just above minimum wages). <P>I went to apply for grants, but they wanted mom's financial information. Her response was that it is none of their business. I worked bagging groceries and as a janitor, but I paid my own way.<P>Only advice I would give is to watch out for those student loans. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those students with the newest cars, stereoes, etc., are still paying for their toys years from now. I personally know several students with $20K-$40K in student loans in order to pay for their nice toys. Just because someone has those new things, doesn't mean they are rich or that they won't be paying for it later.<P>And I'm not saying don't use student loans to get an education. I'm just saying the money isn't free and you'll pay for it later. The less you pay later the better off you'll be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,959
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.