Home
Posted By: Tonk Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/03/09
I would like those who have experience with the 10mm caliber to give a little information on what are their thoughts about this caliber in a handgun. I am seriously thinking about he purchase of a GLOCK model 29 with double stack magazine. I know there is not a lot of demand for the caliber but nonetheless I would like to hear opinions and experiences please.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/03/09
1st class!
I have a Glock in 10mm. The 10mm with 180gr horn is a very powerful handgun. Handloaded to its potential it is very close to the 41 mag. It is clearly capeable for deer and beyond. Most commercial ammo is not loaded to potential. The 10mm is one of the most powerful handgun rounds in a semi auto. The 10mm is indeed first class and one of the better handgun rounds available.
I have been toying with the idea of having a pistol in 10mm for a bit now. It is good to hear what others think of it, I always thought it looked good on paper.
Posted By: Sinman6 Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/03/09
buy one if you can i am sure trying too.
this is what you need http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130326796
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/03/09
SinMan-6.....My wife purchased me a GLOCK model 29 today, a late birthday present I guess. It sure is nice to be loved fella's!

I have been kicking this idea around some and after running wet newspaper tests on the 40 S&W and 45acp, I was a little disappointed in what I discovered over the weekend. We used Cor-Bon ammo too. The target of bundled newspaper was soaked 36-hours prior to test. I was expecting at least 9 inches of penetration with the 40S&W (140 grn Dxp Cor-Bon) and 45acp with 200grn Cor-Bon in Barnes DXP bullet. Great wound channels and mushrooming effects bot NOT enough penetration to suit me.

I saw geletin tests that stated they got 15 and 17 inches of penetrationi with Cor-Bon ammo....Must have been some damn soupy geletin or JELLO!!!

I only got 6.85 inches with the 40 S&W caliber 140grn bullet and 6.5 inches with the 45acp using 200 grn Cor-Bon. I will run these tests again but must get my hands on some 10mm Cor-Bon ammo to compare apples to apples. I will also includ my Smith & Wesson 44 mag this time around.......Thanks for the replies and information!
NICE! I have always liked a 10mm 1911. I would love to get one but I keep looking at the Tanfoglio Witness Elite series, the Match or Stock 2. They have good reviews from what I have read but I have not talked to anyone with personal experience yet. I would still love to have a nice 1911 someday.
Good cartridge. More power than is necessary for self defense but puts magnum revolver power in an autoloader.
very nice, try some 185gr 45acp ammo for your test too.
Metsamies......I will have a great Kimber Carry gun in stainless for sale very soon. This pistol was a "safe gun" during it's stay with us. I just may have had 250 rounds put down the barrel. I also have 2 other Kimbers pistols, 5 Sigs and several revolvers in the collection just to name a few. Also my first GLOCK in model 29!

If your interested do check out the Trading Post in the near future at 24HOUR OK.
will do thanks for the heads up.
Sinman-6...I tried those 185 grain bullets in FMJ and also the 200 grain FMJ in 45acp. The 200's out penetrated the 185's in the plywood test I did sometime back.

I have NOT seen any Cor-Bon ammo in the 185 grain bullet weight in my area to purchase. Now at $32 dollars a box of 20, I don't want to have something laying around I am not going to use in the pistol for Self Defense ok.

I choose the 200 grain 45acp weight because it gives the best of two routes in penetration and velocity for the sake of shooting trajectory. The 230 FMJ are what several of the Old Timers are saying is the best but tests have proved otherwise. Velocity is at least a 100fps slower.
i know only 185gr will have the muzzle energy required to shoot a deer in SD with a 45acp
Posted By: slow Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/03/09
i have a eaa witness p full size, and for the money has to be one of the best deals out there. i reload so it does not cost much more to shoot than any other cal. as for 10mm how does 220gr 1250fps sound in a 29 oz gun. recoil is stout but can be controlled with a little practace.if you do not plan on handloading and want full power 10mm look at double tap ammo.
The 10 is quite simply the best, most useful true auto pistol cartridge in a reasonable-sized package, that we have had in my lifetime. I've owned at least a half-dozen examples over the years. I currently don't have one because it is a dead duck and there are other fine cartridges that are better choices.

For strictly performance purposes, I don't think you can beat the 10. The problem is availability. The 45 Auto +P is almost equivalent as far as shooting critters. The 40 S&W and 45 Auto are both roughly equivalent in one-shot manstopping. The 9 is not far off. All three of the latter cartridges are available in more concealable packages. All three are more popular and are available at any Wal Mart near me. So there are cartridges that are cheaper and more readily available in a wider variety of delivery systems than the 10. That's why I don't have one anymore.
Let's face it, the 10mm is everything the .40 S&W isn't. You can load it with heavy bullets and still get reasonable velocity. Double Tap Ammo (www.doubletapammo.com) has the widest selection of 10mm loads available from mild to wild.
Whitworth-1......Now as soon as I can find ammo for this GLOCK 10mm, I will then compare it to the 40S&W as well as the 45acp. Thanks for the come back!
Posted By: JOG Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/03/09
Tonk,

I don't get why you're disappointed that bullets designed not to penetrate don't penetrate very well.
I've got a Glock 29, and I consider it to be the very best all purpose handgun made, in my limited experience. It's just so dang versatile. Perfect for me as a hiking/outdoors gun, as I can carry a ton of power in a small package. Recoil is not bad at all. I shoot it very well. This little 29 is one of the main reasons I just pawned off my Kimber Ultra Carry. The Kimber wasn't reliable, and I knew I could count on the glock.

