Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
Hi,

I am nearing the end of my project Marlin 336, 30-30. It started as a pawn shop find for $150.00 and has had quite a cosmetic and functional transformation. I first tried working over a really beat up Remington Model 39 single shot .22 , made this;

[Linked Image]

Into This;

[Linked Image]

I was pretty happy with the results so I dove right in and started another. I started out by buying a cheap Ram-Line stock and fitting a decent recoil pad to it. I also filled the large void in the buttstock with expanding foam. I textured the fore end and grip of the buttstock with epoxy and filler, finally painting it with a "textured" type finish. It greatly improves the looks of the plastic Ram-Line stock as purchased. I also cut the barrel down to 16.25", re-crowned with recess and silver soldered a NECG banded ramp sight onto the new tube length. I like the way it looks on the lever gun, hope you do too! I have the rear peep sight on order and along with a Burris "Short Mag" IER scope on a Scout Mount with Talley QD rings I will have redundant sights appropriate for the caliber, 30-30 of course. Why mess with a classic? Laugh! I did a complete action job from barrel lap & polish to trigger job, it breaks cleanly at exactly 2 lbs.

It was a 1974 built gun so it really had a decent trigger when I started. All of the bearing internals were hand stoned and polished where appropriate. I even lapped the magazine tube for smooth operation. The mag tube was cut down to 13.5" and the capacity is now 4 plus 1 instead of 6 plus 1.

The little gun points and balances very very well. It is really light and should make a great truck or boat gun. I degreased everything including the screws, 40PSI of aluminum oxide and matte stainless steel Gun Kote baked on at 310 deg for an hour with a Mil-Tec lube bath afterwards gives it a tough, glare free industrial finish that requires little care in the field.

This should be a nice little deer or hog rifle. I cant wait to finish up my Marlin 45-70 GG in a similar fashion. I did have Bob Cogan put his industrial matte chrome on it. He is the master of this finish and it will serve me well on Kodiak , Afognak and Raspberry Islands in Alaska where I often hunt. I have always been a shooter but have really enjoyed these little gunsmithing projects.

I plan on customizing my .45 LC Bisley next. Enough chatter, here are the pictures of my beginner efforts in making a great gun even better eek

Started with this;

[Linked Image]

Here are the results so far;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Tractorshaft/336_RH_WorkVise.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Tractorshaft/336_RH_WorkbenchII.jpg[/img]

Hope you enjoyed looking at my new found hobby. What fun!

Thanks and God Bless

Jerry

NW Connecticut

Last edited by Tractorshaft; 06/12/09.
GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pretty cool.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tell you what, if it's a "bubba" job, it's with a capitol B. Looks good!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's really impressive! Love what you did with the old .22! Awesome!

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Nice. Extremely nice! And I love the metal finish! Let us know how she shoots. And I have to agree with you on the front sight choice. Very good.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang, some serious transformations, and, well done!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks! It was a lot of fun (The .22 Rem model 33), here is the link to the thread over at The High Road forum if you are interested in it. Gunsmithing the Model 33 Remington .22

There are literally tens of thousands of these old .22's out there that could be fixed up and given to the next generation of shooters! Sharpen your chisels gentlemen and get busy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done, TS. By the title of the post I was expecting something much different.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a nice looking rifle amd unique. Love the front sight. You do great Bubba(ring).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn! That is nice, nice work. The banded front sight really looks great on that stubby barrel.

Are you using the barrel band screw to hold the mag tube in? Or did you sink a little divot in the barrel for the magazine plug screw to go into?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If that is bubba work, I shudder to think what some of my own projects would be called. LOL!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bubba done good.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
T
OP Offline
T
Hi Jim,

I used a MAPP gas torch and a little silver solder kit I got from Airgas. I have the capability to do most processes but silver solder seemed an appropriate mounting solution. It was sized for a Ruger Bisley .45LC I was going to put it on but I like the way it looked on the lever gun. I had to put a .012 shim band inside of it to get a good slip fit and then clamped the ramp down onto the barrel with a little C clamp to get it soldered on. The little silver solder Kit is a great deal at the welding supply house for $5.00, come with about 10' of solder and liquid flux. I did clamp down the set screw before soldering it in place for added stability.

like this;

[Linked Image]

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Damn! That is nice, nice work. The banded front sight really looks great on that stubby barrel.

Are you using the barrel band screw to hold the mag tube in? Or did you sink a little divot in the barrel for the magazine plug screw to go into?

Hi Jim,

I am indeed using the barrel band screw to keep the mag tube in place until I finish splitting the front band in half and brazing a sling stud mount on it. I will then drill "Between" the barrel and the mag tube to reproduce the little half-circle that keeps the two together in the correct location and perspective.Those two, together should keep it from moving at all. I did think about dovetailing a little slot in the barrel and putting a "Key" on the mag tube like the Guide guns use but that would not give me the mounting location for a front sling swivel stud. You have a good eye for detail old boy! Its not quite finished but close enough for folks to get an "Idea" of what it will look like. I am headed out to the shop to do that very thing now and will post a pic for you when I get it done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!!!! Great work and thanks for the pics. Super .22, but the 336 trips my trigger. Life is good.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by sir_springer
That's really impressive! Love what you did with the old .22! Awesome!

Thanks Sir Springer,

I dont know what it is about that little .22 project, but , everyone seems to like it! On a goof I put the ebony recoil lug inserts in when I had some material left over from the fore end tip and buttstock (Ebony also).

I had a lot of fun doing that little rifle. I am actually considering putting one of the banded ramp NECG front sights on it. It would really look like a "Dangerous Game rifle" then! Ha ha!

I just finished rebuilding an old lathe trying to learn how to turn metal. Its finished and running like a champ!

[Linked Image]

I may attempt to reproduce the sight on it instead of dropping 100.00 bucks for the real thing smile Have fun!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bubba does great work!

Please post a pic when you get it all together.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buba,
That looks fantastic ! For my aesthetics, I would mill off what you don't need of that scope base with all the notches in it.

Your taste may differ ! Enjoy and keep up the good work.

Rolly
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
everybody knows all you have to do to bubba a 336 is to drill the bullseye on the butt stock for your rear sling stud.

grin

very neat project, you aint bubba. grin

Something clever here.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I'm thinking the infamous stock compass would be the crowning touch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.