Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JacquesLaRami
I've never eaten a prairie dog, a coyote, fox, coon, skunk, badger, bobcat, muskrat, or even any of the mice that I've ever trapped!!

Mountain lion is pretty good. I'm told that bobcat is just as good, but have not had the chance to try it yet.

RR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Opossum ate on my mom's parakeets the other night, so I'll be dusting that [bleep] soon enough, and have no intentions of eating it. Also, there will be some bunnies getting shot if they eat anymore plants from the garden.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kill a game animal, it gets eaten. Non game pest type critters are fresh meat for the buzzards. (Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms) No way am I gonna eat snakes, red squirrels, starlings, coyotes, crows and such.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feral cats are at the top of my (s)hit list.

They don't belong.

Second place goes to whistle pigs. A relative new comer to my area, I stop at nothing (short of poison) to eradicate these vermin. I've run them down and stomped/beat them to death on numerous occasions.

I consider killing feral cats and wood chucks both a duty and a public service.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal

The local coyotes and I have a sort of unwritten agreement. They will come in the yard and try their best to eat the girl�s cats and in return I�ll shoot all of them that I am able to.

Regards,
Dwayne

Now THAT is funny! Never thought of using cats for bait but it has intriguing possibilities.

I have eaten young muskrat (good dark meat), raccoon, also dark and pretty good, possums (delcious baked with sweet potatoes), a few ground squirrels on a survival jaunt and a marmot to see what it tasted like (not bad). I've eaten cougar but not bobcat, though have heard that it is delicious. Cougar is top notch. I tend to pick up a bob now and then, therapeutically venting my blood lust and frustration when their tracks are around during a slow spell when I can't find something bigger to call. Will have to try the backstraps on one of them.

I'm one of the inconsistent double standard humans. I generally eat (or use in some way) what I kill, unless it is a critter that needs killing, but hold that value from my upbringing kind of loosely. I.e. Some bear meat is good but enough of them aren't that I don't bring much bear meat home, but that's also contributed to me not shooting bears much anymore. Hide hunting is a different use of the animal but it is a use, so qualifies under the same rule.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Now THAT is funny! Never thought of using cats for bait but it has intriguing possibilities."

No,no,no.

Kittens. Little tiny, noisy ones. Put them in a cage at the edge of the woods and sit up on a hill. The hungrier the little meowers are the better!

grin

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no problem killing varmints around the place. Rats, 'coons, possibs, etc. I sure don't eat 'em.

As a general life philosophy, though, I do follow the don't kill it unless you are gonna eat it mantra. Though I will confess to falling off the wagon very occasionally <g>.

I killed more than enough little things as a kid.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The eat what you kill mantra tends to be directly proportional to the cuteness of said victim.

Have heard non-hunters say 'So long as you eat the deer, then I guess hunting is ok', purely an emotional basis.

Same folks wouldn't think twice about stomping a roach in their house but 'eating what you kill' never factors in there. If something is a nusiance or ugly to them then killing isn't an issue. Seems cuteness is the yardstick by which they measure if something should be eaten.

Hard to argue to a degree, given the choice I'll always eat the more cute first.

I don't always eat what I kill no more then I always kill what I eat.

Last edited by Steelhead; 06/07/09.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I ate everything I killed I would weigh about 40,000 pounds I guess and would have to eat pork at every meal.

Does shooting intruders count as well?

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
occasionally have had rabbit.....dont shoot them as much anymore....in high school one winter we had a land owner ask us to clear out as many as we could on one of their upswing, population explosions....in a mile and a half of river bottom we literally filled up a pickup bed....most went to the coyotes....havent shot another rabbit other than when one of my uncles asks me to kill a few cause they are eating my aunts flowers.....

shot plenty of stray house cats when i was out in the country...bout ready to pick up a pellet gun and start doing it in town.....i keep my dogs in my yard ppl should keep their damn cats in theirs....they seem to love the mulch i use in my gardens as their litter box.....never ate one but given how my brother raves on how good cougar is i would assume they would be fine to eat...

shot plenty of porcupines that were playing hell on trees(if populations are low the damage they do isnt any big deal....if they get kinda thick they can start killing the trees) never ate one of them either, dont plan to.....

have heard younger raccoon and beaver(the 4 legged type) is pretty good but ive never tried either.....

never eaten any 'yote or fox......ive heard alot of ol' trappers and such werent big on it either.....

never eaten any of the ground squirrels we've shot either but then there aint much in the way of eating meat left on them after they are shot grin

Last edited by rattler; 06/07/09.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I kill alot of critters that I wont eat. Some animals are fun to hunt but I dont consider them food.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Kittens. Little tiny, noisy ones. Put them in a cage at the edge of the woods and sit up on a hill. The hungrier the little meowers are the better!

grin

Well, I wouldn't wanna give away all of my secrets but I have house cat distress and kitten mews recorded on my serious electronic critter caller and they work mighty fine at enticing several kinds of predators. Used to use a cassette tape of my three day old son crying, and it works also. His mother gave me grief over the recording session but he was crying anyway and we were going to let him cry a spell.

Porcupine is pretty good eating. Weird critters to skin. Besides the quill problem, the hide itself has so little strength that it tears if you pull it much.

Last edited by Okanagan; 06/07/09. Reason: added to menu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try a chicken on a tether some time wink

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JacquesLaRami
Try a chicken on a tether some time wink

Kentucky tied chicken.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Seems cuteness is the yardstick by which they measure"

In that case they probably wouldn't approve of stomping bunnies and kittens smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Robin breast in sheperds pie. Mix in mushroom soup,green beans, corn,galic,salt,pepper,green,tabasco. Top with mashpotatos bake in oven till brown. Great dish!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta agree with Scott on this subject.The whole "kill what you eat" thing is BS,considering it's biggest supporter is the Fish & Game Department.The local department kills numerous black bears every year and dump them 100 yards from my house on timber company property.Now if you or I killed a black bear legally and tagged it,but dumped the meat,we would get around a $1000 fine for wanton waste.It's ok for them to do it,but it's totaly immoral for us to do it.

I eat every game animal I kill,down to the last morsel,for no other reason than I really enjoy how they taste.But varmints?Nope,never ate any and not planning on eating any anytime soon.Anyone who would even attempt to eat a prarie dog is out of their mind,considering it is the only animal in North America that still carries the plague.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Re: You kill it- you eat it - double standard rules

I wonder what George Tiller's thoughts on the subject were. At least Jeffrey Dahmer was upfront about it.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
When my wife and I first married she went into the "you kill it, you eat it bit". I asked if that included mice, flies, maggots scorpions, spiders and bugs in general. She said, "no their not cute". I have managed to convinve her not all that walks is edible either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone is dodging the real question, so I'll ask it.

It isn't so much "why would you want to eat THAT?!", as it is, "why would you want to kill THAT?!"

Like I said before, I've killed a whole lot of little critters; we were hell on 'em when I was a kid. I try to not kill just for the thrill of it anymore, though I sometimes fall off the wagon... Smoked a little squirrel the other day with my AR when he wouldn't stop chattering at me while I was up shooting for example... But in general, for my own reasons I've decided to, as a rule, avoid random killing of critters for no reason other than my own amusement.

But, to each their own. Doesn't seem to be a critter shortage out there. "They'll make more..."... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.