Get the mag extenders and it holds like a medium frame pistol. I was expecting the little 10 to have much more recoil than it does. It is not bad at all. I actually preferred the feel of the 10 to my Kimber.

As an added bonus, you can change the gun to a .40 or a .357 sig simply by swapping out the barrel. I don't know what else you could want in a back country gun. It's ideal. It has also become my CCW.

Get your ammo from doubletap. It's great stuff.
Mine looks like this:
[Linked Image]
Actually Whitworth, the 40 is everything the 10 wanted to be...successful. Try finding 10 ammo if the SHTF.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/03/09
I've had several G20's, a G29, and a SW610. The 10mm is by far my fav handgun round. I swapped the G29 for a G27 for carry. The 40 is a good round and the frame is smaller than the 29 to make a difference for me in carry. I do like the 10mm....

The concern about finding ammo might be somewhat misplaced..... I can't find 40 S&W ammo right now, but a local gun shop has a lot of 10mm ammo.

JCM
I don't think it is misplaced. It's all about what you want to do. I've been consolidating my guns into less calibers and more popular calibers. You are absolutely correct about finding ammo. The problem with finding 10mm ammo is that in normal times, finding ammo is on a different level than finding it for the 40. Other than ammo availability, diversity of platforms and the ability to fit into a 9mm size weapon, the .40 is inferior in every way to the 10. Still, in normal times, all Wal Mart's carry .40 S&W and none (around here anyway) carry the 10. In today's times, the .40 is indeed hard to come by. The problem is, most gunshops charge full retail and a lot of them are charging significantly over that right now. Wal Mart and a few others are still charging pre-Obama prices. The 40 is in short supply due to its very popularity. The 10 is on the shelves because few shoot it in the first place.
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Actually Whitworth, the 40 is everything the 10 wanted to be...successful. Try finding 10 ammo if the SHTF.

Yup, it wasn't embraced by the public like the .40 was. You can load a 10mm down to .40 but you can't go the other way. It's unfortunate that the 10mm wasn't accepted in the way its little brother was, but there is no way of predicting how the fickle public will take to a cartridge. I would still take a 10mm over the .40 irrespective of ammo availability at my local gun shop.
I bought a G20 a couple years ago and just got my G29 yesterday so yeah, I like 10's. The versatility is the beauty of it.

10mm is a strong round as mentioned. No need to elaborate.

Added .40 conversion barrel and now can shoot/load that caliber for much less, all with the same trigger/grip/sights/etc. (will be getting one for the G29 as well)

Added Advantage Arms .22 conversion upper and can now shoot .22 rimfire through the G20 for as cheap as shooting with powder is going to get.

I LOVE my 10's.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/04/09
i've owned both the 10 and the 40 i still have the 10mm the 40 didn't make it for me.I have the s&w 1006 which is a great very accurate gun.I'm not a big clock fan they are fugly to me but surprisingly more comfortable then expected and very accurate robust guns
Out of the half-dozen or so 10's I have owned the Smith 1006 was my favorite.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/04/09
Well, I know that finding ammo is a bit tight right at the moment but I figure in a month or two things will relaxe a bit more as far as finding ammo and rifles or handguns. The .380 auto ammo was NO Where in sight but it too has become available and no shortages around my area. It seems like everybody and his brother are buying up those little "roach killers" in .380 auto!

We just got rid of the Ruger LCP tonight for a Kel-Teck 11 in 9mm caliber. the wife likes it and it is twice the horse power
Amen! We have both shot this little pistol at the range 2 weeks ago. It did just fine in her hands, finally located one this afternoon.

I can't wait to pull the trigger on the 10mm GLOCK! I can see now that there will be another one hanging beside it very soon. I will purchase a couple of extended magazines to help with the little finger on grip.

It is darn near the perfect round for the single stack 1911. It's easy with either handloads or Cor-Bon factory ammo to hit 1300 fps with 155's, which is bettr than some .357 mags do today. Chip McCormick makes some excellent 9 rd mags, so basically it turns your 1911 into a 10 shot .357 magnum.

I put a Bar-sto 10mm barrel in my old Delta, and it is a tack driver, and very reliable, too.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/04/09
JOG....First off the point I was trying to make was with my wife ok. She knows very little about handguns or ballistics of handgun calibers and what is what with what.

