-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you'll look at my posts, I didn't say that it held more powder. I'll have to measure the two to know for sure and to do so I'll have to dig up some 10mm cases. The original published data for both cartridges was very optimistic.

I've owned over a half-dozen 10's over the years, shot it quite a bit and reloaded for the cartridge a bit. I don't think that qualifies as a dismissive attitude. The .357 is not my favorite cartridge. I find it kind of humorous that the 10 is touted so highly as a trailgun cartridge, especially where bears may be a concern, yet the .357 is almost universally met with at best a yawn. The platform of the cartridge is what makes the 10 attractive at all in my mind, besting the .357 in firepower, in most instances. It's downfall is simply it's lack of popularity. It will fall out of favor again soon, I would guess, much like the .41 Mag. has went up and down over the years. Many great cartridges. Many less popular ones. I like stuff that is readily available, the older I get. After brief flirtations with the newest big thing, I always find myself coming back to the classics.

The 10 is a great cartridge that never caught on much to the chagrin of those who espoused it. It's descendant, the 40 did, and there are reasons for that even though many can't see them.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The way I think of the 10mm is that its a top-end .357 Mag that shoots and cyles 100% from a 15+1 capacity Glock.

In a close encounter of the social kind, shot placement is key - and this combination gives you 16 opportunities to place the shot with a very capable round.

What's not to like about that?

No need to choose or compare cartrdiges IMHO.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OSOK.....I have the GLOCK 29 sub-compact model in the 10mm and come next week I am ordering the full size 10mm and that 15 rd magazine to boot. I like having 2 guns (back up) and both with the same ammo.

I have come full circle over the years and last week was my first "plastic frame pistol"!!! I would have given you odds 20 years ago, I would never have purchased something in a pistol that was not all steel.

The out of the box accuracy is what really blew my mind with this Glock 29 model. Today we were at the shooting range and several people fired this 10mm and were very impressed over the pistols accuracy at 20 yards. I was shown the targets after they shot and even brought a couple home with us. This Glock shot 2.5 inch groups on average by all 3 gents that shot the pistol slow fire 2 handed grip of course. Yes, two of them do shoot competition but still I figure in such a short barreled pistol it did great.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
If you'll look at my posts, I didn't say that it held more powder. I'll have to measure the two to know for sure and to do so I'll have to dig up some 10mm cases. The original published data for both cartridges was very optimistic.

I've owned over a half-dozen 10's over the years, shot it quite a bit and reloaded for the cartridge a bit. I don't think that qualifies as a dismissive attitude. The .357 is not my favorite cartridge. I find it kind of humorous that the 10 is touted so highly as a trailgun cartridge, especially where bears may be a concern, yet the .357 is almost universally met with at best a yawn. The platform of the cartridge is what makes the 10 attractive at all in my mind, besting the .357 in firepower, in most instances. It's downfall is simply it's lack of popularity. It will fall out of favor again soon, I would guess, much like the .41 Mag. has went up and down over the years. Many great cartridges. Many less popular ones. I like stuff that is readily available, the older I get. After brief flirtations with the newest big thing, I always find myself coming back to the classics.

The 10 is a great cartridge that never caught on much to the chagrin of those who espoused it. It's descendant, the 40 did, and there are reasons for that even though many can't see them.

Cole, most revolver cartridges for defense have lost popularity. Every needs a "high-capacity" semi auto nowadays. The only reason the FBI dropped the 10mm was that their weaker handed officers couldn't shoot it well. The .40 was a step down to rectify that "problem." Revolvers are passe -- I still carry them for defensive purposes as I love their absolute reliability. But lots of folks fall into the "spray and pray" category today, so they have to have a semi-auto.

I have never shot a bear (even though I have hunted them), but I am a handgun hunter and the only reason the 10mm would get the nod over the .357 is once again, diameter. Bigger is better as long as you are able to shoot it well. I don't hunt with a .475 Linebaugh because I like the recoil!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Well I am down to two 357's (Dan Wessons and very accurate) three 10 mm (2 S&W 610's and G29SF) and the real deal for where there might be bears a 44 Mag is what I would be carrying and I have a DW 744 (44 Rem Mag) for that if I ever go to bear country, and a Rossi 92 lever 44 to go with DW revolver.

Last edited by oldnavy6393; 06/08/09.

At the age of 18 when I joined the US Military I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, that oath did not end with my retirement.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

Cole, most revolver cartridges for defense have lost popularity. Every needs a "high-capacity" semi auto nowadays. The only reason the FBI dropped the 10mm was that their weaker handed officers couldn't shoot it well. The .40 was a step down to rectify that "problem." Revolvers are passe -- I still carry them for defensive purposes as I love their absolute reliability. But lots of folks fall into the "spray and pray" category today, so they have to have a semi-auto.

