Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 118 of 173 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 172 173
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
When I did feel the presence of a scope near my eyebrow was with my very first rifle, a 30-06, with the scope mounted by a "pro".

Guess where it was mounted?

Just a WAG...UYA? Couldn't resist that curve ball that didn't curve...

HR IC

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Brad
Interesting. Other people assuming what works for someone else can't be right if it doesn't work for them.

The world (internet) is so full of dumbazzes as to be amazing...

And, JO takes the cake for the above, in a fashion only dreamed of by most.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can only say that if my scopes where mounted the way Jeff has his I would have been bit more than I have. Yes, I been "touched" a couple times. With Jeff's set up I would just plan on getting bit when shooting from some odd angle. Either that or accept the infamous ghost ring.

What must be odd with me is that no matter what the power on my Leupold 2.5-8x as I mount the gun I automatically adjust without thinking and end up with a full view thru the scope. Seems nobody else has mentioned that. I know my check must not have the holy grail of check weld that Jeff places so much importance on, but not sure it's that important when I'm essentially trying to hit "someplace" close to the center of a 10in circle.

Jeff, it works for you because your stance is not normal and as someone else has said is not conducive to good field shooting. You seem to shoot more than most and according to you have reached a more than acceptable level of accomplishment.

Start from the ground up with a better foundation and after a period of adjustment you probably will be better than previously. Most times in sports, improvement means being willing to move out of your comfort zone in order to elevate your performance. Think Tiger Woods and what he did to get better. Just a suggestion. Do with it what you want.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
battue,

That's what I'm trying to honestly understand. Even if you are not using a scope, the position of your cheek has got change on a stock simply by switching positions.

If somebody can keep their grape that far back on a stock in all shooting positions I would say that is an extreme rarity.

Travis

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by deflave
battue,

That's what I'm trying to honestly understand. Even if you are not using a scope, the position of your cheek has got change on a stock simply by switching positions.

If somebody can keep their grape that far back on a stock in all shooting positions I would say that is an extreme rarity.

Travis

The stick up the azz, would likely explain much.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My best friend of over 25 years played (started) for the University Of Missouri as Nose Guard. He was the smallest Nose Guard in the Big Twelve, but no one could match him for sheer determination and ability (which is why he was a starter).

Anyway, he's got an enormous chest, which he partly inherited through a genetic quirk, but also acquired in the gym. Even at age 50 he still benches well in excess of 300 lbs on a weekly basis. In his prime he could bench over 500 lbs.

About ten years ago he got an itch for a Marlin 45-70. He located one and put a Leupold 2-7 on top. He'd sit at the bench and shoot tiny groups with it in his t-shirt (along with his "lightweight" 7.5lb fiberglass stocked P17 in 416 WBY which he'd shoot til he was black and blue, amassing a batch of targets in the .5" range).

Personally, I'd never touch his rifles because all his scopes were set too far back for me. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs soaking wet. I'd get scoped in a nano-second if I messed with his rifles.

Regardless, one friend decided he just had to shoot the 45-70 with the 2-7 Leupold. My friend warned him politely that the scope was set too far back for most people. The other guy wouldn't listen. Too bad for him! He settled in and touched her off... WHACK! I'll never forget the scene or the sound... fella had blood running down his face. Not only did he have a wicked gash above his eye, he'd broken his nose badly. My friend adjusted" his nose back in place, and that was that. Lesson learned.

Point is, we're all built differently and handle and shoot rifles differently. I'm a "scope "crawler." Other aren't. Some have big chests... others not so much.

The idea that there's a "correct" way to mount a scope is so absurd as to be laughable and only an imbecile would suggest otherwise.

Jeff's scope wouldn't work for me, but then I'm not Jeff...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Travis

I shoot more shotgun than rifle, and with a normal stock with drop when you shoot at a target below horizontal your face moves forward and when you shoot above horizontal your face moves back on the stock. It's slight, however the principle is the same, just the way the body functions. Your correct your face position changes unless you shoot with some type of abnormal rigid immobility.