Now the wet paper test was to show her that penetration is important in a CCW pistol and what kind of penetration can you expect etc. She looked on the internet and found all this information on penetration of the .380-auto and other calibers that had been shot into Geletin Blocks. Some of those findings stated 15, 16 and 17 inches of penetration using Cor-Bon bullets.

Well, my tests showed the real penetration of such bullets and it sure as hell is not 17 inches or even 10 inches ok. If I wanted to really penetrate newspaper I would have used FMJ bullets. I didn't get off the boat yesterday, maybe last month.
Also bullets that penetrated furthest in those Geletin black tests were Cor-Bon. They also had the .380-auto penetrating 9 inches of Geletin! Must have be awful soft material.

JOG....You don't need but to get the bullet past the vitals in the torso of a human and that takes penetration to a deepth of at least 9 inches. Yes, it must also mushroom and stay together, without fragging apart 1/3rd the way into the body cavity.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/05/09
I'm a big fan of 10mm as well. Got my first, a Colt Delta, in 1988. Sold it some time later, now have a Kimber. I like the Kimber better than the Colt, FWIW.

The cartridge is incredible, best package around. Handloading is a must. I like about any good 180 gr bullet, std primer, stout load of 2400.
Posted By: OSOK Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/05/09
I have a G20SF:
[Linked Image]
This is a great shooting pistol. Its even better now as I purchased a Storm Lake stainless drop-in barrel for it (has standard cut rifling) and it can now handle hard cast bullets.

This caliber is somewhat more than a .357 Magnum and somewhat less than the .41 Mag. It is a viable whitetail caliber and a very good choice for bear protection with a good balance of power and capacity IMHO.

As said, you almost have to handload to get the most out of this cartridge but there are stout factory loads available for a price...
Round for round, I'd take a .357 Mag. over a 10mm any day of the week.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/05/09
Cole now why would you do that per say? The .357mag revolver is a 6 shot at best! Now don't get me wrong, I really liked the .357mag back when I owned a Colt Python I fired some of my best groups with that Colt.

However, for the sake of a fire-fight or just plan self-defense, a double stacked 10mm auto is no pop gun and I am damn sure if the Younger brothers and the James Boys could post here, they would give their Sunday go to meeting boots for a couple of them in their time. Thanks fella's for all your reply's!
I too am a big fan of the .357 from way back, but give me diameter. I'll take the 10mm.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/06/09
Whitworth-1, I have always admired the .357 mag, ever since I purchase my Colt Python back in the 60's, I had a Diamond Back .38Spl too but the wife took a shine to that one.

Now from strictly a defense standpoint and covering all the bases, I think a 10mm auto with double stacked mags is a big plus. It is really hard to foresee the future and weather the criminal that wants your money, car or house belongs is going to be 5'2" inches 130 pounds or 6'8" inches and 325 pounds. Will the guy have a T-Shirt or wearing a vest with leather over the top?

Bottom line, is you need to get there the quickest with the mostest and a 10mm will certainly do that in spades. I really appreciate the way this sub-compact Glock 29 shoots on targets. I figured 3 inch groups at 20 feet and I would be happy! However, it is much more accurate than my perdictions and I am glad.
I'm not speaking of the platform Tonk, but the cartridge itself. I've never measured the capacity of the two, something I may have to do tonight, but my guess is the 357 holds more powder. More powder equals more power, unless some weird variables come into play.

A ten or more shot 10mm may indeed trump a six-shot .357 when the gun itself is factored in. I believe the .357 is a better cartridge overall than the 10. The 10 is a heckuva auto cartridge. It is what it is though.
The only 10's that hold any interest for me are the Colt Delta Elite & the Bren Ten ( or the Vltor copy if ever released).

A little more powerful than a 45, but practically, not enough to make a real difference, IMO.

JMHO

MM
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/07/09
Cole......I used to carry a .357 Colt Python back in my youthful days in collections etc. The ammo back then was Super-Vel and it was Hot Stuff.

Nowdays, with a Glock 10mm and double stacked mag and a hitch hiker Sig P-226 carrying 14 rds, it makes things a lot softer come the big bang in the alley.
I don't think the .357 holds more powder than a 10mm. The 10 has a significantly larger diameter bullet than the little .357 and the ability to throw a heavier bullet at reasonable speeds. I would suggest taking a closer look at the 10mm before dismissing it in favor of your favorite round. I too have owned all manner of .357 and carried them over the years, but again, diameter is very important to creating a large wound channel. Bigger is better (this is why so many departments are carrying .40 Smiths over 9mms today) -- as long as you are able to shoot it effectively. This is why I am such a big fan of the .45.......JMHO.
If you'll look at my posts, I didn't say that it held more powder. I'll have to measure the two to know for sure and to do so I'll have to dig up some 10mm cases. The original published data for both cartridges was very optimistic.