I have never shot a bear (even though I have hunted them), but I am a handgun hunter and the only reason the 10mm would get the nod over the .357 is once again, diameter. Bigger is better as long as you are able to shoot it well. I don't hunt with a .475 Linebaugh because I like the recoil!

Whitworth my friend,

Some food for thought about your comment in regards to spray and pray. I have carried both revolvers and autos on the job, off duty and as a sportsman. When carrying a revolver I do not suddenly have a cooler head anymore than when carrying an auto am I inclined to "spray and pray".

The advantage to the auto is not to shoot more than necesarry, but to manipulate the handgun less. I am less likely to have to top off my gun or take it off the threat. When it does comes time to reload though, the auto is much faster to get back up to full capacity as well by 99% of shooters. There is only one Jerry Miculek.

BTW, count me as a 10mm fan. I currently only have 1, a standard sized Glock 20 and think highly of it. It very much compliments my .44s as field guns and often gets the nod in wet and nasty conditions.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To say "spray and pray" is to say that the actor is not aiming or placing their shots. Whitworth, to whom are you directing this comment or are you just mentioning it in general?

I personlly believe in placing every shot. No "fire for effect" BS. I live in the real world and realize that I'm held accountable for each and every bullet that I release.

If you carry a revolver and also have extra ammo for it on your person, then you are as much to as admitting that it may be needed. How can it be "bad" or somehow "less" to have a pistol with a 15 round mag capacity?

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Whitworth my friend,

Some food for thought about your comment in regards to spray and pray. I have carried both revolvers and autos on the job, off duty and as a sportsman. When carrying a revolver I do not suddenly have a cooler head anymore than when carrying an auto am I inclined to "spray and pray".

The advantage to the auto is not to shoot more than necesarry, but to manipulate the handgun less. I am less likely to have to top off my gun or take it off the threat. When it does comes time to reload though, the auto is much faster to get back up to full capacity as well by 99% of shooters. There is only one Jerry Miculek.

BTW, count me as a 10mm fan. I currently only have 1, a standard sized Glock 20 and think highly of it. It very much compliments my .44s as field guns and often gets the nod in wet and nasty conditions.

Now why did I know that this comment was going to be misconstrued. I also own and carry autos. My point was that revolvers for carry (as a main carry sidearm) are no longer en vogue. Younger generations would never even consider a sidearm that isn't a semi-auto and revolvers in their minds have been relegated to the dustbin of the ancient history. This comment about spray and pray wasn't dirrected at anyone here, nor was I suggesting that if you own and carry a semi-auto that you fall into this category. I see some folks getting defensive, but again, I wasn't suggesting anything but that revolvers are not as popular (full-size) as defensive pieces save for small snubbies for backup purposes.

When was the last time you saw a cop packing a revolver on his hip? Bet you don't remember. We have moved towards autos with magazines that have a large capacity -- which obviously makes sense.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSOK
To say "spray and pray" is to say that the actor is not aiming or placing their shots. Whitworth, to whom are you directing this comment or are you just mentioning it in general?

I personlly believe in placing every shot. No "fire for effect" BS. I live in the real world and realize that I'm held accountable for each and every bullet that I release.

If you carry a revolver and also have extra ammo for it on your person, then you are as much to as admitting that it may be needed. How can it be "bad" or somehow "less" to have a pistol with a 15 round mag capacity?

OSOK -- go to your local range and see what the norm is nowadays. High capacity has encouraged folks to focus on volume of fire versus well-aimed shots. You see them on any given day, shooting patterns at 5-yards. Sad reality, but no reflection on the accuracy potential of the current crop of semi-auto handguns.

My spray and pray comment was never meant to offend.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nothing like a convoluted pistol thread! Ok, here's my take, some of which backtracks a bit.

I love the 10mm, especially my G20 as a platform. I can shoot .22 rimfire with my AA conversion upper, .40S&W with converstion barrel and full house 10mm which in the hotter loads is a 700 ft/lb class cartridge.

