-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually Whitworth, the 40 is everything the 10 wanted to be...successful. Try finding 10 ammo if the SHTF.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had several G20's, a G29, and a SW610. The 10mm is by far my fav handgun round. I swapped the G29 for a G27 for carry. The 40 is a good round and the frame is smaller than the 29 to make a difference for me in carry. I do like the 10mm....

The concern about finding ammo might be somewhat misplaced..... I can't find 40 S&W ammo right now, but a local gun shop has a lot of 10mm ammo.

JCM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think it is misplaced. It's all about what you want to do. I've been consolidating my guns into less calibers and more popular calibers. You are absolutely correct about finding ammo. The problem with finding 10mm ammo is that in normal times, finding ammo is on a different level than finding it for the 40. Other than ammo availability, diversity of platforms and the ability to fit into a 9mm size weapon, the .40 is inferior in every way to the 10. Still, in normal times, all Wal Mart's carry .40 S&W and none (around here anyway) carry the 10. In today's times, the .40 is indeed hard to come by. The problem is, most gunshops charge full retail and a lot of them are charging significantly over that right now. Wal Mart and a few others are still charging pre-Obama prices. The 40 is in short supply due to its very popularity. The 10 is on the shelves because few shoot it in the first place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Actually Whitworth, the 40 is everything the 10 wanted to be...successful. Try finding 10 ammo if the SHTF.

Yup, it wasn't embraced by the public like the .40 was. You can load a 10mm down to .40 but you can't go the other way. It's unfortunate that the 10mm wasn't accepted in the way its little brother was, but there is no way of predicting how the fickle public will take to a cartridge. I would still take a 10mm over the .40 irrespective of ammo availability at my local gun shop.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a G20 a couple years ago and just got my G29 yesterday so yeah, I like 10's. The versatility is the beauty of it.

10mm is a strong round as mentioned. No need to elaborate.

Added .40 conversion barrel and now can shoot/load that caliber for much less, all with the same trigger/grip/sights/etc. (will be getting one for the G29 as well)

Added Advantage Arms .22 conversion upper and can now shoot .22 rimfire through the G20 for as cheap as shooting with powder is going to get.

I LOVE my 10's.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i've owned both the 10 and the 40 i still have the 10mm the 40 didn't make it for me.I have the s&w 1006 which is a great very accurate gun.I'm not a big clock fan they are fugly to me but surprisingly more comfortable then expected and very accurate robust guns

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Out of the half-dozen or so 10's I have owned the Smith 1006 was my favorite.

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I know that finding ammo is a bit tight right at the moment but I figure in a month or two things will relaxe a bit more as far as finding ammo and rifles or handguns. The .380 auto ammo was NO Where in sight but it too has become available and no shortages around my area. It seems like everybody and his brother are buying up those little "roach killers" in .380 auto!

We just got rid of the Ruger LCP tonight for a Kel-Teck 11 in 9mm caliber. the wife likes it and it is twice the horse power
Amen! We have both shot this little pistol at the range 2 weeks ago. It did just fine in her hands, finally located one this afternoon.

I can't wait to pull the trigger on the 10mm GLOCK! I can see now that there will be another one hanging beside it very soon. I will purchase a couple of extended magazines to help with the little finger on grip.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is darn near the perfect round for the single stack 1911. It's easy with either handloads or Cor-Bon factory ammo to hit 1300 fps with 155's, which is bettr than some .357 mags do today. Chip McCormick makes some excellent 9 rd mags, so basically it turns your 1911 into a 10 shot .357 magnum.

I put a Bar-sto 10mm barrel in my old Delta, and it is a tack driver, and very reliable, too.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 06/03/09.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
JOG....First off the point I was trying to make was with my wife ok. She knows very little about handguns or ballistics of handgun calibers and what is what with what.

Now the wet paper test was to show her that penetration is important in a CCW pistol and what kind of penetration can you expect etc. She looked on the internet and found all this information on penetration of the .380-auto and other calibers that had been shot into Geletin Blocks. Some of those findings stated 15, 16 and 17 inches of penetration using Cor-Bon bullets.

