Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I would like to try and make a Tipee with the ability of actually having a small fire inside. I figure the only way that I could do this would to have the upper half lined with a fire proof/resistant fabric. Maybee this is just a "pipe dream" but I think it's worth some investigation before I decide one way or the other.

So does anyone know of anything and/or where to get it?

07' Bowtech Allegiance 28" 70#
Vapor trail limbdriver, Spot-Hogg Hunter Hogg-it,
Carter BK Hunter,
Lowe 4900, Clark Jungle Hammock,
Mountain Hardware +20 Down, Cabelas XPG -10 Down.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You dont need the whole top of the tent to be fire proof. Just the stove jack so it doesnt melt. As long as you have a spark arrestor in your stove pipe your good to go.

Look for Ed T's post on his shangri la 2. It has some good options for the stove jack.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Right, but I'm talking about a fire without a stove. I need to "weigh" the options and see what is lighter. Traditional set up with small fire ring inside (hence a lined top)or contemporary with stove and stove jack.

07' Bowtech Allegiance 28" 70#
Vapor trail limbdriver, Spot-Hogg Hunter Hogg-it,
Carter BK Hunter,
Lowe 4900, Clark Jungle Hammock,
Mountain Hardware +20 Down, Cabelas XPG -10 Down.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gotcha. neat idea.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dude I understand the desire to strip weight away, ergo no stove but still have heat via open fire.

but Indians didn't smell like wood smoke for nada, am thinking they'd have Ed T building them stoves as fast as he could make them or be roastin him over an open fire.

my guess is to use the heavier fire resistant material on the top half you'll negate the loss of weight from NO stove.

and suffer through the smoke as well.

I'd opt for a stove personally.

the guys before us already figured to round off the corners on the wheel. (grin)

not trying to rain on your parade, just my honsest assessment.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Have you tried a traditional canvas lean to set up? That gives you the open fire and necessary ventilation. The lean to keeps the bulk of the weather off and reflects the fire's heat. It's not light though.
Have you ever used a teepee with open fire? I ask because they are not small tents. They have the size to draw properly. This is important unless you want to try carbon monoxide assisted napping.
I'd stick with the stove jack setup for any small enclosed tent.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Indians used extra poles tied to flaps on top to regulate the size of the smoke hole. Then you need air coming in on the bottom to get good air flow. Until the air in the top gets hot enough to rise through the hole, it's going to be pretty smoky inside.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can get your hands on some discontinued emergency fire shelters from the USFS, BLM, etc. you might be able to get your materials for little to no cost. Just remember they won't take direct flame.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 46 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,921
Posts18,518,822
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.