-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 115 of 173 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 172 173
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never said you guys were wrong. In fact, I've said that in general, you are probably correct for most folks.

I said that I was RIGHT to set my rifles up to fit ME.

That will be impossible to comprehend, for those of you who see the world as a pissin' match.

The "rest of the world" can kiss my figurative ass <g>, anyway. These are my rifles, not the rest of the worlds.

A question for the geniuses present. My Kimber works great for me; as some have pointed out, there's only about 1/2" of latitude for fore-aft adjustment in scope location there. It's 1/4", maybe 3/8" from where others with that scope in Talley's have put their scopes based on photo's and conversations with them. The HORROR!

My short-action M700 is set up very similarly to Tom264's, give or take 3/8" or so (by eyeball). Scroll back and see. The HORROR!

So obviously, I'm setting my rifles up quite close to whatever "normal" is. Close enough, I would think, to account for arm/neck/eye or just plain personal preference differences. Perfectly reasonable.

Why then, would you assume that my M7 and that Zeiss are set up so far out from normal?

It's an incorrect assumption, I'm telling you. Based on where they have their scopes mounted, if 340Boy, Tom264, or STA mounted that Zeiss on that M7, they'd mount it pretty close to where I did. It's where it needs to be, optically. Period.

I'm trying to be polite about this, but you guys are chasing a rainbow, here...

Anyway. Whatever. Art, you have had your fun, now go find someone else to try and bully. Hopefully for your sake someone who won't be so easily able to show you are talkin' out your butt <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I think he actually believes he is right and the whole World is wrong...

ding!

BTW, JeffO, I can reco a good chiropractor for the neck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .308 is head and shoulders better then the 7-08!!!

Kevin Haile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 7-08 is head and shoulders better then the .308!!!

Kevin Haile
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Head and Shoulders is better than Prell Shampoo...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The real dilemma is the superiority of the .260 Rem to the 7-08, or is it the .338 Federal to the .358 Win. or the .338-06 to the .35 Whelen or Prozac over Zoloft!!!

Last edited by kevinh1157; 06/03/09.

Kevin Haile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin
That is indeed a dilemma.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff
Weed out the chaff in what you are being given... Your rifle is nothing like set up properly for you or anyone else. Kid yourself all you like.

If your photgraphed stance is "natural" for you, change it. If your stance is contrived (my best guess) in the photo, you already know the answer.

You are once again wrong and refusing to accept it, claiming a pile-on... Watch the "Addams Family Values" movie tonight and look for the scene where the camp counselor tells the girls it is time for Lifesaving class.

"First we need a victim" says the counselor.
"I'll be the victim, i'll be the victim," shouts a blonde girl.

"Your whole life you will be," says the Addams girl.

Classic scene...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 06/03/09. Reason: typo

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WTF??? Nearly 2300 posts on the difference between 7mm08 and .308 (and the difference of 1/4" in scope mounting)????

Buncha Nitpicking idiots.

Don

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Art.

No victim here. A victim would someone who let you spout your nonsense without demonstrating the utter inconsistancy in what you've said.

Pretty sure Don got it right, above... you guys have made a mountain out of a molehill here. Carry on as you will.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
This is like wipin' your butt on a bicycle tire...there just ain't no end to it...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don Gordon
Take a look at the 7 and the conquest mounting job. We are not talking about 1/4". Take a look at the photo of Jeff with his rifle "shouldered". If that does not explain it for you I cannot help...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don Gordon
Imagine someone 1000 miles away, who's never used or even seen the scope in question, publically calling someone out over crap like this. If that does not explain it for you I cannot help...
jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
What you guys are saying is utterly ridiculous.

I have a rifle with a 2.5x8 mounted as I prefer (as close as the Talley's will let it be to me) right next to me. The following are direct observations- which I've made before, which is why I mount my scopes as I do.

In the first place, it is not possible to mount a 2.5x8 Leupold to get a full sight picture at full magnification on, say, a LA M700 or Kimber Montana. Unless your head is way, WAY forward forward on the stock, to an extent I'd have to see to believe. My neck isn't that different that anyone else's. So I simply do not believe that you guys are getting "no black" at full power with a 2.5x8 Leupold, mounted further FORWARD, away from you, than mine are mounted. I call BS.

