-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know that I knew your daughter. I only knew Heather Panhale through Nigel as we were the same grade. I was in the Class of 2002. Sorry to hear about your daughter, the way people whip around in those parking lots is a nasty mix. I remember watching a guy get creamed just outside of the K-Mart entrance, back when it was K-mart. They guy was ok, but he got hit at about 30. Flipped him right over the little car though and flat on his face on the other side. His friends thought it would be funny to shove him in front of it, but thought he'd have time to jump back on the curb.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MtGoat
Welcome back! I believe we met at the Peanut Farm many years ago in a drive-by sort of way. First time I met Joel/Ak and pak, IIRC.

There was a Faeo that won the Irondog at least once and another artist-lady, Linda Faeo, I recall from the area... Any relation to either of them?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
MtGoat
Welcome back! I believe we met at the Peanut Farm many years ago in a drive-by sort of way. First time I met Joel/Ak and pak, IIRC.

There was a Faeo that won the Irondog at least once and another artist-lady, Linda Faeo, I recall from the area... Any relation to either of them?
art

Hello Art,
Great to hear from you! Yes, I recall the drive by meeting at the peanut farm. I would love to hook up with the locals again as I am now in Anchorage. I work tough hours through the week but could find the time some evening or weekend.

That would be John my cousin of Iron Dog fame. The artist may be Laura my ex. Other than that I don't know of a Linda.

Last edited by mtgoat; 05/31/09.

Walk softly and carry a big stick. Prefferably one that shoots big bullets.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhh, yes, Laura it is. She designed the AK medallion in '91.

We will have to get together, but summer is a busy time around here.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been spending quite a bit of time looking for housing in the North Kenai/Nikiski area and am a little bit lost about what type of place would serve me best on 40k a year in that area. Can anyone offer good real estate advice for my situation? I would like to start by renting.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Call your principal and/or the district office. I think the district office keeps a list of rentals and manager's phone numbers to help out new teachers. If you are solo, you can live almost anywhere.

If you don't have this yet:

http://www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Alaskanflyboy gave you a really good overview of the area.

I'd hasten to add, however, that once your freezer has a stock of food fish in it, there is virtually no one on the hundreds of lakes if you are into fun-fishing for rainbows and Dollys.....

And yes, ice fishing is an option- so many lakes, so little time...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I find my self filling out scores of forms for this job and the move. Its rather exciting that my plan is coming together!

I found the correct firearms declaration forms and an application to transport handguns. I have one revolver that I would like to take with me. I am going to call tomorrow and apply for the permit. It looks rather simple.

Will my 30-06 be enough gun to handle moose and bears up there? I have a bunch of 150 grainers loaded up. Should I consider loading some 180s or 200s or moving up to a bigger cartridge all together?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Congratulations!

Will my 30-06 be enough gun to handle moose and bears up there? I have a bunch of 150 grainers loaded up. Should I consider loading some 180s or 200s or moving up to a bigger cartridge all together?

Yes! smile
(on all accounts)

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
Congratulations!

Yes! smile
(on all accounts)

If a Brownie was charging out of the alders at me I would be wishing I had more than a 30-06 to defend myself. When Moose hunting the peninsula it is a real liklihood that you could run into a Brownie. My Dad used to bring his 30-06 up from Washington to go hunting with me until he and I had some "EXPERIENCES". I have since bought him a 300 WSM with 180's that I store for him until moose season. Sell your 30-06 to a buddy and get something with a little more Bark!

P.S. If you can find primers before you come up I am sure some of us on the Peninsula would like to make an order.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll bet anyone willing to compile statistics that the venerably boring '06 has killed more brown/grizzley bears than the next two cartridges.

But...I kind of agree. In the alders situation, one could want something bigger than an '06, but in that situation how big is "big enough"? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No doubt the '06 will kill! I just want more!

I like a 45-70 when bushwacking. Its short quickly reloaded and lots of grains. Kicks like a mule though...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KenaiSlayer1
Kicks like a mule though...

On the bear's end as well!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
338ultra is just about rite

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SpartanGunner
I find my self filling out scores of forms for this job and the move. Its rather exciting that my plan is coming together!

I found the correct firearms declaration forms and an application to transport handguns. I have one revolver that I would like to take with me. I am going to call tomorrow and apply for the permit. It looks rather simple.

My advice is to ditch that idea of trying to take that revolver through Canada. Best bet is to ship it to an FFL holder here and pick it up when you arrive. If you need the contact info for an FFL holder who will do it I can provide it, as can some other folks. It will cost you about $75 to mail it and about $20 for the FFL to handle it.

Canada is handgun adverse to the extreme. Proceed at your own risk.

My vote would be to keep the .30-06. It's going to be a year before you're out moose hunting and you'll have plenty of time to shoot some of the bigger boomers here to see if you like them and/or handle them. Shooting a "big enough" cartridge well is much more important than shooting a "big medicine" cartridge poorly. Shooting that .30-06 a bunch will be good training for a bigger cartridge if you decide to go that route, and it is much less expensive to shoot it a lot.

JMHO.

Jim
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Shooting a "big enough" cartridge well is much more important than shooting a "big medicine" cartridge poorly.

Now stop making sense!

Originally Posted by mcknight77
If you need the contact info for an FFL holder who will do it I can provide it, as can some other folks.

I know of some very close. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My mother's .300 Weatherby did fine with moose, and I believe it was also the rifle she used across the Inlet for grizzley. I'm not sure on that, though. Between the .30-06, .300WSM, and .300WBY, they're all the same .308 bullet, it's just a matter of the power the cartridge can put behind it.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Or where to put it wink

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I arrived in Anchorage last night and will be heading to Kenai today! The trip was amazing - made it in 4 days from Michigan.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Glad to hear of your arrival! Although, that is a trip worthy of a bit more time! Some good Canucks to share a frosty with along the way.

Still have my number? Call when you have the chance.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (44mc, 345dl, 338rcm, 300Sav, 35, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,528 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,563
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.