I've owned over a half-dozen 10's over the years, shot it quite a bit and reloaded for the cartridge a bit. I don't think that qualifies as a dismissive attitude. The .357 is not my favorite cartridge. I find it kind of humorous that the 10 is touted so highly as a trailgun cartridge, especially where bears may be a concern, yet the .357 is almost universally met with at best a yawn. The platform of the cartridge is what makes the 10 attractive at all in my mind, besting the .357 in firepower, in most instances. It's downfall is simply it's lack of popularity. It will fall out of favor again soon, I would guess, much like the .41 Mag. has went up and down over the years. Many great cartridges. Many less popular ones. I like stuff that is readily available, the older I get. After brief flirtations with the newest big thing, I always find myself coming back to the classics.

The 10 is a great cartridge that never caught on much to the chagrin of those who espoused it. It's descendant, the 40 did, and there are reasons for that even though many can't see them.
Posted By: OSOK Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/07/09
The way I think of the 10mm is that its a top-end .357 Mag that shoots and cyles 100% from a 15+1 capacity Glock.

In a close encounter of the social kind, shot placement is key - and this combination gives you 16 opportunities to place the shot with a very capable round.

What's not to like about that?

No need to choose or compare cartrdiges IMHO.

Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/08/09
OSOK.....I have the GLOCK 29 sub-compact model in the 10mm and come next week I am ordering the full size 10mm and that 15 rd magazine to boot. I like having 2 guns (back up) and both with the same ammo.

I have come full circle over the years and last week was my first "plastic frame pistol"!!! I would have given you odds 20 years ago, I would never have purchased something in a pistol that was not all steel.

The out of the box accuracy is what really blew my mind with this Glock 29 model. Today we were at the shooting range and several people fired this 10mm and were very impressed over the pistols accuracy at 20 yards. I was shown the targets after they shot and even brought a couple home with us. This Glock shot 2.5 inch groups on average by all 3 gents that shot the pistol slow fire 2 handed grip of course. Yes, two of them do shoot competition but still I figure in such a short barreled pistol it did great.
If you'll look at my posts, I didn't say that it held more powder. I'll have to measure the two to know for sure and to do so I'll have to dig up some 10mm cases. The original published data for both cartridges was very optimistic.

I've owned over a half-dozen 10's over the years, shot it quite a bit and reloaded for the cartridge a bit. I don't think that qualifies as a dismissive attitude. The .357 is not my favorite cartridge. I find it kind of humorous that the 10 is touted so highly as a trailgun cartridge, especially where bears may be a concern, yet the .357 is almost universally met with at best a yawn. The platform of the cartridge is what makes the 10 attractive at all in my mind, besting the .357 in firepower, in most instances. It's downfall is simply it's lack of popularity. It will fall out of favor again soon, I would guess, much like the .41 Mag. has went up and down over the years. Many great cartridges. Many less popular ones. I like stuff that is readily available, the older I get. After brief flirtations with the newest big thing, I always find myself coming back to the classics.

The 10 is a great cartridge that never caught on much to the chagrin of those who espoused it. It's descendant, the 40 did, and there are reasons for that even though many can't see them.

Cole, most revolver cartridges for defense have lost popularity. Every needs a "high-capacity" semi auto nowadays. The only reason the FBI dropped the 10mm was that their weaker handed officers couldn't shoot it well. The .40 was a step down to rectify that "problem." Revolvers are passe -- I still carry them for defensive purposes as I love their absolute reliability. But lots of folks fall into the "spray and pray" category today, so they have to have a semi-auto.

I have never shot a bear (even though I have hunted them), but I am a handgun hunter and the only reason the 10mm would get the nod over the .357 is once again, diameter. Bigger is better as long as you are able to shoot it well. I don't hunt with a .475 Linebaugh because I like the recoil!
Well I am down to two 357's (Dan Wessons and very accurate) three 10 mm (2 S&W 610's and G29SF) and the real deal for where there might be bears a 44 Mag is what I would be carrying and I have a DW 744 (44 Rem Mag) for that if I ever go to bear country, and a Rossi 92 lever 44 to go with DW revolver.
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

Cole, most revolver cartridges for defense have lost popularity. Every needs a "high-capacity" semi auto nowadays. The only reason the FBI dropped the 10mm was that their weaker handed officers couldn't shoot it well. The .40 was a step down to rectify that "problem." Revolvers are passe -- I still carry them for defensive purposes as I love their absolute reliability. But lots of folks fall into the "spray and pray" category today, so they have to have a semi-auto.

I have never shot a bear (even though I have hunted them), but I am a handgun hunter and the only reason the 10mm would get the nod over the .357 is once again, diameter. Bigger is better as long as you are able to shoot it well. I don't hunt with a .475 Linebaugh because I like the recoil!

Whitworth my friend,

Some food for thought about your comment in regards to spray and pray. I have carried both revolvers and autos on the job, off duty and as a sportsman. When carrying a revolver I do not suddenly have a cooler head anymore than when carrying an auto am I inclined to "spray and pray".

