Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ingwe
Like the European mounts Dan... grin
Ingwe

I agree with Ingwe.....sweet mounts. Ingwe, what's that waterbuck weigh, or in other words how big are those things?

JGR; Waterbuck are pretty rotund and compact, body wise, deducting the usual over guesstimation, I'd say about 600 lbs. on the hoof....and yeah, they smell just like Ruark described...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KirkEDGE
We need to have a columbian blacktail in this lineup, here's one that nets 145" and some change.........and it's from California!

[Linked Image]

Hey I know that guy.

Ugly dude and a dink deer... grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats why I put junk on here like a Waterbuck...so RL wouldn't know if it was a "dink" or not... laugh
Or would he?... confused
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My biggest bull alongside my big Nontypical mule deer.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing the waterbuck at 30-31", am I close? I love the bullseye on the butt of them criters. Tom

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tom, you are gonna hate me for this, and think I'm full of self-righteousness...but I never measured him! laugh Still haven't to this day.....
Learned a long time ago to enjoy the hunt, not the take, and most of my stuff is unmeasured...when somebody asks " How big was he???"
My stock answer is " He was big enough to shoot..."
Doesn't much matter past that point... wink
Ingwe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 6 mounts on my walls and one at the taxidermists from last fall and I am like you never measured a one of them. The only reason I guesstimated your waterbuck is that is what I did for clients for about 7 years. I have on occasion measured the inside/outside spread on my whitetails but that was all. I can guesstimate pretty close most of the time but on the hoof is always tricky. Like you if it's big enough to shoot it's big enough. Tom

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I remember measuring a Mule deer once when I got him home ( a quick inside/outside spread thing) to see if he was bigger than one I already had on the wall ( had to go inside and measure him...) to see if I should take my latest to the taxidermist. I did.... forgive me if youve seen me post this before...
[Linked Image]
Ingwe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice mule deer and nice brow tines. Alot of mule deer have either no brow tines or very small, I'd be happy with that one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

My PH measured it at 58"; I didn't care.

Another "trophy" I never measured.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by goodnews; 06/13/09.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, you should be proud of that ghost of the forest.That's one of the nicest kudos I've seen. Symetrical, ivory tips and length.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats a dandy! laugh Ive only ever seen a couple like that, shot none of them...!
Your PH measured this one too...but he sure didn't make 58"!
[Linked Image]
Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very nice Ingwe! In regards to my kudu, you know JH doesn't get too excited but he was just a little when he measured to 58"

edited to add: I think the greater southern kudu is one of the most regal, graceful animals on four feet. All that and they are delicious on the table too.

Last edited by goodnews; 06/14/09.
REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm much like Ingwe, don't worry much about the measure. It's more about the adventure.... Dropped this guy with my 300 WSM @ 75 yards. Sounds like a nice easy shot but I had climbed the hills for 4 dyas before stumbling on this guy.
[Linked Image]

This guy was the best trophy. A very old Duiker. He was blind in the right eye. The infection in the eye had his day's numbered. 100 yards with a 22 Hornet.
[Linked Image]

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by goodnews

Very nice Ingwe! In regards to my kudu, you know JH doesn't get too excited but he was just a little when he measured to 58"

edited to add: I think the greater southern kudu is one of the most regal, graceful animals on four feet. All that and they are delicious on the table too.

Speaking of regal and good on the table, thought I'd better throw this boy into the mix..

[Linked Image]

And REJ; your old duiker being a good trophy reminded me of this guy...an really old Hartebeest, blind in one eye, 75% of sight gone in the other, horns all worn down...pretty cool old boy...

[Linked Image]
Ingwe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Couldn't help myself....had to take a cheap shot and force another pic of my '06 Sonora buck down your throats...
[img][IMG]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/JGrimes_2007/PC150113.jpg[/img][/img]

You could post a pic of that deer every day, and I still wouldnt get tired of looking at it! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe, beautiful sable and hartebeest. I once saw a sable mounted on a pedistal in a manner that it looked like a chess piece. The pedistal was a dark black and it looked magnificent. Any sable looks magnificent I guess, no matter how it is mounted. A black buck mounted the same way was also an excellent display. You sure have some great trophies. Tom

Last edited by TomA; 06/14/09. Reason: sp
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Tom...
KCB...I am sure not tired of looking at that Mule deer either...I have a real "thing" for them!
Ingwe

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Tom...
I'm editing this on the fly so don't know how this is gonna go, but I did a "european" mount of the old Hartebeest...that one was special cause I got him hunting with the guy who was, at that time, the oldest licensed PH in Namibia, and we snuck up on him and shot him with an iron-sighted .303...Once we looked at his eyes we found out why we snuck up on him as easily as we did!
KCB...I am sure not tired of looking at that Mule deer either...I have a real "thing" for them!
Ingwe

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Those are beauts fellas. Thanks for the kind words on my muley, I know how very lucky I was that day.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.