I want to briefly touch on the revolver/auto issue. If I was in an area where I really believed a bear was my biggest threat I'd be carrying a heavy revolver...period. Of my current arsenal it'd be my Ruger Redhawk stuffed with big (300gr or more) hard cast bullets driven as at max velocity. I understand the math behind the number of shots available in an auto but that's assuming that option is available. What if you've only got time for one, maybe two shots tops? I want the most damage I can possibly inflict with EACH shot on a bear. You may feel differently but that's how I roll.
BUT
what if you're as worried about meeting up with some rogues or feral dogs or what have you? For a "general" trail gun I very much like the idea of a high capacity auto. And I don't even dismiss the idea of "generalized fire" depending on the scenario. For instance, what if I'm in a pretty crappy cover situation but there's a better one close by? Blasting a couple shots downrange while moving to a better place of cover (or any other advantageous transitory move) can be of use. Granted, that's not the same thing as shooting a pattern at the range and figuring "that's good enough" because the target has 16 holes in it but I don't think choosing a high capacity auto somehow by default puts a person anywhere near the "spray and pray" category.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
Granted, that's not the same thing as shooting a pattern at the range and figuring "that's good enough" because the target has 16 holes in it but I don't think choosing a high capacity auto somehow by default puts a person anywhere near the "spray and pray" category.

Nor do I think that is the case. My comment was more about the current crop of young folks and the popularity the high-capacity 9mm found with the ganster set. I repeat, I have and carry both. But, the fact remains that the .357 is no longer popular as a primary carry piece and I think personally that it makes for a fine primary.

I obviously didn't do a good enough job clarifying!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gentleman STOP the music please! BEAR? Lets back up just a bit shall we, now when you speak of bears in the woods or your concerned about a possible bear attack, you better start with the 44mag and go upward in a hand gun. I maybe a little light on handgun knowledge but bears are something I do have knowledge, more so the than your average hunter on the internet.

I leave the 44 model 29 home nowdays when traveling up to places like Montana and Wyoming, where the bears are surely plentiful. My packing tool in bear country as far as a pistol goes, is a Smith & Wesson in the .460 caliber. A charging 350 lb grizzly looks like a MACK truck barreling down on you and trying to hit that bobbing target is not a piece of cake by any means. So you better practice like no tomorrow with your pistol when it comes to bears in the wild. I would much rather have my .338 mag Browning rifle when it comes to bears!!!

Now let us all get back on the topic of the 10MM CALIBER PLEASE!

Last edited by Tonk; 06/08/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Whitworth, I have no problem whatsoever with what you state in your claryfication. Some overgeneralize the point you made however, which was kinda where I was wanting to inject my viewpoint.

Tonk
If you see my post above I agree with you, especially if one is assuming Grizz or Brownies. However, in Blackie country I think a 10mm with proper loads would work just fine.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the opportunity to work in an agency that issued 10mm's S&W 1006. I liked it, the only reason we switched was that S&W quit making them. We were allowed to purchase our 1006's if we wanted to, of which i did. We switched to G23's at that agency, in lieu of the 1006's.

I was hoping that we'd stay with the 10mm. In Mid TN. at that time, i know of three other agencies that were either carrying the S&W 1006 or the S&W 1076. IIRC the 1006 was the first 10mm S&W made. It was the one that went to the FBI.

I've heard stories of agent's leaving the big 10mm at the office and carrying their J-frames instead. I can understand that the 1006 wasn't the best for undercover work. later models in the 10 series were probably better.

My sheriff at the time was an FBI Natl Academy Grad. if the FBI was carrying a Buck Rodgers squirt gun, so would we. I don't know of any LE agencies that still carry the 10mm, they maybe out there using the Glock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Of all the 10's I've owned I liked the 1006 the best. If I was looking for one today, it's what I'd look for. I saw one at a gunshow a couple of months back and was sorely tempted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSOK

OSOK -- go to your local range and see what the norm is nowadays. High capacity has encouraged folks to focus on volume of fire versus well-aimed shots. You see them on any given day, shooting patterns at 5-yards. Sad reality, but no reflection on the accuracy potential of the current crop of semi-auto handguns.

My spray and pray comment was never meant to offend.

I didn't take any offense - just didn't understand what you were getting at in terms of the 10mm.

At the range, I do see some just blasting away but I see a lot more people concentrating on hitting to point of aim. They seem to be doing about the same performance wise regardless of what type of handgun they are shooting. Admittedly, most are very poor shots but that's a function of technique and practice. I think 95% of them are self taught and simply don't know how to shoot accurately.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
10mm rocks! I recently bought a SW 1006 made in '92 new in box!
It will shoot 135 noslers at 1510 fps with power pistol. Now I love the 357 mag but it is not even in the same class as the 10mm.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does Glock make the Model 20 in a short frame like they do the Model 21?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. Glock 20SF.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shameless, I do believe that SF stands for "Slim Frame" ok.

Now looking at the GLOCK model book, I do see a Glock 20 and 20C. The 20 C stands for compact! The Slide Length of the regular 20 is 7.59 inches or 193mm. Listed in the book.

The also make a GLOCK 29 with a Slide Length of 6.77 inches or 172mm. in the 10mm caliber.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,590
Posts18,473,439
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.