Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mike LaGrange never shot an elephant with one of todays monolithic solids as far as I know and these new flat nose solids from Bridger, GS Customs and Northfork make all the difference in the world..

Hell you can shoot an elephant up the keyster with the .460 Wby an one of these great bullets in the Selous,a and knock over two street stands in Dar es Salaam and stack up 10 street people in Harare and two more in Cape Town, as the bullet whizes off over the Indian ocean looking for shark or two, now that is penetration..

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is BECAUSE bullets back then were not up to velocities achieved by the 460 if you read my first post and others here. That book is pretty dated. With today's premiums, there's just not anything out there that will beat a 460 in penetration. At least in my opinion anyway. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The .460 Weatherby is a killing sob. I'd like one more round magazine capacity, but maybe that's just me.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've toyed with the idea of converting an M17 to 460Wby or 378Wby. Regarding the 460Wby, my only concern is that in my experience recoil increases exponentially once 2200fps is passed. That leads to the need for either a muzzle break or additional weight ... neither of which is desired in a rifle built to be carried lots. So ... if it's going to be that heavy and kick that hard, might as well neck up to 50cal!
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 06/14/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson
It has a bad rap only in that recoil is horrible...

I have seen a lot of Buff shot with it and its a killing sob for sure,

If one can handle the recoil then use monolithic or solid flat nose or cup point Northfork bullets and you could not be better armed for DG...

The only .460 I ever shot hammered me! Don't make the mistake of firing it prone with a muzzle break, as several bad things happen.

1.) When you fire a major big bore standing, your body will move with the recoil. When prone you get a straight line punch to the shoulder that is anchored in place. Ouch!

2.) The muzzle break kicks up a cloud of dust and obscures the target until it settles.

3.) The prone shooting position will sometime require the shooter to be so positioned that the ear muffs rest on the stock, and might lift the hearing protection off of the ear enough to limit their effectiveness. That makes it one LOUD sob too.

With solids or the TSX, I'm sure the .460 will whoop azz on anything and everything short of a Stegosaurus, but it's not for me.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
The .460 Weatherby is a killing sob. I'd like one more round magazine capacity, but maybe that's just me.

Good Point:

This is why Weatherby offers an aftermarket drop magazine that holds 3. Additionally, because the Mark V action is a dreaded and detested push feed action, you can slip a 4th round in the chamber when firm negotiations must end in your favor.

I have tested this magazine with a wide range of bullet shapes and it has never failed to feed reliably. It has made me regret parting with some previous Mark V conversions in my past.

JW

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You can learn something everyday if you hang around the right people. smile

Thanks for the information, AGW.

BTW Hatari, pal, the idea of shooting a .460 prone is an idea that never occurred to me. I feel your pain. grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's just say I was a younger man then, and didn't think the scenario through. Shooting it at a seated bench was also not a stellar idea.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hatari,
I also fired a 375 H&H from prone position amongst pine needles and the blast from the muzzle break obliterated my taget with dirt and flying pine needles, even a couple of pine cones, and when I stood up, stunned by the way, my two partners were in near hysterics, saying I looked like a porcupine...I was wearing one of those web type baseball caps on and the holes were full of pine needles. I have never shot a braked rifle from the prone position since that day.:)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.