Second, if my head IS scooted that far forward so as to get a full view at full magnification, and I keep my head in the same place and crank it back down to 2.5x guess what happens? I LOSE the full field of view at the lowest setting- which takes some doing, on a 2.5x8!! The eyebox is now all shot to [bleep]! Now there IS black around the image at low power- something I hardly even would have thought possible with a 2.5x8, but apparantly you guys have found a way.

In addition to that, with my head that far forward on the stock, it's not hard to imagine getting hit by that scope. Duh.

So apparantly you guys are compromising your low-magnification eyebox(which matters a LOT) of your Leupolds in order to get a full field of view at full power (where it doesn't matter anyway). AND, making it more likely you'll get hit by your scope, due to having your neck craned so far forward.

So let's recap.

-I get a huge, generous eyebox and full field of view at lower power settings- where they matter most. NO BLACK around the image at low power; I don't think I could get it if I tried! If I need to make a quick shot, I get a HUGE field of view, the eyebox is maximized to help with whatever crazy body position I might be in (low magnification usually means a quick shot), etc.

-I don't get hit by my scopes, ever. Even shooting something like a .325 WSM Montana from field positions. Contrast that with you guys living in fear of that.

-I don't move my head around on the stock. I choose my spot and stick to it. I don't "chase" the image as it gets smaller as the magnification is turned to max on a Leupold. So there's some black around the image. So? I'm at full power, I'm shooting long, I have time, and I'm in a solid shooting position- OR ELSE I WOULDN'T BE AT MAX MAGNIFICATION!

YOU guys, apparantly:

-have your heads WAY forward on the stock, if you are getting a full field of view, no black, at full power on a Leupold 2.5x8;

-live in fear of getting hit by your scopes (hmmm... see a pattern here?);

-compromise the low-magnification eyebox of your scope enormously by having your eye so close to the scope, OR, compromise the consistancy of your shooting form by moving your head a couple inches back on the stock at lower magnifications. Ask any competitive shotgun shooter how important a consistant cheek weld is. The low-magnification eyebox of a Leupold is spectacular, and is one of the main reasons to even own one. And you are throwing it away. Smart.

As to that Zeiss mounted on my M7, does it look goofy? Sure does. Long scope on a short rifle.

Is it mounted in absolutely the PERFECT place on that rifle? Yep, it is. Any further forward moves it out of the sweet spot. As you'd KNOW if any of you had actually ever used one, which you have not.

Below is a pic of a 2.5x8 mounted on my Montana. Please note, it's about 1/4", maybe 3/8" at the most, further back than say STA's, or 340boy's if I'm remember his rifle right. Are they then 1/4" away from being idiots who deserves to be publically flogged for being so stupid?

You guys are full of it.

[Linked Image]

Ah, so everybody else is wrong and you are right?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Mac84

Ah, so everybody else is wrong and you are right?

You figured anything differently?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I started reloading about 16 yrs. ago I thought I knew a lot . I get the internet and come here only to find I was wrong. If I was in Jeff's position I would try what these guys are saying even if it were just for schits and giggles. Coming on here you don't need anything but just an open mind!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jeff, i dont ever get scope bit either, but he way you hold the gun it looks like you are afraid of it. i am not sayin it dont work for you, just wrong for 99.9% of the population.

it is odd the see a grown man with the form of a young kid with too long of stock, it looks as the your ear is behind the recoil pad. but hey, if it works for you, i'll drop it.

BTW, how the hell do you shoot trap like that and hit anything? if you can hit them like that, i think if you choked up a little you probly could shoot for the olympic team!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Tom,

Had time to had the kid snap this (bad) picture.

Procedure: close eyes, mount rifle to the most natural position for me, open eyes, snap picture.

This is where that scope needs to be, for me, to work right.

[Linked Image]

Looks like your ear is sitting on your recoil pad. Also looks to be a good six inches behind the eyepeice...loooong eyebox I'd say.

Heres a 2.5-8 on my Win 308. Fits me fine.

g
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeff

I think the best way to sell real estate is to jump in the prospective buyers car while wearing bloody hunting pants that have been covered with doe in heat urine. Before shaking hands I give my nose a good cleaning and for good measure pass some gas to add a little ambiance to the pleasantries.

What say you? And if you say; "Fine if that's what works for you", you are FOS.

Last edited by battue; 06/03/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jeff_O - recognise this (from early in this thread).
Note where the scope in in relation to the back of the bolt.
Sorry, no pics handy of my rifles but they are much the same

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeNZ; 06/03/09.
Page 115 of 173 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.