Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I did not get bit or make contact with the saliva.

Around 5 PM I walked to my back patio with a big bag of charcoal in my right hand. When I was a few feet away from the grill I saw something coming across the lawn at me. I saw that it was a raccoon and I stopped 'cause this hasn't happened to me before. The raccoon made no sounds but it kept right on trucking over to me.

I swung the bag of charcoal like it was a golf club and sent the raccoon rolling. It hopped up and came at me again and I kicked it in the head. It then decided to pick a fight with someone else and went over towards my shed.

I grabbed my Ruger 77/22 and followed it and it actually looked like it would come back at me when it saw me following it. From 20 feet I put one round into its chest and another into its head.

Now I have a dead raccoon in a garbage bag, in a cooler on ice. We'll take it in to be tested tomorrow.

Anybody else had something like this happen to them? We never see raccoons out in broad daylight out here.

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think you definately did right...

Coons in the day are not that uncommon but its behavior definately is...

Should have pointed an HMR at him. He would have fallen over dead before you pulled the trigger they are so scared...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds to me like you were mighty lucky. Raccoons carry rabies even if they aren't sick with it. Any seen around here develop instant lead poisoning.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several years ago in deer season, we were eating lunch in Dad's garage, which kinda turns into a command post at that time of year.

My brother went out back to relieve himself, and came across a snarling, salivating, red fox. He retreated, and quickly dispatched it with his .25-06.

We dumped the carcass in an old tire, along with the gloves used to handle the chore and lit it. Better safe than sorry.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
definitely sounds like the coon had issues.....let us know if he passes his rabies test. I'm betting yes.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rabid coons are fairly common in this part of Georgia. I haven't had an experience as you describe, but I have read of several almost identical instances as you described.

The test results were almost always 100% Rabies, and a few people, and their pets have been bitten and had to take shots.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That sounds like it could be demomentia...believe jorge has that.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thank you for posting that right up front! But also beware of Racoon roundworm . A very real concern. Touch it as little as possible and don't let kids near it.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was in college in Missouri I was at a party at a friends farm house and walked out on the back porch and a racoon walked up beside me and started eating out of a dish of food by my foot. Thinking it was a pet i reached down to pet it and it was instantly on the back of my neck and head, hissing, growling, biting and scratching. I managed to reach back and grab fur with both hands and fling it over my head.
Bleeding like mad, I walked back in and the owner asked what had happened and I told him his pet coon had attacked me. He looked at me funny and told me he didn't have a pet coon !!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

Once, years ago,I happened across a racoon with it's foot stuck in a trap when I was duck hunting.
Never being around a live coon before, I approached it.
Big mistake, the thing reared up and made, well, it almost sounded like a roar!

I wound up throwing a blanket over the thing, got it's foot out of the trap and released it-but I never forgot how that little sucker made such a big noise.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I've killed three big bull coons lately and they can really get pissy. Not cowards, like coyotes; a coon really wants to do battle.

Weird critters.

Steve

PS.

Bull coons have a really cool dick bone. Here is the dick bone out of a 38 pound coon I bashed to death.

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haha!
Good thing that coon is not still alive and minus his 'bone'- he would be really mad!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Leadslinger

I swung the bag of charcoal like it was a golf club and sent the raccoon rolling. It hopped up and came at me again and I kicked it in the head.

Anybody else had something like this happen to them? We never see raccoons out in broad daylight out here.

I know you said no contact, but are you really, absolutely, positively SURE that you had no contact with the saliva? Were you wearing shorts? How close were you when you shot it in the head and did the brain matter splatter? The fact that rabies is 100% fatal really makes you think hard. Skin is very good at blocking the virus but all it takes is one tiny crack or cut and the virus can enter, then attack your nervous system. And then no more Leadslinger.

The treatment does not hurt, it is simply a series of 5 shots given over time plus some antibodies given right away. Not the 21 shots in the stomach of the old days.

2 years ago, we had a steer test positive for rabies. I may or may not have gotten slobbered on by the steer while working with it but it wasn't worth the risk not to get the shots. If I'm ever exposed again, 2 or 3 booster shots and I'm good to go.

In my opinion and experience, you should at least talk to your doctor if the rabies test is positive.

Oh yeah, if positive, you'll probably hear from the county health department too.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I've killed three big bull coons lately and they can really get pissy. Not cowards, like coyotes; a coon really wants to do battle.

Weird critters.

Steve

PS.

Bull coons have a really cool dick bone. Here is the dick bone out of a 38 pound coon I bashed to death.

[Linked Image]

Folks make toothpicks outta them.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 340boy
grin
, well, it almost sounded like a roar!

Yes they do. Surprising isnt it grin

:
I wound up throwing a blanket over the thing, got it's foot out of the trap and released it-

Why would you release it confused Messing with someones trapline is bad ju-ju and has potential to end up swallowing your own teeth.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Dale K
Originally Posted by Leadslinger

I swung the bag of charcoal like it was a golf club and sent the raccoon rolling. It hopped up and came at me again and I kicked it in the head.

I know you said no contact, but are you really, absolutely, positively SURE that you had no contact with the saliva? Were you wearing shorts? How close were you when you shot it in the head and did the brain matter splatter? The fact that rabies is 100% fatal really makes you think hard. Skin is very good at blocking the virus but all it takes is one tiny crack or cut and the virus can enter, then attack your nervous system. And then no more Leadslinger.

The treatment does not hurt, it is simply a series of 5 shots given over time plus some antibodies given right away. Not the 21 shots in the stomach of the old days.

2 years ago, we had a steer test positive for rabies. I may or may not have gotten slobbered on by the steer while working with it but it wasn't worth the risk not to get the shots. If I'm ever exposed again, 2 or 3 booster shots and I'm good to go.

In my opinion and experience, you should at least talk to your doctor if the rabies test is positive.

Oh yeah, if positive, you'll probably hear from the county health department too.

Dale
That's what I was thinking, particularly since he drop kicked the 'coon on the second assault.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Dale,

It has been a cold weekend so I'm wearing jeans, socks and running shoes. I sprayed them with lysol after the incident.

No brain splatter in my direction. It bled out near a tree. I'm hoping sunlight will kill the virus but I soaked the area with water.

I won't mess around if the tests are positive.

Phil, that is one funny story!

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot several cat food thieving coons here every year. This year we have moved our cat food for my outdoor kitties to the back deck. The coons think it is their private dining room. I have the food up on a little stand and the other night one of my dogs was growling at something out there. I grabbed my .22, took aim and shot right through the screen door and dispatched the coon. I have heard her growling at my cats but it was always gone by the time I got there. They seem to arrive for dinner every night about 10 pm. I am ready for them! The cats have put holes in the screen so it's no biggie to shoot through it. laugh By the way my little shih tzu, Boo is the one who warns me a coons out there, guess it makes her my coon dog.

Last edited by Sassy; 06/07/09.

Sassy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Does this make a good argument for a CRF rimfire??????

(big grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
grin
, well, it almost sounded like a roar!

Yes they do. Surprising isnt it grin

:
I wound up throwing a blanket over the thing, got it's foot out of the trap and released it-

Why would you release it confused Messing with someones trapline is bad ju-ju and has potential to end up swallowing your own teeth.

Bogger,
Probably not the brightest thing to do, I admit.
I was about 15yrs old at the time?
That darn coon was about starved to death- if I remember correctly the trap was not there to catch coons, but I could have been wrong.
Now I probably would have just given it a 12ga for lunch!
grin

James Elroy Flecker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (204guy, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,806
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.