T
Here's where my 2.5 x 8 is located.

[Linked Image]

HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On that particular rifle/scope/ring combo, you had 1/2" of leeway in scope mounting fore and aft.

And you didn't screw it up by more than 1/2". Nice work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tom264
Here's where my 2.5 x 8 is located.

[Linked Image]

Tom, since that's a SA M700 with a 2.5x8, here's mine for comparison. Looks like we are around 1/4" to perhaps 3/8" apart on this.

WOW! Let's fight about it! Let's distort each other's avatars, mock the other guy! Sheesh man! crazy

So Tom. Be honest. Throw that rifle up with your eyes closed, scope set to full magnification. You have now mounted that rifle in it's most natural position for YOU. Open your eyes.

Are you telling me, you see NO black around the image? Please do report.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Holy Cow.

All these friggin' pages over THAT little of a difference?

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Jeff I would venture a guess that our scopes are about 1/2" different.

Come on you have to admit the avatar thingy is funny! if it would make you feel better you can distort my avatar all you want.

As to Whether I see the "black".....nope on all power settings without moving my head....honestly.

Heres a pic of another incorrect scope installation. (not by you of course)
[Linked Image]

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Deep breath.

Art, I'm going to help you out. Look at the picture below. That's a M700 Mountain Rifle overlaid on the M7 in question. Note how much further forward the "peak" of the comb is on the M7. That seemed to be what was freaking you guys out.

It's NOT A NORMAL STOCK IN THAT WAY. Now subtract the peak of the stock back to "normal" in your mind. Do we still have a problem? Do you owe me an apology?

[Linked Image]

Just keep a suture kit and a small mirror handy so you can fix yourself up... grin The conquest is anchored a little further back than the latest pic dontcha think?

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT
Holy Cow.

All these friggin' pages over THAT little of a difference?

BMT

Pretty funny, huh?

What set it off was my M7. A rifle which, wearing the laminate stock at least, I'd venture to guess most if not ALL of these guys have never handled. With a Zeiss scope that I know for a FACT none have them have ever even laid hands on, much less eyes. And of course, none of them have my arms, neck, shoulders, or eyes.

But it sure doesn't slow 'em down any, does it... wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by okie
Deep breath.

Art, I'm going to help you out. Look at the picture below. That's a M700 Mountain Rifle overlaid on the M7 in question. Note how much further forward the "peak" of the comb is on the M7. That seemed to be what was freaking you guys out.

It's NOT A NORMAL STOCK IN THAT WAY. Now subtract the peak of the stock back to "normal" in your mind. Do we still have a problem? Do you owe me an apology?

[Linked Image]

Just keep a suture kit and a small mirror handy so you can fix yourself up... grin The conquest is anchored a little further back than the latest pic dontcha think?

So?

It is exactly where it needs to be for peak optical performance, with my body- something that's even simpler to sort out with a fixed eye relief scope.

No chance, period, that scope will hit me. Period.

So, with that off the table, what exactly is the problem here??

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BMT,

just what do you mean. Finally there is something to fight about. This whole ... thread was about 0.024 inches difference - now we are at between 0.2 to 0.5. That is substantial crazy

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
1000 words;
[Linked Image]

Uh oh Tom... take a look at where Sitka says to mount a scope.

You are ALL SCREWED UP, buddy! You are way off from that "expert" placement.

I'm sure he'll be all over you like a fly on [bleep] for it. Oh wait... he's the ultimate hypocrite. Never mind.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tom264
Jeff I would venture a guess that our scopes are about 1/2" different.

Come on you have to admit the avatar thingy is funny! if it would make you feel better you can distort my avatar all you want.

As to Whether I see the "black".....nope on all power settings without moving my head....honestly.

Tom, I spent a while futzing with a 2.5x8 this morning. Getting my debate muscles limbered up.

Sir, if your head position is such that you have NO black around the image at full power, and you aren't moving your head as you change power, then you are flat-out WRECKING your low-power performance. You are destroying one of the best things about a Leupold 2.5x8- the huge, forgiving eye box.