Last edited by battue; 06/04/09.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The idea that there's a "correct" way to mount a scope is so absurd as to be laughable and only an imbecile would suggest otherwise.

And to think that there is NOT an incorrect way is what....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue

And to think that there is NOT an incorrect way is what....

We're talking less than an inch or so one way or the other in scope mounting, yet various mens chests can vary well over 15", one guy to another.

Perhaps you're in the "imbecile" category?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe.

Battue, that we can all be an idiot on any given day is self apparent.

What's also self-apparent is the "group think" on this internet site is beyond amazing. There are a few gang leaders that set the bar low and charge forth. Internet warriors.

I think Jeff would do well to sit on his hands and type less (and have told him so), but lets face it... Jeff's a decent bloke, while most of his detractors are mean-spirited dumb-[bleep] of the highest order.

That's also apparent to anyone with a shred of decency...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Back. Had to do a little research.

The largest men's chest size I could find listed was a 4xL at 60in.
Don't think that applies to Jeff.

Now the answer is definitely no. You on the other hand......

Addition: Saw your addition so I apologize.

Yes, I agree Jeff is a decent sort. Bullheaded as hell but I hope he means well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Brad,

I'm not asking about the scope mounting. I'm asking about the idea that one never changes the position of his face on the stock.

I've never heard of that. And I'm curious how one accomplishes it.

Travis

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Back. Had to do a little research.

The largest men's chest size I could find listed was a 4xL at 60in.
Don't think that applies to Jeff.

Now the answer is definitely no. You on the other hand......

Hahahaha

Well played battue.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe.

Battue, that we can all be an idiot on any given day is self apparent.

What's also self-apparent is the "group think" on this internet site is beyond amazing. There are a few gang leaders that set the bar low and charge forth. Internet warriors.

I think Jeff would do well to sit on his hands and type less (and have told him so), but lets face it... Jeff's a decent bloke, while most of his detractors are mean-spirited dumb-[bleep] of the highest order.

That's also apparent to anyone with a shred of decency...

It does get ugly where Jeff is concerned.
I don't agree with some of his views, but that is no reason to act hateful towards the guy.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah! Don't act hateful to the guy! Oh wait... That's me...

Guys... Of course my face moves around on the stock. It has to. I have to think I'm consistantly back from most of you guys however.

What I don't do, and what I mean by consistant cheek weld, is I don't chase the image forward as the eye relief decreases with magnification. Make sense? I'd rather accept the "black" and maintain a consistant position- to the extent possible.

I should have known better than to post the pic of me shouldering that rifle. Tom264 asked (then vanished). I put it up in good faith, and I was in a hurry. I'm right in the sweet spot of that scope; I can slide forward a bit as needed, and I'm sure I do just that depending... At any rate, I gave my enemies a target, grist for the mill.

How about this. Any further critique of my shooting posture, shall include a picture of YOU in your shooting position. That's fair, yes? Those if you being buttholes about this are obviously so confidant in your right-ness that you'll have no problem doing as I've done, and put it out there for a public critique. :-)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I may be an azzhole, but I'm still just asking an honest question.

Why would you not move your face to adjust for magnification; when many shooters must move their face to adjust to different shooting positions?

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, dumbasses defending a scope mounted such that it could cause a real problem to anyone that could possibly leave a road...

Are you weighing in in favor of such mounting???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Travis, apparantly they are doing both? And no, I don't think you've been an a-hole. Sorry if it seemed like I meant you.

Guys- the m7 LSS stock doesn't have a cheekpiece. On my rifles that do, I'm squarely in the fat part of it with my scope placement. FWIW.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Battue, a 60" chest is big, no doubt. My bud's that I describe above is well into the 52" + range. Mine is around 40"+... there are more than a few guys that have chest in the 36-38" range. Point is, that's a possible 24" difference in men's chest sizes. That's not taking neck and arm differences or further taking shooting styles into account (crawlers vs. non-crawlers), which introduces another "lot" of inches into the equation.

So yeah, it's not a very intelligent thing to question how one guy mounts a scope.

Group-think is a [bleep].

Page 118 of 173 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.