Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of folk have been running out since the election to buy expensive black rifles, as if there weren't already Guv'mint microchips in 'em, and as if the BATF won't play special attention to THOSE yellow forms....

HA! I have done you all one better cool

Tho it ain't actually black...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...or rifled...

[Linked Image]

...or even considered a firearm in most States. In fact it works sorta like a zippo lighter (pretty clever idea, I'm surprised more folks ain't picked up on it yet).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Near as I can tell using American components, all assembled by a skilled American cool

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
where is the clip?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In my pocket. It uses these little paper bundles of powder with a big lead ball in 'em. You just bite the paper, sprinkle a little powder into the dish in that lighter-looking thing, and drop everything else down that big hole at the end of the barrel cool

Amazing!

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
now that, birdy, is a work of art. truly beautiful.

let's go shoot it! or can you find any powder? want me to unloosen a few 06 rounds?

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very nice!

Now, please tell me your possibles bag is in multicam!? grin

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've got a home made assault rifle too. 200 years obsolete.
[Linked Image]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What shreck said! Very nice black rifle!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now THAT is a nice black rifle! And you won't need to worry about buying a case of ammo for it with the ammo shrtage going on.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome, Birdwatcher. What are the details?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

P
P
I'm being forced to choose between an AR15 and a Ruger .22-250 bolt-action. To be used for sport and small~medium game. I intend to reload for more fun. I have dies for both. ARs are going for $475~525, while the Ruger is asking $595. ARs are plentiful and polymer. Ruger is nice zebra-stripe wood. Have seen no other like it in 6 gun-shops. Neither has a scope. Which would you suggest, and why. I'll buy one this week. Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinGeez, when I aimed you at Ticonderoga last June, I guess I contributed to the delinquency of a looney grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yepper... cause and effect 'Twin, it all went downhill from there...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThat'll teach ya to listen to me! grin Good thing for you that ya wuzn't hanging around me long enuff to light off a few from the Sharps! You'd REALLY be screwed then grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When Flints are outlawed,

Only outlaws will have fire.

I said that.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful. Details?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Its a fowler from TVM... http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

20 gage (.615 cal), 42" smooth bore, base grade maple stock. Colonial Virginia lock (1" flint) instead of standard Siler (3/4" flint) http://flintlocks.com/locks4.htm

Weighs a bit over 7 lbs, you get to pick the length of pull, the wait is about six months. I went with the base grade stock on account of fine grain weren't valued much back then, especially on workingman's guns. But for about another $100 you can get a gun that is knocked out of the ballpark pretty.

Versatile as a shotgun and period-correct from the French and Indian War through the end of the Fur Trade. I woulda preferred dull steel furniture, but that didn't appear until the late 1700's.

Rifles get all the attention, but it turns out that smoothbores were more usual. Even "smooth rifles" (smoothbores that look just like Kentucky rifles) outnumbered their rifled equivalents in the hands of settlers, even in Rev. War "rifle" units.

There's good evidence suggesting that it was actually the Indian trade with Pennsylvania that drove the development of the rifled longrifle, http://www.americanlongrifles.com/american-longrifle-kentucky-rifle-story.htm We know that Indians along the Ohio had rifles by the 1750's and valued them highly, our own longhunters maybe copying the Indians in that preference a generation later.

In the meantime I got me an "everyman, everywhere gun", correct for Ticonderoga thru the Alamo, that could have showed up in the hands of most anybody. I intend to work up round ball loads for it. And with shot I'll finally have a good excuse for all them doves I've been missing. In fact, I'm gonna miss with class... grin

Now I have to go out and put honest wear on it, they say too that rubbing used patches on all that shiny brass will get it functionally dull pretty quick.

Birdwatcher

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Very nice. Those can be a lot of fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Birdwatcher, nice piece you have there. Use it well.

On the matter of smoothbores and contrary to what most think, it was the shotgun that won the west, not all the other popular misconceptions. Average Joe settler had a smoothbore and they outnumbered the other by fair margin. It was smoothbores that predominated in Washington's Army as well, although he did recruit frontier riflemen early in the conflict, much to the dismay of the Redcoats. Different concepts employed in different fashion. The rifles cut a wide swath through the Officer ranks in the King's Army FWIW.

Lest anyone be confused on the subject, flintlocks won the most important war ever fought.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I hadn't had all my guns turned into slag at the smelter I'd still have this black rifle.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2500HD, 160user, 36 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,575
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.