The advantage to the auto is not to shoot more than necesarry, but to manipulate the handgun less. I am less likely to have to top off my gun or take it off the threat. When it does comes time to reload though, the auto is much faster to get back up to full capacity as well by 99% of shooters. There is only one Jerry Miculek.

BTW, count me as a 10mm fan. I currently only have 1, a standard sized Glock 20 and think highly of it. It very much compliments my .44s as field guns and often gets the nod in wet and nasty conditions.
Posted By: OSOK Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/08/09
To say "spray and pray" is to say that the actor is not aiming or placing their shots. Whitworth, to whom are you directing this comment or are you just mentioning it in general?

I personlly believe in placing every shot. No "fire for effect" BS. I live in the real world and realize that I'm held accountable for each and every bullet that I release.

If you carry a revolver and also have extra ammo for it on your person, then you are as much to as admitting that it may be needed. How can it be "bad" or somehow "less" to have a pistol with a 15 round mag capacity?
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Whitworth my friend,

Some food for thought about your comment in regards to spray and pray. I have carried both revolvers and autos on the job, off duty and as a sportsman. When carrying a revolver I do not suddenly have a cooler head anymore than when carrying an auto am I inclined to "spray and pray".

The advantage to the auto is not to shoot more than necesarry, but to manipulate the handgun less. I am less likely to have to top off my gun or take it off the threat. When it does comes time to reload though, the auto is much faster to get back up to full capacity as well by 99% of shooters. There is only one Jerry Miculek.

BTW, count me as a 10mm fan. I currently only have 1, a standard sized Glock 20 and think highly of it. It very much compliments my .44s as field guns and often gets the nod in wet and nasty conditions.

Now why did I know that this comment was going to be misconstrued. I also own and carry autos. My point was that revolvers for carry (as a main carry sidearm) are no longer en vogue. Younger generations would never even consider a sidearm that isn't a semi-auto and revolvers in their minds have been relegated to the dustbin of the ancient history. This comment about spray and pray wasn't dirrected at anyone here, nor was I suggesting that if you own and carry a semi-auto that you fall into this category. I see some folks getting defensive, but again, I wasn't suggesting anything but that revolvers are not as popular (full-size) as defensive pieces save for small snubbies for backup purposes.

When was the last time you saw a cop packing a revolver on his hip? Bet you don't remember. We have moved towards autos with magazines that have a large capacity -- which obviously makes sense.

Originally Posted by OSOK
To say "spray and pray" is to say that the actor is not aiming or placing their shots. Whitworth, to whom are you directing this comment or are you just mentioning it in general?

I personlly believe in placing every shot. No "fire for effect" BS. I live in the real world and realize that I'm held accountable for each and every bullet that I release.

If you carry a revolver and also have extra ammo for it on your person, then you are as much to as admitting that it may be needed. How can it be "bad" or somehow "less" to have a pistol with a 15 round mag capacity?

OSOK -- go to your local range and see what the norm is nowadays. High capacity has encouraged folks to focus on volume of fire versus well-aimed shots. You see them on any given day, shooting patterns at 5-yards. Sad reality, but no reflection on the accuracy potential of the current crop of semi-auto handguns.

My spray and pray comment was never meant to offend.
Nothing like a convoluted pistol thread! Ok, here's my take, some of which backtracks a bit.

I love the 10mm, especially my G20 as a platform. I can shoot .22 rimfire with my AA conversion upper, .40S&W with converstion barrel and full house 10mm which in the hotter loads is a 700 ft/lb class cartridge.

I want to briefly touch on the revolver/auto issue. If I was in an area where I really believed a bear was my biggest threat I'd be carrying a heavy revolver...period. Of my current arsenal it'd be my Ruger Redhawk stuffed with big (300gr or more) hard cast bullets driven as at max velocity. I understand the math behind the number of shots available in an auto but that's assuming that option is available. What if you've only got time for one, maybe two shots tops? I want the most damage I can possibly inflict with EACH shot on a bear. You may feel differently but that's how I roll.
BUT
what if you're as worried about meeting up with some rogues or feral dogs or what have you? For a "general" trail gun I very much like the idea of a high capacity auto. And I don't even dismiss the idea of "generalized fire" depending on the scenario. For instance, what if I'm in a pretty crappy cover situation but there's a better one close by? Blasting a couple shots downrange while moving to a better place of cover (or any other advantageous transitory move) can be of use. Granted, that's not the same thing as shooting a pattern at the range and figuring "that's good enough" because the target has 16 holes in it but I don't think choosing a high capacity auto somehow by default puts a person anywhere near the "spray and pray" category.

Originally Posted by guyandarifle
Granted, that's not the same thing as shooting a pattern at the range and figuring "that's good enough" because the target has 16 holes in it but I don't think choosing a high capacity auto somehow by default puts a person anywhere near the "spray and pray" category.

Nor do I think that is the case. My comment was more about the current crop of young folks and the popularity the high-capacity 9mm found with the ganster set. I repeat, I have and carry both. But, the fact remains that the .357 is no longer popular as a primary carry piece and I think personally that it makes for a fine primary.

