Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
ULA65 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
What's everyone using for climbing stands these days? I need something which I can get around some large diameter pines. I was leaning towards Summit pretty hard, however, I have heard some reports of cable slippage around the tree (coated cable). I was also looking the Lone Wolf (XL belt). I want something for all day rifle sitting and also early/late season bowhunting. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Summit Viper that I really like. It is extremely comfortable for an all-day sit. I've never had a problem with cable slippage, although I suspect that could happen. My only difficulty with the Viper is that it does not fold flat for carrying, but that's not too big of a problem. I would buy another.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine are all Summits now. Stay away from the Magnum unless your'e really big, it's just not as comfortble. I've never heard anything bad about Lone Wolf from the guys up north putting them on "hard barked" trees either.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm going to try a new one this fall, a Treewalker. Bought it over the winter to replace a Summit. The position of the side supports is different from the Summit. Seems a bit more comfortable and definitely quieter. We'll see.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lone wolf will stick to the pine tree no problem... but you will have to be tough to sit all day. I love mine (both hand climber and fixed alpha assault with 4 sticks) but all day comfort is not part of the deal with the small seat. I wanted light and quiet and that I got. I also wanted to be able to get two stands in one tree and I can do that with my 10 year old son no problem. He carries his own fixed in and I carry my fixed stand and the sticks. Works awesome.
I would look long and hard at the new Muddy sticks and their hang on and I think they may have a climber too, but Im not sure about that.
The LW climber is light and fast and quiet, but with the climbing sticks I go right up a tree with branches or other stuff and gain cover and flexibility in location choice.

Link
http://www.gomuddy.com/home/sticks

Last edited by Bob_B257; 06/15/09.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Lone Wolf Alpha Sit & Climb and could not be happier.
I see they now offer a wide version for more room if you need it.
It is well designed - I also use wolf jaws that hold my Mathews between my legs with a forward lean and really like that option.
I have used it on a variety of trees and not had any problems. Having used it on the hard smooth bark of alders as well, with no problems with gripping - I think that is really pretty impressive.
Now.... if I can just figure out a way to stop falling asleep in the thing. wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Summit Broadhead backpacker (I think). It folds flat, is reasonably quiet and very comfortable. Good for bow or gun. I like it better than my buddies Lone Wolf but his is lighter if you have a long walk in.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
U
ULA65 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Thanks for all the input so far. It seems if comfort is the main objective Summits will probably win. If portability is the main, then I believe the Lone Wolf wins. Of course this is only from what I have read so far and not actual field testing, hence the reason for this post

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Summit Viper here too...light, comfy, easy to affix to the tree.

But I don't hunt much from a perch anymore.....

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ULA
my Lone wolfs are the lightest ones they make.
I gave up comfort for portability in the thick stuff.
But their fuller seat climber will be comfortable and you will not look twice if you ever set up with a partner and his summit. My buddy and I hunt together and his summit is noisy to get up a tree in due to the hollow tube and hard cable.

I will say again that you should consider the sticks and a hang on if you hunt in trees that are not all straight and without limbs. I can get up a tree faster in a climber, but I go with sticks more now because no tree is out of the running with them.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B3

U
ULA65 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone out there have a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb? I am looking some owner reviews if possible.

//Thanks//

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ULA65
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone out there have a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb? I am looking some owner reviews if possible.

//Thanks//

Mine is - review above. smile

U
ULA65 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Thanks Bitt, I must have been half asleep and missed your post.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Summit Viper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
API "Grand Slam". Tough as nails, easy to climb.

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I used to use a Loggy and loved it until I used a buddies summit. I now own a Summit Viper and love it. I can't believe how easy it is to set up and have never felt like it would slip unless you go to stand up and really jar the stand. The summit actually packs pretty comfortable.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 7 climbers and end up using my Summit open shot more than any of them. It's great for bow hunting, but it is not the safest climber by any means(hand climber). For an experienced climber hunter, it's a good bow stand. Summits are light, easy to hook on a tree, easy to climb with, and fairly quiet.

Have a Good One,

loder

K
K
You can't go wrong with either the summit or the lone wolf. They both are great stands!

Kyle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the SUMMIT and don't look back. I've got the Goliath and 2 Open Shots. Take food, water, and a pee jug and you can stay all day. You can nap safley in the Goliath also!!!! grins

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Still have a Loggy Bayou climber that see's limited duty....but now running with a Lone Wolf and their climbing sticks,takes about the same time to set up,they pack easily,are light and I can get into just about any tree even with many limbs

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.