Hop To
#3077966 06/03/09
C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What is the difference between the old Rem Sendero, 1st year of production, and the New Sendero other then the fluted barrel???

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the newer Sendero also has a palm swell stock which some like.I personally don't like it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You are right on the stock...early Senderos had a HS Precision varmint stock, newer models have what we used to call the HS Precision PSS stock...same one Remington used to put on their Police Sniper rifles, and yes it has a palm swell, and is more configured to shoot off bipods and/or prone.
New guns also have the Xmark Pro trigger...jury is still out on that one...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have the original Sendero in 300 RUM and had a Rem M700 Police rifle with the same 'HS police stock' that the new sendero uses. I could not get along with the new stock, hated it actually - it has a very bulky (too much IMO) dual palm swell, and the grip length in too short (my pinky was off the grip when shooting). These are common complaints about these stocks. Other than the stock, no real difference between the old and new sendero. Great rifle overall, and the original is, I think, in higher demand because of the old style open grip stock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does ANYONE like that palm swell HS stock? I don't, either. I own two of them- A Sendero II, and one of those Police rifles.

I just hang my pinky off it and rock on. No big deal... but who the heck's hand was that stock designed to FIT?!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got one in 300 Win I believe is that right Jeff?Sweet round choice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, it's 300 Winnie. It's all sorted out now, and shooting (200-gn Accubonds) very well!

I kinda wish I'd gone 7mm of some flavor at this point, though. I'm seeing the Sendero less and less as a potential hunting tool, and there'd be a little less recoil.

I guess the reason I'm seeing it less as a hunting tool is that I can hit well out to 600 yards (targets, I mean) with my .338 sporter or my Kimber... and I can't seem to get consistant with ANY rifle much past that... so the Sendero hasn't really gained me any "reach" at this point.

That said, I'm still in my infancy with that rifle. It had a chamber problem that drove me nuts, the Jewell trigger drove me nuts for a while, and then suddenly the necks all split on my brass after just 4 reloads and I couldn't find more brass. It's been one thing after another, and kind of kept me from shooting it as much as I meant, this spring.

That said, it's all sorted out now and shooting way sub-MOA, and I've got it dialed in out to 650 yards with the turrets, and it's full speed ahead, to try to extend that out to 800 or so (on targets).

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Sendero in 300winny and was surprised at how much it recoiled. It was very accurate but I think the H-S handle contributed to the level of discomfort.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jpro, agreed. It comes right back into you.

Contrast that, with the amazing recoil reduction of the Kimber Montana stock. Some days I shoot both the Sendero and the Kimber. Both are flingin' 200-gn bullets at ~2900 fps. You'd THINK (Or, I should say, I would think) that the Sendero being so much heavier, would have much less felt recoil. And I suppose it does have a little less. But not like you'd expect!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What powder are ya burning?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Jpro, agreed. It comes right back into you.

Contrast that, with the amazing recoil reduction of the Kimber Montana stock. Some days I shoot both the Sendero and the Kimber. Both are flingin' 200-gn bullets at ~2900 fps. You'd THINK (Or, I should say, I would think) that the Sendero being so much heavier, would have much less felt recoil. And I suppose it does have a little less. But not like you'd expect!

Interesting.
I had a Sendero in 338RUM and shooting 250gr bullets @2900, it set back noticeable harder than does my Accumark 340Roy shooting basically the same load-although the Sendero was a touch lighter.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7 STW
What powder are ya burning?

H4350 in the .325 WSM, RL22 in the 300WM

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 on the felt recoil-I'm shooting an old style Sendero in .300 win and am a little suprised that it doesn't soak up more of the "bump" than it does. My .338 win shooting 210gr TSX's (in a Rem. AWR) doesn't deliver felt recoil as much. Stock design and how it affects recoil is very evident in some cases. The same cartridge (.338 win) in a friend's Tikka is unpleasant to shoot.

Golden............
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
that lon horiuchi HS stock on them has never impressed me and definitely isn't a primo one for absorbing the recoil. OTOH my MC stocks have been very good at it. My Wtby one, was ok, it kept the recoil off you but in the process the design made it twist away from me weirdly..... design and LOP being correct are 2 things. A great pad helps out. And then its to the maker.. IE HS doesn't help, MC does vs felt recoil.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

That said, I'm still in my infancy with that rifle. It had a chamber problem that drove me nuts, the Jewell trigger drove me nuts for a while, and then suddenly the necks all split on my brass after just 4 reloads and I couldn't find more brass. It's been one thing after another, and kind of kept me from shooting it as much as I meant, this spring.

Jeff what was the chamber problem? and did you end up annealing your cases like I suggested.

jc

Last edited by joecool544; 06/09/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
jc,

It had a burr at the mouth of the chamber, so I was getting stuck cases even with mild loads. Figured that one out from the scratch marks on the cases, fixed it with a brass brush. But it was a pisser for a while there.

The cases are all out in my shop, ready to be annealed, and the torch and a tray are right there with them! I got busy putting in our hardwood floors right then and basically have not touched anything on my loading bench in a few weeks. I did buy some new 300 WM brass. I am torn between just running it, to see if my chamber (or die) really is overworking the brass in the neck area, or if that first batch of brass I got was just brittle.

The rifle is shooting very well, though. In fact I may shoot it today as I have some new rings coming in for my .338. It's kind of breezy out though, at least down on the flats where I am...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jeff you need to run up to Holland and have him put a brake on that thing you'll be much happier with it. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I know. I've talked with him.

I wanted to make sure it was a shooter first. It is.

Lately, with this rain, I've been able to shoot at patches of dirt in the clear cuts and see my hits/misses after the fact.

Now all I need is money for a brake! Seems like everywhere I turn, money flies OUT of the wallet easy-peasy, but it's harder'n hell to get it to fly INTO the wallet! :-)

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah but the messiah will right it all for us and you'll be rolling in real estate dough shortly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm OK with that. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.