I obviously didn't do a good enough job clarifying!
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/08/09
Gentleman STOP the music please! BEAR? Lets back up just a bit shall we, now when you speak of bears in the woods or your concerned about a possible bear attack, you better start with the 44mag and go upward in a hand gun. I maybe a little light on handgun knowledge but bears are something I do have knowledge, more so the than your average hunter on the internet.

I leave the 44 model 29 home nowdays when traveling up to places like Montana and Wyoming, where the bears are surely plentiful. My packing tool in bear country as far as a pistol goes, is a Smith & Wesson in the .460 caliber. A charging 350 lb grizzly looks like a MACK truck barreling down on you and trying to hit that bobbing target is not a piece of cake by any means. So you better practice like no tomorrow with your pistol when it comes to bears in the wild. I would much rather have my .338 mag Browning rifle when it comes to bears!!!

Now let us all get back on the topic of the 10MM CALIBER PLEASE!
Whitworth, I have no problem whatsoever with what you state in your claryfication. Some overgeneralize the point you made however, which was kinda where I was wanting to inject my viewpoint.

Tonk
If you see my post above I agree with you, especially if one is assuming Grizz or Brownies. However, in Blackie country I think a 10mm with proper loads would work just fine.
I had the opportunity to work in an agency that issued 10mm's S&W 1006. I liked it, the only reason we switched was that S&W quit making them. We were allowed to purchase our 1006's if we wanted to, of which i did. We switched to G23's at that agency, in lieu of the 1006's.

I was hoping that we'd stay with the 10mm. In Mid TN. at that time, i know of three other agencies that were either carrying the S&W 1006 or the S&W 1076. IIRC the 1006 was the first 10mm S&W made. It was the one that went to the FBI.

I've heard stories of agent's leaving the big 10mm at the office and carrying their J-frames instead. I can understand that the 1006 wasn't the best for undercover work. later models in the 10 series were probably better.

My sheriff at the time was an FBI Natl Academy Grad. if the FBI was carrying a Buck Rodgers squirt gun, so would we. I don't know of any LE agencies that still carry the 10mm, they maybe out there using the Glock.
Of all the 10's I've owned I liked the 1006 the best. If I was looking for one today, it's what I'd look for. I saw one at a gunshow a couple of months back and was sorely tempted.
Posted By: OSOK Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/09/09
Originally Posted by OSOK

OSOK -- go to your local range and see what the norm is nowadays. High capacity has encouraged folks to focus on volume of fire versus well-aimed shots. You see them on any given day, shooting patterns at 5-yards. Sad reality, but no reflection on the accuracy potential of the current crop of semi-auto handguns.

My spray and pray comment was never meant to offend.

I didn't take any offense - just didn't understand what you were getting at in terms of the 10mm.

At the range, I do see some just blasting away but I see a lot more people concentrating on hitting to point of aim. They seem to be doing about the same performance wise regardless of what type of handgun they are shooting. Admittedly, most are very poor shots but that's a function of technique and practice. I think 95% of them are self taught and simply don't know how to shoot accurately.

Posted By: Iraklion Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/10/09
10mm rocks! I recently bought a SW 1006 made in '92 new in box!
It will shoot 135 noslers at 1510 fps with power pistol. Now I love the 357 mag but it is not even in the same class as the 10mm.
Does Glock make the Model 20 in a short frame like they do the Model 21?
Yes. Glock 20SF.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/12/09
Shameless, I do believe that SF stands for "Slim Frame" ok.

Now looking at the GLOCK model book, I do see a Glock 20 and 20C. The 20 C stands for compact! The Slide Length of the regular 20 is 7.59 inches or 193mm. Listed in the book.

The also make a GLOCK 29 with a Slide Length of 6.77 inches or 172mm. in the 10mm caliber.
Originally Posted by Tonk

Now looking at the GLOCK model book, I do see a Glock 20 and 20C. The 20 C stands for compact! The Slide Length of the regular 20 is 7.59 inches or 193mm. Listed in the book.

The also make a GLOCK 29 with a Slide Length of 6.77 inches or 172mm. in the 10mm caliber.

Actually the SF does in fact stand for "short frame". The only model I'm aware of they advertise as "slim" anything is the G36.

Also, the "C" models are for "compensated", not compact.
Here's a pic I took of a large bear track on the wasatch range yesterday with my 29 as size comparison. Now you know why I pack it. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GF1 Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/14/09
Good thing the front sight isn't too large...
Posted By: batch Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/17/09
Let's face it, the 10mm is everything the .40 S&W isn't. You can load it with heavy bullets and still get reasonable velocity. Double Tap Ammo (www.doubletapammo.com) has the widest selection of 10mm loads available from mild to wild.