Well, my tests showed the real penetration of such bullets and it sure as hell is not 17 inches or even 10 inches ok. If I wanted to really penetrate newspaper I would have used FMJ bullets. I didn't get off the boat yesterday, maybe last month.
Also bullets that penetrated furthest in those Geletin black tests were Cor-Bon. They also had the .380-auto penetrating 9 inches of Geletin! Must have be awful soft material.

JOG....You don't need but to get the bullet past the vitals in the torso of a human and that takes penetration to a deepth of at least 9 inches. Yes, it must also mushroom and stay together, without fragging apart 1/3rd the way into the body cavity.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm a big fan of 10mm as well. Got my first, a Colt Delta, in 1988. Sold it some time later, now have a Kimber. I like the Kimber better than the Colt, FWIW.

The cartridge is incredible, best package around. Handloading is a must. I like about any good 180 gr bullet, std primer, stout load of 2400.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a G20SF:
[Linked Image]
This is a great shooting pistol. Its even better now as I purchased a Storm Lake stainless drop-in barrel for it (has standard cut rifling) and it can now handle hard cast bullets.

This caliber is somewhat more than a .357 Magnum and somewhat less than the .41 Mag. It is a viable whitetail caliber and a very good choice for bear protection with a good balance of power and capacity IMHO.

As said, you almost have to handload to get the most out of this cartridge but there are stout factory loads available for a price...

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Round for round, I'd take a .357 Mag. over a 10mm any day of the week.

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cole now why would you do that per say? The .357mag revolver is a 6 shot at best! Now don't get me wrong, I really liked the .357mag back when I owned a Colt Python I fired some of my best groups with that Colt.

However, for the sake of a fire-fight or just plan self-defense, a double stacked 10mm auto is no pop gun and I am damn sure if the Younger brothers and the James Boys could post here, they would give their Sunday go to meeting boots for a couple of them in their time. Thanks fella's for all your reply's!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too am a big fan of the .357 from way back, but give me diameter. I'll take the 10mm.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whitworth-1, I have always admired the .357 mag, ever since I purchase my Colt Python back in the 60's, I had a Diamond Back .38Spl too but the wife took a shine to that one.

Now from strictly a defense standpoint and covering all the bases, I think a 10mm auto with double stacked mags is a big plus. It is really hard to foresee the future and weather the criminal that wants your money, car or house belongs is going to be 5'2" inches 130 pounds or 6'8" inches and 325 pounds. Will the guy have a T-Shirt or wearing a vest with leather over the top?

Bottom line, is you need to get there the quickest with the mostest and a 10mm will certainly do that in spades. I really appreciate the way this sub-compact Glock 29 shoots on targets. I figured 3 inch groups at 20 feet and I would be happy! However, it is much more accurate than my perdictions and I am glad.

Last edited by Tonk; 06/06/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not speaking of the platform Tonk, but the cartridge itself. I've never measured the capacity of the two, something I may have to do tonight, but my guess is the 357 holds more powder. More powder equals more power, unless some weird variables come into play.

A ten or more shot 10mm may indeed trump a six-shot .357 when the gun itself is factored in. I believe the .357 is a better cartridge overall than the 10. The 10 is a heckuva auto cartridge. It is what it is though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only 10's that hold any interest for me are the Colt Delta Elite & the Bren Ten ( or the Vltor copy if ever released).

A little more powerful than a 45, but practically, not enough to make a real difference, IMO.

JMHO

MM

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cole......I used to carry a .357 Colt Python back in my youthful days in collections etc. The ammo back then was Super-Vel and it was Hot Stuff.

Nowdays, with a Glock 10mm and double stacked mag and a hitch hiker Sig P-226 carrying 14 rds, it makes things a lot softer come the big bang in the alley.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think the .357 holds more powder than a 10mm. The 10 has a significantly larger diameter bullet than the little .357 and the ability to throw a heavier bullet at reasonable speeds. I would suggest taking a closer look at the 10mm before dismissing it in favor of your favorite round. I too have owned all manner of .357 and carried them over the years, but again, diameter is very important to creating a large wound channel. Bigger is better (this is why so many departments are carrying .40 Smiths over 9mms today) -- as long as you are able to shoot it effectively. This is why I am such a big fan of the .45.......JMHO.

Last edited by Whitworth1; 06/07/09.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, 673, 7mm_Loco, 15 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,870
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.