Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 117 of 173 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 172 173
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 340boy
+1 on the bitchfest, Mike.

I don't think I could shoot a rifle with the scope as far back as JO prefers-on the other hand, if it works for him that is fine by me.

You might be surprised, Tim! Have you ever tried mounting one of your rifles with your eyes closed, to help find the natural way your body wants to interface with the rifle? For me, that's with my head/face a little further back on the stock than many others seem to prefer- though I'd ask them if they've tried the above, also. You might try it. Try it in different body postions, rifle at an up angle, down angle... note whether you'd be better off with the scope forward, or back, relative to your natural position mounting the rifle. Just a thought.

I've had a lot of luck in the shooting sports by placing the scopes of my rifles where they function best, when my body is in it's most comfortable, natural position with the rifle. As opposed to, placing the scope where "everyone says" it should go, then contorting my body to that placement. Is this because my body is odd? I have no idea. It might be. I'm a big guy, and a limber neck is not an Olsen attribute <g>. We are kind of stout and stiff in the upper shoulder/neck area. My dad has degenerating disks in his neck that, he's told, are congenital. Maybe my neck is screwy. So it could certainly just be a "me" thing.

As to getting hit by the scope, sometimes the mental exercise called reducto ad absurdum is useful. Reduce the argument to an absurdity, in one direction or the other, and examine it from that context.

In that light, imagine moving the scope on your rifle forward a couple inches (towards the muzzle). Now imagine "chasing" it with your head, forward, such that you've maintained the same distance from scope to eyebrow (since we are all, apparantly so deathly afraid of a scope cut!)... now, imagine the physics of a rifle under recoil. It doesn't want to come straight back; it sort of rotates up, and comes back. With that in mind, picture the result of moving the scope that far forward, then chasing it with your head, forward. Ouch!

Now, imagine the same physics of recoil, except with both your head, and the scope, moved further back. The distance from head to scope is the same, but both are farther back on the rifle, which is coming back, and rotating up, in recoil. Is it better, or worse, in terms of a potential scope cut?

That said, it's just a thought experiment. Could be completely off base, and I make no claims of expertise in knowing what is best for ya'll. I simply, humbly, and as nicely as possible do make the claim that, having messed with this scope placement and LOP business to my satisfaction, I have found what works best for ME. Across a decent span of time, numerous brands and types of rifles, over 10,000 rounds fired, and to include several hard kickers- notably my .325 WSM Montana, and my sporter .338, both of which I shoot so much that I have to STOP myself from taking them every time. It just... works for me, and works well.

Fuel for the fire. Just put some Talley's on my 30-06 to replace the clusterphuck of mounts/rings I had on there. Thank you to the Campfire, for helping me discover Talleys!! Anyway, while I had the Talley's in my hand I compared them to the mounts/rings on my .338. It's a M700. Right now it has Warne cross-slot bases and, if I'm remembering right, Warne rings. It has been absolutely, completely, reliable and rock-solid. And I'm poor as a churchmouse right now. So what am I about to do? Order some Talley's for it. Why? Because they'll let me move the Zeiss 3.5x10x44 further back towards me almost 1/4", and that would be a good thing- for ME. And it's MY RIFLE.

Good day to all, except Art, who can kiss my hairy white ass for starting all this!

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/04/09.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff
Wow, we get a hissy fit for the same price of admission!

Anyone that has actually used a rifle much knows what can happen when absurd shot positions are required. Getting hit by a scope is not a joke. There are one-eyed folks that can tell you how funny it is.

I have hunted with a large number of different folks over the years and many were quite new to shooting. I have yet to see a scope mounted that far back... And that includes many scopes with seriously compromised eye relief.

The really funny part is how hard you are working at getting a rise out of me.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Good day to all, except Art, who can kiss my hairy white ass for starting all this!

That was funny.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coming from Jeff, I'd say it's more likely a come on line, than an insult.....just sayin'

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,
I tend to be a 'stock crawler' and have, I hate to say, gotten wacked or bumped in the eye several times.

For that reason, I prefer to mount my scopes with the end of the occular lined up with the point where the back of the action meets the stock(the tang?) and do any fine adjusting from that point depending upon the rifle, scope, etc.

So, I prefer my scopes considerably farther foward than what seems to suit you.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lucky never gotta the magnum eyebrow as of yet.Actually kinda proud of the fact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

That was funny.

Funniest thing said in the last 100 pages.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whip
Apparently, with all your wisdom, knowing when to quit escapes you, and therein lies the common ground with you and Jeff O.

...and this might be a very good time to do so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Lucky never gotta the magnum eyebrow as of yet.Actually kinda proud of the fact.

Good deal, Mike!

I have never gotten wacked so bad that I had bleeding or anything, but they were enough to hurt and piss me off, that is for sure!!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

When I did feel the presence of a scope near my eyebrow was with my very first rifle, a 30-06, with the scope mounted by a "pro".

Guess where it was mounted? Guess what fixed it? Anyone?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When I did feel the presence of a scope near my eyebrow was with my very first rifle, a 30-06, with the scope mounted by a "pro".

How is that? If a "pro" mounted the scope properly (i.e., farther forward than you personally mount scopes), and you place your head so far back on the stock, how could you have possibly "feel the presence" of the scope??? confused

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Lemme guess, you moved it back? A scope almost bit you, so you fixed the problem by moving it closer to your eye......

Telling....

So here's the thing that nobody is saying. Your stance is very wrong. I'd guess that your offhand game at moving targets with a rifle is pretty poor. Judging from the pic of your stance, your weight is waaaay to far back to have a consistent swing and follow through. Having shot a bit of trap, and a lot of offhand rifle work, I would say your stance has a bit of silhouette influence, where you are trying to support most of the rifle weight with bone stucture to minimize rifle movement.

Which brings up the next point. Anyone can pick up a rifle with the scope set too far back (as long as they know its too far back) and hit with it from a rest. Very few can use that same rifle to hit a moving target.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I'd like to know is how 4" of eye relief, with your ear resting on the butt pad, is somehow better than 4" inches of eye relief with your cheek on the "cheek piece", where it's supposed to be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

A scope almost bit you, so you fixed the problem by moving it closer to your eye......

TFF.....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Surprised I was the only one to comment on that......grin

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too, but it still don't diminish the inherent humour.....grins

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wall, you listening? Didn't think so.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jeff,

If you naturally place your cheek that far back on the stock, how do you go about shooting an AR with A2 style sights?

Especially from the sitting and kneeling.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At some point Pathos sets in and respect is hard to find. He insists he has it dialed and he does not even begin to have a clue. It is harder and harder to feel sorry for him though when he refuses to acknowledge the experience of those knowing better...

The best he has in support is "Well, if it works for you..."
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting. Other people assuming what works for someone else can't be right if it doesn't work for them.

The world (internet) is so full of dumbazzes as to be amazing...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 117 of 173 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.