-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's still there. I'm tempted to buy this one myself, if just for the action. This one has obviously been carried a little, but not shot much. I'm thinking that would be the perfect action for that .338-06 I've been wanting to have built.

Last edited by ltppowell; 06/08/09.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do it Pat...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This will be of absolutely no help but it is an intersting fact related to your search.

I went to the woods with my uncle and father for decades. My father carried a ruger M77 RSI (18 1/2" barrel) in .308 Win and my uncle carried a Ruger M77 (22" barrel) in .30-06. My uncle preferred 180gr bullets for elk and 150gr for deer in his '06, while my dad liked 165gr for everything in his .308.

You could fill a long freight train with the deer and elk those two piled up, but I'll be damned if I could tell you the difference between the the two rifles/cartridges in their performance on game. If somebody asked me to try, I'd have to say, "Dead even."

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
This will be of absolutely no help but it is an intersting fact related to your search.

I went to the woods with my uncle and father for decades. My father carried a ruger M77 RSI (18 1/2" barrel) in .308 Win and my uncle carried a Ruger M77 (22" barrel) in .30-06. My uncle preferred 180gr bullets for elk and 150gr for deer in his '06, while my dad liked 165gr for everything in his .308.

You could fill a long freight train with the deer and elk those two piled up, but I'll be damned if I could tell you the difference between the the two rifles/cartridges in their performance on game. If somebody asked me to try, I'd have to say, "Dead even."

... and that just proves that

- your uncle was the loony,
- your farther did not know any better,

and for you, there is absolutly no help. laugh

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cmg

and for you, there is absolutly no help. laugh

Apparently not. After all my experience with those two and their .308 vs .30-06 discussions, I ended up liking the .270 Win!

Last edited by seattlesetters; 06/08/09.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Greg, 'cause I never buy a gun for "parts" without shooting it as is, to make sure it's not already a tack-driver. I would bet this one is and don't need a 30-06.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a 700 ADL just like that one on Gunbroker.
I bought it new in 1967, and never have scoped it. It shoots better every year.

If you live in Maine, you are unlikely to have a shot at deer or moose over 100 yards, and you are going to end up with a .30-30 sooner or later, so you might as well start looking for a nice used Marlin 336.

Then get yourself a Marlin 39 .22 LR to keep it company, and practice cheaply on a very similar rifle. You'll soon have enough confidence that you'll never need anything more than that .30-30 for deer, bear or moose in Maine. But I hope you end up with a rack full of .30-06s, .270s, and some cranky stuff.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I disagree with the statement that shots over 100 yards in Maine are unlikely.

Of course that depends on where he's hunting in Maine, but there is a lot of big country up there, and if you're in logging country you'll have clearcuts that are much bigger than 100 yards.

I don't disagree with a 30-30 being a good choice for closer country, but there are some very big woods in the north woods of New England and the game is sparse as well. Being able to shot quickly when necessary is important, as is being adequately prepared to shoot for distance.

Your milage may vary, but heading into the north woods, I'm carring something with more range than a 30-30.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger 77 Stainless, .30-'06, Leupold 4x scope, 165 Partitions...

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can't argue with the .30-06, since I have been shooting one since I was 14, starting with a borrowed Model 70. And where I grew up hunting was a lot thicker woods that anything in Maine. My father, being a WWII vet, thought the .30-06 was beyond improvement.

This young fellow didn't say how soon he wanted to buy, or how much money he wanted to spend. That auction at GunBroker shows what kind of deals are out there on nice, used Model 700s (and Rugers).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or pick up an old JC Higgins Model 50 on an FN action and do not look back!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
jlovell Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sorry for the delay on responding and thank you again for all the input.

So just to clear up any questions. I have settled on a .30-06. This took a decent amount of debate. I also intend on buying a bolt action.

I don't intend on buying it till August, there are multiple reasons for this. One being I want to give myself plenty of time to make sure I am not making a rash decision as this is a significant investment. Also, till august I won;t be in a location I will be able to shoot it anyway.

I thought the remmington 700 on gunbroker looked nice but I am not in a position to buy right now. Thank you for posting the link as I was unfamiliar with the site and now I can cruise it and get a general idea on prices and when something is a deal.

I am a little hesitant to buy a gun online mainly due to unfamiliarity. I'd like to be able to hold it and physically look at it before I buy it. What are people's general experiences with buying guns online?

I'm actually surprised I never included a price range before. My budget is about 700 with a little (very little) of flexibility. This is total. I can either just buy a rifle and hold off a little while and get a good scope later or I can get both. It doesn't bother me either way as long as i don't sacrifice quality. If buying a scope now means significant sacrificing quality than I can wait for a scope, I'm fine with that.

Thanks for all the responses

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buying firearms on-line is no different than anything else, except that it must received by an FFL. Most will receive it for you for a small fee. It is a great way to determine the true value of a gun. What people will pay for something is it's true value.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can get a fine outfit for $700. A Fullfield II or Bushnell 3200 will run you $200 or so leaving $500 for rifle and mounts. With a Ruger 77 the rings are usually included even on used guns. Buying online is USUALLY not a big risk. If you see something that interests you on gunbroker or auctionarms email/call the seller and ask all the questions you have. If they don't want to talk don't buy. And it's not out of the question to find an online listing within driving distance.

Here's a real cutie close to your price and already bloodied.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130589398

or an old round top 77
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130546032

or a really classic round top with open sights and a Leupold 2-7 made in 1974 for $550 (so far)!!! Wish I had an extra few bills.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130909848

Then again, everybody needs a 30-30. FWIW

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jlovell,

If you are located close enough, check out the gun dept at Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, ME. You can also check out their inventory on-line at their website. Not everything they sell is priced right but there are some good deals there if you get some knowledge as to what to look for.

The weekly Uncle Henry's is another place to look if you want a local FTF purchase.

Last edited by carbon12; 06/11/09. Reason: added text
T
T
Look at the .308 Win. It is a world-class target round and basically the equal of the .30-06 on game. It kicks a tiny bit less, too.

+1 on the .308, "inherently accurate" is the most used phrase when describing the cartridge. Sometimes something or the combination of variables is just right, this is a perfect example of the quintessential American classic cartridge. Perfect for a "Do it all" gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tractorshaft
Look at the .308 Win. It is a world-class target round and basically the equal of the .30-06 on game. It kicks a tiny bit less, too.

+1 on the .308, "inherently accurate" is the most used phrase when describing the cartridge. Sometimes something or the combination of variables is just right, this is a perfect example of the quintessential American classic cartridge. Perfect for a "Do it all" gun.

Well Tractorshaft, I knew I liked you from the start (the 336 project was really cool) but you just solidified it with the .308 comments!!!
Looks like you, me and seattlesetters are of the same mindset!

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow. That NIB 7'm Mag Liberty went for $450. And the unfired 7x57 doesn't even have a bid at $495 min. I mean, what new rifle worth having can you get for $495? I sure picked a bad time to quit having money.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,035
Posts18,500,691
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.