So now do this for me, if you will. Put your head where it gives you full field of view at full power- as you say you are getting. Now turn it down to 2.5x. NOW, move your head back a bit on the stock, and REVEL in the view! Note that you are now, apparantly, right in the sweet spot for the scope, whereas before, you were "too close" to be in it. You now have maximum eye box... you have tons of latitude as to head placement fore and aft... you are, frankly, where you are supposed to be!

These are all direct observations, done right now by me, with a 2.5x8. Please report yours. This is interesting.

Now try to tell me that I've chosen to compromise in the wrong direction.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by okie
Deep breath.

[Linked Image]

So?

It is exactly where it needs to be for peak optical performance, with my body- something that's even simpler to sort out with a fixed eye relief scope.

No chance, period, that scope will hit me. Period.

So, with that off the table, what exactly is the problem here??

Well if you need to mount a scope that far back for optimal eye relief it's proof positive your a pinhead....I'm glad we cleared that up... grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cmg
BMT,

just what do you mean. Finally there is something to fight about. This whole ... thread was about 0.024 inches difference - now we are at between 0.2 to 0.5. That is substantial crazy

I concede the point. The 0.24 inch difference in scope mounting is TEX TIMES as large as the 0.024 difference between the 308 and the 7-08.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You wouldn't know, never having used that stock, with my LOP and that scope. Who's the pinhead talkin' out his okie butt here? Grin...

A guy mounting a scope where it works best for HIM... imagine that! It's almost like... like... wait a bit, it's coming...

It's almost like he's doing it based on his own EXPERIENCE!

The horror....

Laffin'...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Jeff, I just checked on 4 different scopes 5 really (I'm not counting the 5th because I know I do have to move around. 8.5 X 25 Leupold)

1.75 X 6 = no movement req'd
2.5 X 8 = no movement req'd
3.5 X 10 = ever so slight movement...hardly any.
4.5 X 14 = about 1/4" movement.

All Leupolds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's interesting. With the 2.5x8 sitting next to me right now, if I move my head all the way forwards to get full field at full power, then crank it down to 2.5x, the low power performance is noticeably (not subtle, either) worse than ideal, with the head position held constant.

Well, be that as it may, ONE thing that what I did just now showed me is that holy COW you are crawling that stock, compared to where I put my head on it! Wow. You are saying your scope is mounted i/2" further forward even. Factoring that in, on the SA M700 I'm using as a comparison, having my head that far forward is just all wrong for me. It would NEVER work, and I have to say, I'd be a little worried about getting tagged by that scope- and it's a 7mm-08! :-) Something for you guys who are so worried about getting hit by your scope to perhaps consider. It's not a concern, for me, with my scopes mounted the way they are.

To each their own. Whatever works for you. I'd appreciate not being lambasted for mounting my scopes in the way that works for ME, but that may be too much to ask around here.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Jeff, show me were I lambased you.
I just altered your avatar a little for fun.
And for the record I have near 1000 rounds down the tube in this configuration and the scope has never touched me yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where's your head placement on your rifle stock Jeff?

Can you have your wife snap a picture of you shouldering your rifle (Model 7 .358 with the Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38), and then post it here? A picture after all is worth a thousand words.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tom264, while we are doing this, what is your preferred length of pull?

I run 'em in the range of 13-3/8 to 13-1/2".

LOP will factor into this discussion, of course...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Jeff,

I'm mainly a Leupold man and I appreciate the virtues of the long/flexible eye relief they provide. The 2.5-8x36 is an old favorite of mine, and right now I have three of them mounted on Weatherby Mk.V rifles. If there's a long action that's it. I'm kinda stone age and don't have a digicam for picture posting, heck I don't even have a cell phone. But rest assured my scopes are mounted nowhere near as far back as yours. Also my cheek meets the stock right where old Roy intended, I have no problems getting the full sight picture without moving around, and I've not been bit by a scope either.

The ways you and I handle rifles must be radically different. I suspect if I mounted a scope on a Mk.V as far back as you prefer it would be the rear peak of the Monte Carlo that my cheek would meet before the ocular was clear of my eye socket.

I'm no longer in my Weatherby phase anyway. On the short action 700s I mostly run now the rear end of a typical Leupold is right over the area between the end of the bolt and the tang.

m

Page 111 of 173 1 2 109 110 111 112 113 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1936M71, 219 Wasp, 257 roberts, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.