If you get really lucky, you can find some Norma ammo. They offered a 200 gr TC FMC at 1200- fps (635 ft. lbs.), and a 170 gr JHP at 1300 fps (636 ft. lbs.); these are their figures. I think they offered other weights but these were some really good rounds, and very expensive. I expect the 200 FMC TC would give excellent penetration on large furry things.
Originally Posted by batch

If you get really lucky, you can find some Norma ammo. They offered a 200 gr TC FMC at 1200- fps (635 ft. lbs.), and a 170 gr JHP at 1300 fps (636 ft. lbs.); these are their figures. I think they offered other weights but these were some really good rounds, and very expensive. I expect the 200 FMC TC would give excellent penetration on large furry things.

Batch -- seriously check out Double Tap for the widest variety of 10mm ammo available, from mild to wild.
Yes, the Double Tap Wide Flat Nose Beartooth hard cast lead bullets would be great penetrators for large furry things.
Posted By: JOG Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/18/09
Originally Posted by GF1
Good thing the front sight isn't too large...

Okay, that only took three days to sink in. I must be getting old.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/18/09
Well years ago I used to pack the Smith & Wesson model 29 in 44 mag for walks in bear country, teathered to my belt. Oh yeah, just for you young sprouts out there, I carried my model 70 Winchester in .338 mag or the .300 Win mag loaded with 250 grain and 220 grain bullets respectively.

I don't walk around much in bear country like days of old but if I did, I would once again take my pistol, only it would be my Smith & Wesson .460 instead. Now how's that grab you by the arse JOG? PS...We are picking up my GLOCK model 20 in the morning!!!
I'm from Minnesota - we use whisk brooms on black bears. wink

Grizzlies or Browns? I'm thinkin' RPG...
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/18/09
JOG.....Grizzly and Brown Bear are one in the same specie! This was proven some years ago by a (biologist) man who devoted his entire life and almost died from a grizzly attack in 1978 while studying them in Yellow Stone National Park. I just happened to be there that year. They also had 3 people killed by bears in that park that year.

Those so called Brown Bears just have much more food and don't have to travel but a city block or so to satisfy their hunger, while the mountain grizzly will travel 20 miles in a given day just hunting for his food.
The biologist died before DNA testing was available.

Grizzly Bear - Ursus arctos horribilis

Alaskan Brown Bear (Kodiak) - Ursus arctos middendorffi
I have a Glock 20 in 10mm with an extra 9x25 Dillon barrel (2000fps). The 10mm is a great 15rd back-up hunter. If my Ruger Blackhawk or Taurus DA that are in .41mag held 15rds, I wouldn't have the great Glock. I hate to carry extra ammo for a back-up. But they don't, and it does. Good luck.
Posted By: OSOK Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/18/09
I'd like to see the penetration of 180 grain rnfp hard cast bullets out of the G20 (with standard rifled aftermarket barrel).

1200 fps should push one of those very deep...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/22/09
Croldfort......It is nice that my GLOCK 20 holds 16 rounds! When I go elk hunting this season, the Glock 20 is going to be right along side my .338 mag model 70 Winchester.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/22/09
OSOK......I am going to run a test or two on the 10mm and 180 grain bullets in about a week. I'll let you know the results I get out of wet newspaper. I will also shoot some plywood or oak boards if I have the time.
Posted By: bearmgc Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/24/09
I have a 41mag. Don't need to duplicate cartridges.
Originally Posted by bearmgc
I have a 41mag. Don't need to duplicate cartridges.

I have a .44mag. Don't need to duplicate cartridges (by getting a .41, I have a 10mm in front of me right now).

wink
Posted By: JOG Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 06/25/09
I like duplicates and even the occasional quadruplicates. wink
Glock 20, with a Lone Wolf .40 barrel for plinking. I reload for both. It is sweet. Life is good. smile

Mark

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/03/09
I like my G20, but I've really been enjoying the 610 I picked up. 40's or 10's. I'm impressed with the accuracy. The SWEET trigger pull and long sight radius make it easy to shoot. I think some 180 XTP's may end up going after a deer this year.

JCM
Posted By: Dogger Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/03/09
Finally sold all my 10mm's. I decided that for me the .45ACP and .38 Super are more fun to shoot, better suited to my home defense and carry needs, and the huntin' will be done with the .41 magnum.
When I purchased my Sig 1911 in 45 ACP, it was also available in 10mm. I nearly opted for the 10mm until I researched the 45 Super and found it to my liking. The 45 Super will sling a 200 gr RNFP from my 5" barrel at 1320 fps. Since the only change to the gun is the recoil spring, hammer spring and brass; this essentially gives me two guns in one. I practice with and conceal carry the 45 ACP. When I hunt, I am packing the same gun in 45 Super. This has worked great for me. In my neck of the woods I am just as likely to meet a big pig or a mountain lion the same as a big Whitetail. THe 45 Super will do all that work easily. In concealed carry I don't need a 45 Super to ward off an offender.

