Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dayton Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tried doing a search but came up with nothing. Does anyone know who does good work turning down barrels? How much is the expected cost?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I let the barrel maker do it.
Butch

Dayton Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can you still have a barrel turned down if it's been chambered, crowned and threaded onto an action? I already contacted the barrel manufacturer and they are not set up to do so.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had a Krieger barrel pulled off of a custom Model 70 and turned down to Win. fwt. contour. Shoots just as good as before.

Dayton Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Huntr, that's very interesting. This barrel is made by Krieger. I indeed called them and talked to a barrel tech. He told me they were not set up to turn down a barrel that has already been chambered, crowned and threaded. Apparently I talked to the wrong person??

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have addressed this question many times and will say the same thing as the very first, any reasonably competent gunsmith should be able to recontour a barrel. A typical charge would be from 125 to 150 dollars including bluing. Recrowning is pretty well mandatory. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm having one done as we speak and the only requirement was to lop some of the muzzle off and recrown, which was fine with me because I like 22" barrels and it started out 26"

Roger Ferrell in Fayetteville, GA.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When i first built my 6mm Remington it was with a Shilen Number 7 Heavy barrel. I decide i would rather have it more manageable for both deer and varmint hunting so i had the local smith turn the barrel down to the Remington Sporter Contour. The rifle still groups under 1/2 inch with the Hornady 87 gr BTHP and Win 760. The barrel is 1&12 twist . Most smiths can turn your barrel down for you . The reason they don't like to do this is because it take a long time to turn it down so you don't stress the barrel. It is a all day job if they do it right. Here is the rifle after being turned from # 7 heavy to Remington Sporter.
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oaktona
I tried doing a search but came up with nothing. Does anyone know who does good work turning down barrels? How much is the expected cost?

May I assume that this is the barrel that I had to replace because you didn't like the contour of the last one and I had to replace it with a different contour that you specified that was different than the original one you specified and I had to do the whole job and did not charge you for it? I still have your old barrel, want to buy it back?

Jim

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Huntr, that's very interesting. This barrel is made by Krieger. I indeed called them and talked to a barrel tech. He told me they were not set up to turn down a barrel that has already been chambered, crowned and threaded. Apparently I talked to the wrong person??
Huntr didn't say that Krieger did the job.. He just said he had one of their barrels turned down.

It's a factor of having the right setup to do it - usually entails a much more sophisticated lathe than many smiths have..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Redneck is correct, Krieger did not do the work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
...It's a factor of having the right setup to do it - usually entails a much more sophisticated lathe than many smiths have..

Don't know all that much about lathes but that must be the reason Pac-Nor was able to turn down my barrel. It was a 23" Remington Sporter contour (.660" at muzzle) and I decided it would feel better as a 22" barrel about halfway between the Sporter and the Mountain rifle contour (.550" at muzzle). They got pretty close, it's now .605" OD at the muzzle. Shaved maybe 3 ounces total weight but the rifle's balance is significantly more neutral.

Anyway, P-N said no problemo, it cost $35 plus shipping. Probably helped that it was stainless so it didn't need rebluing. I'm taking the rifle out this weekend to see if I've fixed it to the point of breaking it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Jim didn,t you have the 70 06 Pac-Nor that I own, barrell turned down also? If so it still shoots great. Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am pretty sure Kampfeld will do it. I had Hart do it as well as flute it on one of their barrels.

Jim was the barrel you had PacNor do one of their own or would they do another makers barrel?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To answer both questions.

kk, yes, that one you bought started as a #3 and they turned it down to a #2.

That and this last one were both Pac-Nor barrels. I do not know if they would turn someone else's barrels but they are always available to chat with and very friendly.

(541) 469-7330

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jkob

May I assume that this is the barrel that I had to replace because you didn't like the contour of the last one and I had to replace it with a different contour that you specified that was different than the original one you specified and I had to do the whole job and did not charge you for it? I still have your old barrel, want to buy it back?

Jim

HMMM! funny thing, no response yet!!!

Jim

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm 4 betting that he pm'd you... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Huntr
I had a Krieger barrel pulled off of a custom Model 70 and turned down to Win. fwt. contour. Shoots just as good as before.

Yup! Kreigers turn down good if done correctly.M70 pre 64's do also.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greydog has done several for me, some as part of the original barrel work, a couple he had to pull the barrel and turn down for me as the rifles were too muzzle heavy. All have shot as well after the weight loss as before.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Dayton Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been out of town since early Friday on a fishing trip to Leech Lake. Jim, you know where that is! I went up for Muskie opener and actually had some luck. It is the same barrel you replaced my old one with and you have a PM. I'm opting for a lightweight blueprint on this rifle now. On another note, why is Krieger so conservative on their SS barrels? This barrel is roughly a large #5 or close to a #6. A #5 is the smallest Krieger will do in this caliber in SS. They use the same steel, 416r as Pac Nor or Lilja of which they will do contours as small as #2,#3 in SS. They all obviously have a different manufacturing process. But is that enough to make up the difference in policy? Krieger won't even recommend turning down one of their #5 SS to even say for example a #4. When Krieger used 410 SS a few years back they would do the smaller contours like all the other manufacturers. Now they're using the same steel but won't. What is the deal with that? Does anyone see an issue with having someone else turn down a SS Krieger to #3 or #4?

Last edited by Oaktona; 06/10/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,477
Posts18,529,614
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.