Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JayTx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ordered my .280 AI a little over a month ago, and was impressed to hear that I'll likely get it before I go Elk Hunting this fall. I'm trying to get everything here to start loading for it and shooting it as soon as it arrives (mid-august?).

After reading so many articles, reviews, opinions, experiences, findings, etc. on the myriad of available 7mm bullets out there, I'm starting to go in circles here.

Rifle is a Bullberry Encore 280imp, 24" tube @ 1-9 twist.

Settled on Nosler Brass. (Will get into fire forming later when time allows.)

Have a few different powders on hand (IMR 4831, 4350, RL22).

Have Primers (WLR, and CCI200).

All I need is projectiles!

Thinking about Nolser AB's, Swift Sirocco II's, Hornady IB's. All in the 140-150 weights.

As you can see, I'm leaning toward the bonded cup and core stuff. Not ruling out Partitions, A-frames, TSX's, or TTSX's either.

Now for the questions: (Again, 280 imp. velocities)

For Elk,

What would YOU start with? Why?

What bullet will expand reliably @ lower velocities but still have the best weight retention at higher velocities?

Any bullet y'all would consider in a lighter weight range? Why?

I do realize I'm asking what is the perfect bullet, and there is no one "perfect" bullet out there. Anything come close?

And finally;
Any questions I'm not asking that I should be?

Or any that I asked improperly?

I'm going back and forth on BC's, SD, weight retention, reliable expansion, etc.. I'm reading so many reports of various bullets that my brain is getting overloaded with info, and some is no doubt leaking out.

All experiences are appreciated.

Jay, Tx

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Of those you have listed, the only one I have experience with is the 140 Accubond in 270. And so far, it has worked exceptionally well with a limited sample size.

That's what I'd start with from your list. YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot lots of deer with 280 rem (140's) but never tried it on elk.

I think any of the bullets that you listed would do a nice job for you, but am curious to know why you wouldn't consider the 160s on elk?

I know a lot of guys that swear by the 7mag and 160gr partitions or A-frames. Old school.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 99guy

I know a lot of guys that swear by the 7mag and 160gr partitions or A-frames. Old school.

Good advice.I would guess that the AI can be loaded to give around 3000 fps (26" barrel and Nosler data)for a 160 gr bullet,and know that a Partition works about to perfection on elk.The Aframe should give a wider frontal area,more weight retention;but either way there is not much,including elk, that I'd hesitate to shoot with either of those bullets.Either one should do a great job on elk from the AI.

I was on the scene to see a little gal dump a big 6 point on his nose at over 450 yards with the 160 Partition from a 7 RM.I suspect results would not be much different from an AI.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I both shoot 160 Partitions in our .280s for elk (mine is an AI, hers a standard). I would not hesitate to use AccuBonds, A-Frames or Scirocco IIs in either rifle, but would stick with 160s for elk rather than going lighter. I have no experience with Interbonds. In the 7mm Rem Mag, I prefer 175s...JMO.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In my experience, the Accubonds and the Partitions seem to perform very similarly on elk. So, of the bullets you list, I would go with the Accubonds first, and if those didn't shoot as accurately as you'd like, I'd try the Partitions. I wouldn't mess with the Interbonds or the Scirrocos unless I found I had to. I also agree with the others here and would start with a heavier bullet than the 140 gr. The 160 grain bullet on elk is where I'd land. I'm well aware that others have used, very successfully, the 140gr bullets on elk, but I prefer to use heavier bullets on critters of that size. I've been shooting a 7WSM recently, readying it for elk, and have done most of my work with the 160gr. Accubond, getting right around 3000fps. If you really feel the need for speed and have to have a lighter bullet, then I'd move to the 140gr. Barnes TSX. JMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it really this hard to kill Elk?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nope

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. It's easy to kill an elk. But it's fun trying to speculate what is the best way to do it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Firt two slugs I'd give a go would be the 160 Noz Part and the 160 Accu. I gotta believe that one of those would sing and would do you just fine.

If they don't wanna play nice then you could try the 150 Noz Pt, 150 NBT, the 140 Noz Pt, 140 Accu and the 160 Sierra HPBT.

