Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I would like those who have experience with the 10mm caliber to give a little information on what are their thoughts about this caliber in a handgun. I am seriously thinking about he purchase of a GLOCK model 29 with double stack magazine. I know there is not a lot of demand for the caliber but nonetheless I would like to hear opinions and experiences please.

Last edited by Tonk; 06/03/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1st class!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a Glock in 10mm. The 10mm with 180gr horn is a very powerful handgun. Handloaded to its potential it is very close to the 41 mag. It is clearly capeable for deer and beyond. Most commercial ammo is not loaded to potential. The 10mm is one of the most powerful handgun rounds in a semi auto. The 10mm is indeed first class and one of the better handgun rounds available.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been toying with the idea of having a pistol in 10mm for a bit now. It is good to hear what others think of it, I always thought it looked good on paper.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
buy one if you can i am sure trying too.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SinMan-6.....My wife purchased me a GLOCK model 29 today, a late birthday present I guess. It sure is nice to be loved fella's!

I have been kicking this idea around some and after running wet newspaper tests on the 40 S&W and 45acp, I was a little disappointed in what I discovered over the weekend. We used Cor-Bon ammo too. The target of bundled newspaper was soaked 36-hours prior to test. I was expecting at least 9 inches of penetration with the 40S&W (140 grn Dxp Cor-Bon) and 45acp with 200grn Cor-Bon in Barnes DXP bullet. Great wound channels and mushrooming effects bot NOT enough penetration to suit me.

I saw geletin tests that stated they got 15 and 17 inches of penetrationi with Cor-Bon ammo....Must have been some damn soupy geletin or JELLO!!!

I only got 6.85 inches with the 40 S&W caliber 140grn bullet and 6.5 inches with the 45acp using 200 grn Cor-Bon. I will run these tests again but must get my hands on some 10mm Cor-Bon ammo to compare apples to apples. I will also includ my Smith & Wesson 44 mag this time around.......Thanks for the replies and information!

Last edited by Tonk; 06/02/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NICE! I have always liked a 10mm 1911. I would love to get one but I keep looking at the Tanfoglio Witness Elite series, the Match or Stock 2. They have good reviews from what I have read but I have not talked to anyone with personal experience yet. I would still love to have a nice 1911 someday.

Last edited by Metsamies; 06/02/09.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good cartridge. More power than is necessary for self defense but puts magnum revolver power in an autoloader.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
very nice, try some 185gr 45acp ammo for your test too.

IC B3

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Metsamies......I will have a great Kimber Carry gun in stainless for sale very soon. This pistol was a "safe gun" during it's stay with us. I just may have had 250 rounds put down the barrel. I also have 2 other Kimbers pistols, 5 Sigs and several revolvers in the collection just to name a few. Also my first GLOCK in model 29!

If your interested do check out the Trading Post in the near future at 24HOUR OK.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
will do thanks for the heads up.

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sinman-6...I tried those 185 grain bullets in FMJ and also the 200 grain FMJ in 45acp. The 200's out penetrated the 185's in the plywood test I did sometime back.

I have NOT seen any Cor-Bon ammo in the 185 grain bullet weight in my area to purchase. Now at $32 dollars a box of 20, I don't want to have something laying around I am not going to use in the pistol for Self Defense ok.

I choose the 200 grain 45acp weight because it gives the best of two routes in penetration and velocity for the sake of shooting trajectory. The 230 FMJ are what several of the Old Timers are saying is the best but tests have proved otherwise. Velocity is at least a 100fps slower.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
i know only 185gr will have the muzzle energy required to shoot a deer in SD with a 45acp

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
i have a eaa witness p full size, and for the money has to be one of the best deals out there. i reload so it does not cost much more to shoot than any other cal. as for 10mm how does 220gr 1250fps sound in a 29 oz gun. recoil is stout but can be controlled with a little practace.if you do not plan on handloading and want full power 10mm look at double tap ammo.

Last edited by slow; 06/02/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 10 is quite simply the best, most useful true auto pistol cartridge in a reasonable-sized package, that we have had in my lifetime. I've owned at least a half-dozen examples over the years. I currently don't have one because it is a dead duck and there are other fine cartridges that are better choices.

For strictly performance purposes, I don't think you can beat the 10. The problem is availability. The 45 Auto +P is almost equivalent as far as shooting critters. The 40 S&W and 45 Auto are both roughly equivalent in one-shot manstopping. The 9 is not far off. All three of the latter cartridges are available in more concealable packages. All three are more popular and are available at any Wal Mart near me. So there are cartridges that are cheaper and more readily available in a wider variety of delivery systems than the 10. That's why I don't have one anymore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's face it, the 10mm is everything the .40 S&W isn't. You can load it with heavy bullets and still get reasonable velocity. Double Tap Ammo (www.doubletapammo.com) has the widest selection of 10mm loads available from mild to wild.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whitworth-1......Now as soon as I can find ammo for this GLOCK 10mm, I will then compare it to the 40S&W as well as the 45acp. Thanks for the come back!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tonk,

I don't get why you're disappointed that bullets designed not to penetrate don't penetrate very well.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Glock 29, and I consider it to be the very best all purpose handgun made, in my limited experience. It's just so dang versatile. Perfect for me as a hiking/outdoors gun, as I can carry a ton of power in a small package. Recoil is not bad at all. I shoot it very well. This little 29 is one of the main reasons I just pawned off my Kimber Ultra Carry. The Kimber wasn't reliable, and I knew I could count on the glock.

Get the mag extenders and it holds like a medium frame pistol. I was expecting the little 10 to have much more recoil than it does. It is not bad at all. I actually preferred the feel of the 10 to my Kimber.

As an added bonus, you can change the gun to a .40 or a .357 sig simply by swapping out the barrel. I don't know what else you could want in a back country gun. It's ideal. It has also become my CCW.

Get your ammo from doubletap. It's great stuff.
Mine looks like this:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by dryflyelk; 06/03/09.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,174 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,557
Posts18,531,558
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.