Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jlovell Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I apologize if there are a ton of these questions, I did a forum search and was not able to find anything significant

I am interested in buying my first rifle. So far when I go shooting I just use my Dad's .22 Ruger.

It will be used for both hunting and target shooting. As for the game, I plan on hunting white tail deer in Maine. Eventually I would like to go moose or black bear hunting but that is going to be a little ways down the road.

I have been looking at getting something in the .270, 30-30, or 30-06 round.

Right now I am leaning more towards the 30-30 and thinking of getting either a Winchester model 94 or a Marlin 336. They are cheaper than the 06 and also do not have the same kick.

I'm aware that this may not be sufficient for moose or black bear and it will limit me on the distance I will be able to shoot deer from also, that is okay because I'm just starting out and it will give me an excuse to buy another rifle a few years down the road.

My knowledge on guns is fairly limited so any information would be greatly appreciated. I am also not set on only these 3 rounds, they just seem to be the most popular I have seen.

Any suggestions for both rounds and type of gun would be great.

jlovell

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"It will be used for both hunting and target shooting. As for the game, I plan on hunting white tail deer in Maine. Eventually I would like to go moose or black bear hunting but that is going to be a little ways down the road."

30-06 if moose and black bear are in the equation.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
06 offers more versitillity

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the .30-06, but the .30-30 Marlin is plenty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g4xILwfY60

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you are talking any kind of serious taraget shooting, the lever action won't generally give you the accuracy of a bolt gun. You should be able to find a used .30-06 at a gunstore, pawn shop, or gun show for a very reasonable price. That would be a good way to go IMO.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...Another option, following your leaning toward the lever guns, would be a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, for a little more wallop when moose time comes around.... With the Hornady lever evolution ammo the old 35 picks up some range, and energy at range, when compared to the older flat nosed stuff.Buffalo Bore offers some heavier loads with a 220 grain bullet at 2200fps, which could paralyze some really big nasties.The old gal ain't made to dance at 300 yards, but inside a couple hundred she's up to most any hoe down!

....Remington cobbles up the super fast and accurate "Game Master" pump guns in the 35 Remington too. Just in case it'd tickle your fancy.Of course you won't find them as inexpensive as a Marlin lever gun.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
you can probably find a good, used rem model 700 in 30-06 (or 308 win) at any number of pawn shops in your area. and all the gun stores will have new, inexpensive ones by savage, weatherby (vanguard), marlin, and a few more. get either and you will have a rifle suitable for hunting (anything in maine) and target shooting. good luck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would get a 270 or an '06.
Remington M700's are tough to beat for the money. There's positive reports on the new Winchester M70's but they are going to cost more than a basic M700.

If recoil bothered you a guy could always try some of those reduced factory loads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at the .308 Win. It is a world-class target round and basically the equal of the .30-06 on game. It kicks a tiny bit less, too.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
In the short term, a Marlin 30-30 or .35 Rem would be most economical ... both practical and a handy package. 30-30 ammo is cheaper than .35 Rem but the .35 Rem has more terminal thump without too much recoil. I have one and love it.

You didn't mention it, but what about a .308? Kick is milder for lower weight bullets than the 06 and with little ballistic sacrifice.

Having said all that, it's hard to fault your stated logic buying a levergun to start, and then later add to the arsenal when you're ready. I think that is your best option, especially if funds are an issue. I think it is the rare guy that doesn't later want to add another rifle anyways.

Let us know what you finally do and welcome to the fire!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another one you might consider is the 7mm-08 - it is more than sufficient for whitetails and black bears and easier on the shoulder than the '06.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
go visit some nearby gun clubs and find out what kind of formal target shooting they participate in. Most member-run clubs have numerous formal shooting divisions with shoots and matches every week.

Formal shooting and hunting are as different from each other as playing ball is different from fishing, and the various shooting sports are as different from each other as the ball sports are different from each other. Smallbore rifle is as different from action pistol as golf is different from basketball.

a gun well suited for hunting is usually not well suited for formal shooting.... (with some exceptions like rifle silhouette)

so, see what's out there and get the guns you need for the sports you want to participate in. Look at it this way, you have an excuse to buy LOTS of new guns smile

hunting rifle.... I usually recommend an american made (Rem, Win, Ruger, Savage) .30-06, with a .308 or .270 as the close second choices.

shoot good

Poole

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
First and foremost; welcome to the fire sir!

As far as you dilemma, I'd opt for a Ruger in .270. Although a Remington 700 could probably be found for less money and is an excellent choice.

.270's just kick less in my opinion and for your first centerfire I think that's important.

Now lets talk glass.... grin

Travis

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Marlin makes the 336 in their new 338 Marlin Express. It should do nicely on moose as well as deer and black bear.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was in the same position as you, leaning toward a lever 30-30. Talked out of it by a saavy gunsmith friend, who sold me a 30-06 (with Dad's approval, of course). That was extremely wise advice.

That was 40 years ago. Still have the rifle, still a great choice...that Springfield sporter will stay in the family.

Recommend you be patient, get a good used 30-06 - Ruger, Remington, Winchester and many others are good. Get a good used 4x Leupold scope on Ebay or in a pawn shop. Find somebody you trust to teach you to handload.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Find a used 270, 308 or 30-06 that fits you right and you'll be fine. Any of those rounds will do what your asking.

Those would be my choices. I'd pass on the 30-30 in your situation.

You said you'd be hunting in Maine. Not sure if you're local or not, but check out the Kittery Trading Post used gun website. You may find something that interests you. www.ktpguns.com

Good luck in your search & decision.

Mike

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
308 Winchester or 30-06 Springfield.

Flip a coin. I personally don't care for 06's but I cannot deny the incredible success of this respectable round. I much prefer 308's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I would recommend that you do start with the lever gun in 30.30 Win. or .35 Rem or maybe one of the new Marlin Express chamberings. They are great guns to learn on, they carry great and they are a blast to shoot. Sure, move up to more power at some point. You will always have the lever gun as a back up and I bet you find that you like shooting and carrying it better as well.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jlovell
I'm aware that this may not be sufficient for moose or black bear and it will limit me on the distance I will be able to shoot deer from also, that is okay because I'm just starting out and it will give me an excuse to buy another rifle a few years down the road.

A few Points:

1-The 30-06 is never a mistake.

2-The 30-30 is never a mistake as a "step up" from a 22 LR.

3-Your post shows that you might be new, but you ain't dumb. Go with what feels right to you.

The 30-30 is a great round for deer and a black bear. Its recoil is mild.

Ammunition is (generally) cheaper than 30-06 ammo.

And practice counts for more than raw power does.

I advise the Marlin 336, its a classic that allows easy scope mounting.

You can always borrow a gun for a Moose hunt. Or Just shoot the 170 grain 30-30 bullet. Moose are (generally) not not shot at long range. Besides, shot placement will matter more than anything else.

Good luck,

Feel free to PM me with questions.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 06/06/09.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh yeah, a Savage 99 in 300 savage would be ideal, also.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 29 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.