Finding a bullet that will work will be easy compared to some of the rest of the hunt...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There has not been a bullet mentioned in this thread that will not do the job. I killed many elk with a 7mm Rem mag shooting 154 Hornady interlocks. Pick a bullet and buy some freezer wrap.

8mmwapiti

JayTx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I guess my mind has been changed. I'm gonna go with a 160 gr bullet. From what I've been reading here and elsewhere, I'm gonna start out with the Nosler AB's and see how they shoot. The partitions will be next on the menu, if the AB's don't group well.

Thanks,
Jay

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"I'm gonna go with a 160 gr bullet."

You won't be sorry.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 99guy
"I'm gonna go with a 160 gr bullet."

Good choice. I settled on TBBCs because I got a good deal on 200, but I'm sure the Noslers will do fine.

"Hunting in the wilderness is of all pastimes the most attractive" Teddy Roosevelt 1893

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TBBC's are awesome. I have lots of experience with them in my 300. Good luck!

Last edited by 99guy; 06/15/09.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Poster: 99guy
Subject: Re: Bullet selection?

Nope. It's easy to kill an elk. But it's fun trying to speculate what is the best way to do it.

How true....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's tougher to get a tag.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ain't that the truth!

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Howdy Jay,

I have had a 280 AI built by Jarrett for, oh, 25 years or so and it is on its third barrel...I won't mention numbers of game animals, but the barrels were shot out from usage, not neglect. You indeed picked a great caliber...I am a huge fan of the AI. Two things jumped out at me regarding comments: One, most are chambered for the 140 grain variety of bullets (1/9-1/10 twist)....don't be surprised if the 160 grain is a smidgen less accurate, but who knows, your rifle may love it, no big deal though. Through all three barrels IMR-4831 and RL-22 was a common denominator with respect to prefered powders. WLR and 210 M Primers as well. Two: you mentioned fire forming Nosler brass. Nosler has 280 AI brass already on the market...you can forget about fireforming if you choose to!

With elk, I would certainly go with the status quo on this thread....160 grain bullets, and on a personal note I would stick with Partitions or TBBC's and stay away from anything named Barnes (asbestos underwear firmly in place...flame away!) Don't be afraid to give up a little bit of accuracy to get a little better terminal performance as a a friend of mine on this thread drilled into me awhile back!

Sincere best of luck this fall....be sure to post a hero pic!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
JayTx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
In regards to fire forming.....I meant I was going to get into fireforming other brass later. I will be starting out with the Nosler improved brass. My plan is to start with it, and hunt with it this year.

At some point I'm gonna form some 30-06 brass to .280, then fireform it. All in hopes of getting essentially a tight necked round in my min. SAMMI spec'd. chamber. I'm hoping that squeezing the '06 down will give me some more neck wall thickness so I can get equipped, and start learning about neck turning. Or at least be able to true them up and get a little more consistency in this dept. than the standard fare.

A few reasons for this train of thought on my part;

#1- I have close to 1,000 rnds of '06 brass and only one '06 rifle, that I rarely even use.

#2- Nosler is pretty proud of their brass @ $55-60 per 50rnds. Almost what Lapua costs.

#3- I've been reading some posts about Nosler brass being too soft.

#4- Simply for the experience. This will be training for my next rifle (caliber YTBD) which will have a match chamber (neck turning and all), and will likely be of the AI variety as well.

Any yes, I am willing to sacrifice a LITTLE accuracy for the larger bullets. But I hope not too. I'll never know the difference this year though, because if I do get the rifle in time for my Elk hunt (which has been assured I will) I will be focused on the 160's for load development. So I'll either use those or my 7-08 w/140's for deer this year. It won't be until after deer season that I get to get in into serious load development with this gun to see what it really likes.

It's guaranteed to shoot under 1 MOA, And that will suffice just fine, for the time being. If I can't get it closer to 1/2 that after some serious tinkering, the barrel might just be on the market. I'm keeping a positive outlook though. I just wish the next two months would fly on by so it'd get here.

Thanks for the advice,
Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,415
Posts18,507,197
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.