Page 116 of 173 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 172 173
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Don Gordon
WTF??? Nearly 2300 posts on the difference between 7mm08 and .308 (and the difference of 1/4" in scope mounting)????

Buncha Nitpicking idiots.

HEY!!!

I resemble that remark . . . grin

BTM

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Don Gordon
Take a look at the 7 and the conquest mounting job. We are not talking about 1/4". Take a look at the photo of Jeff with his rifle "shouldered". If that does not explain it for you I cannot help...
art

Yeah, I saw the photos. BFD. It's his rifle. Why get your panties in a twist....especially when you'd really like to see him get a halfmoon scope cut. grin

Honestly, how people set up their own equipment is up to them. You can offer guidance, but in the end they find what works from them.

Don

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
No, but partly from fitting that shotgun, I know when a rifle fits me. From there, I know how to mount a scope so that it fits me, too.

This might be part of your problem. Fitting a shotgun isn't nearly the same as fitting a rifle and thinking that a "fitting is a fitting" is fallacy.

The primary reason to fit a shotgun (as I see it) is to make the pattern go exactly where you are looking whilst holding said weapon. This usually involves working on cast on/off, pitch and drop. I know you aren't adjusting your cast on your rifle stocks and it doesn't appear that you have added or removed anything to the comb of that M7. Highly doubt you've messed with pitch either. LOP isn't nearly as critical to a good shotgun fit (it's important to be sure but compared to the other) as cast, pitch and drop.

The shotgun will hit where you are looking, you really shouldn't be "looking" at the end of the barrel, just the target (breaking edge of the clay or bird) which may be between 10 and 65 yards away. A rifle is different, you fixate on an image an inch and a half above the bore and a foot in front of your face.

COMPLETELY different deal. And feeling is subjective. I don't know of anyone who can fit a shotgun or rifle to themselves and do as well of a job as someone who gets help.

Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can attempt to educate but you can't fix stupid...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could never shoot that Kimber. The scope is too far forward.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you swapped out the front 1" ring, for a 30mm, I'm sure you could eek another 1/8" or so rearward.

Cheek weld be damned........

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
deleted

Last edited by Greenhorn; 06/04/09. Reason: i'm a jerk
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RiverOtter
If you swapped out the front 1" ring, for a 30mm, I'm sure you could eek another 1/8" or so rearward.

Cheek weld be damned........

That's hilarious!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Sofa King we Todd did. Shouldn't be freting bullets/calibers/blue tape... much more to worry about here.

I see you noticed the blue shirt too............laughing

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the gun fits Jeff fine why not leave it at that.It wouldn't fit me or Art or VA ect but it Jeffs rifle.If it works for ya Jeff rock on..

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
you're right. that wasn't too nice. My apologies.. sort of funny though.

M
M
Originally Posted by 7 STW
If the gun fits Jeff fine why not leave it at that.It wouldn't fit me or Art or VA ect but it Jeffs rifle.If it works for ya Jeff rock on..

I guess everyone is different! Some guys graduate law school and can't make a go of it as lawyers. Probably 'cause they're social misfits and marry trailer trash whores who wear red stripes in their hair! LOL! laugh Some have children they spend little time with, but have spent, LITERALLY, a weeks worth of time posting!!! Do the math!!!

SMARTER THAN THE AVERAGE BEAR!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
you're right. that wasn't too nice. My apologies.. sort of funny though.

Always thought your a good dude.Too bad we got on the wrong side of a bitchfest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
7STW
Were it only about the fit of his rifle there would not be any point to argue. But facts are quite different. This individual has been on a bunch of threads running his mouth about scopes, notably eye relief and how wonderful certain scopes are.

Problem comes in when others read somethng quite different from the reality almost everyone else accepts. In JO's case people may see the abomination he calls a rifle and duplicate it. The crescent on JO's forehead concerns me none. The crescent on the unsuspecting would bother me.

He comes in spouting how-to when he should be asking "should I"?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the bitchfest, Mike.

I don't think I could shoot a rifle with the scope as far back as JO prefers-on the other hand, if it works for him that is fine by me.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SD

To inject a little humor you may appreciate since your from Ak.

While checking our rifles outside of Cordova prior to a Goat hunt one of the hunters got to close to his scope on a Kimber .300WSM.
Gave him an ugly gash above his eyebrow/nose. Could have used about 4 stitches. With no other medical people around and me being a pharmacist they asked me to clean it up and asked what I thought. I said that he would probably be ok with some antiseptic and band aids, but since he was going to be humping and sweating some, along with being up on the mountain, that if any infection set in it may not be good for his hunt and that perhaps he should run into town and have the clinic stitch him up.

The guide kind of looked at me funny and I asked why. He said except for kids he doubted that an adult would go the the clinic in Cordova for something that minor. The guy got embarrassed and said for me to just clean and patch it up.

Peer pressure rules again. smile

Last edited by battue; 06/04/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cordova makes some tough women, too... A B-I-L married a woman from there and he was wearing panties inside a month... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For a bunch of guys that seem to know so much, you sure waste a lot of time worrying about someone who does things differently than you do. Apparently, with all your wisdom, knowing when to quit escapes you, and therein lies the common ground with you and Jeff O.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thing about Cordova that made me smile was in going to check the rifles we drove approx: 30-40min out of town to get to the range. Nice little place with a rifle range and a couple trap/skeet fields. When we arrived I said out loud to my self: "No ain't that a kick in the azz". The guide said: "What's up?" I replied that I live on the edge of suburbia but in less amount of time I could have been to four different rifle ranges/clubs.

Your right about the women. In an arm wrestling contest I probably would have to compete in the senior division to get a win, and then the outcome wouldn't necessarily be a given. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Whip

It's the little "extra" stuff that keeps most of it going. Think "ghost ring sight" and you will see what I mean.

If Jeff wants to turn his scope around backwards so he thinks he is shooting far I could care less. However, the bs does get a little thick.

Page 116 of 173 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.