Options are endless for a reloader.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/04/09
RELOADER 45....You made a very good choice and nothing like big bullets to stop or slow things down a bit.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/04/09
As far as the 10mm rd. goes, I really like it. I shoot 180 gr. bullets in mine. Both the accuracy, under one inch groups at 25 yds., and it's flat shooting characteristics have impressed me.
I'm not a fan of the Glock pistol. Their crappy "stapler" trigger break kills them for me. My gun is a 1006 Smith. If I were to buy another 10, I'd consider the better 1911 guns with adjustable sights.
I consider the 10mm a good choice for the handloader/hunter. Less critcal loading and more power than the .40. E
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/05/09
Eremicus.....I hate the looks of the GLOCK and detested for years, ever thinking about owning one of those plastic pistols. However, in the world of "conceal carry" and something that feeds ALL rounds weather reloads or cheap ammo period, I must say that the GLOCKS have one heck of a track record over the last 25 years or so.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love my Colts, Kimbers, Smith & Wessons and Sigs too but when your life is on the line, I want something that will not cause a hangup period. I carry a 10mm Glock and Smith & Wesson wheel gun as backup. Also the Glock has no safety's to sweep off nor decocking levers to operate etc. The first shot out of a Glock pistol is right on and ever shot afterwards, not like some as in Sig Sauer where the first shot is a 10-lb trigger pull and 5.5-lb there after ok.
Posted By: Dew Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/05/09
I just bought a new in the box 1006. Has the regular sights and the squared off trigger guard. I've not bought any reloading bullets for it yet and would appreciate what you think I should start with. I've got lots of powder and some new ammo.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/05/09
While I haven't used any lead loads in my 1006, I can assure you it has not jammed.
I'm well aware of Glock's excellent record for reliability.
However, their ease of use can be a drawback when your life is on the line. Any dummy that takes the gun away from you can easily use it against you. The safety setups on the 1006 or the 1911's make this harder to do. BTW, my 1006 has had it's magazine safety removed so that it will fire if the magazine is lost. That might be something you may wish to consider.
The other thing about Glocks is that they have been known to come apart, never to fire again, if they get tossed or get used as a club. Something the 1006 and the 1911's don't have for a concern.
Like alot things, selecting a pistol is accepting a few trade offs. I don't like the DA feature, for instance, on the 1006. If I ever find out that S&W is doing their single action conversions again, off it goes for the conversion. E
Posted By: OSOK Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/05/09
Tonk - any results from the testing? Inquiring minds.....
Posted By: 65BR Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/07/09
Dew, envy.....
Posted By: Outcast Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/11/09
Originally Posted by Tonk

Ton..,

On the G20C the C signifies Compensated, not compact. While the slide is 7.59 inches, the barrel length is 4.6 inches. The 20C is not a little pistol being the same as the G20, which is the uncompensated version.

The only other 10mm caliber pistol they list is the G29 which has a slide length of 6.77 inches and a barrel length of 3.78 inches. It ain't a real little gun either, but smaller than the G20/20C.

O
Maybe this should be a new thread, but here's my question:

Will a G20 barrel work in a G29, and does that also include the 6-in. Glock hunting barrel or various aftermarket models.

I kind of like the idea of having the compact frame but a barrel that will coax orginal ballistics out of the right rounds.

This is very topical as I just obtained a minty G29 set up with 3.5/NY1 trigger, extended slide stop and mag release!

Also if anyone knows someplace where 10mm is available OTC in Middle Tennessee I'd appreciate the info.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/13/09
Testing you betcha! Now I and friends tested several calibers one hot day at the gun club. Those calibers included the .380-auto, 9mm Luger, 40Smith & Wesson, 45acp and my two Glocks in 10mm caliber.

The test media was nothing other than soaked (dripping wet) newspaper at 6ft and 20ft later. Ammo tested was Cor-Bon, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady "Self Defense" and Pow-R-BALL (made by Cor-Bon. This ammo is designed to fragment after a certain distance etc.

The .380-auto with Cor-Bon, 200-lbs energy traveled 3.75 inches into the test media. The 9mm Luger with Cor-Bon had 466-lbs of energy and traveled almost 8 inches deep. The .40 Smith & Wesson with Cor-Bon had 500-lbs of energy and traveled 8.25 inches. The 45acp with Speer Gold DOT traveled 8.6 inches and the 10mm with Buffalo Bore ammo and FMJ went clean through the whole stack of news paper over 12 inches.

News paper is very tuff on bullets! I don't know what the slide rule says or comparison with actual body tissue but I know I will never carry a .380-auto in any type of weapon. The 9mm Luger is my minimum.
Posted By: Outcast Re: Feedback on 10mm caliber! - 07/14/09
Col..,

Not gonna pose as a Glock expert, but I believe you can put just about any Glock barrel on the G29. Lone Wolf sells after market barrels that are longer, compensated, change caliber and just about anything else you want to do. About the only thing you shouldn't do, is put a barrel on that's shorter than the slide.

I just bought a G20C and plan on getting a 6" barrel in 40S&W. And maybe later a .357SIG.

O
© 24hourcampfire